Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Gee, I'm really sorry to hear about your N9. The Maryland meetup was really fun and I enjoyed the enthusiasm everyone had. I certainly learned quite a bit. As it turned out, shortly after that meetup I decided to put my N9 back in it's box. Even though it is beautifully designed and this community is great, Nokia's support was basically nonexistent and I didn't want to tackle all the security issues that made easy Debian difficult to implement. I also felt burned because Nokia scrapped the version with the hardware keyboard which is what I really wanted in the first place. So for now I use the Galaxy Note 1 and 2. It's not the same as a "community centric linux" device but they are quite capable devices and the XDA folks have done some really nice work you can take advantage of. I had never used android before so I looked at it as an opportunity to learn something new. There are pluses and minuses to most things you try and there are certainly things I do not like about android. Most of that has been discussed here on maemo but I still considered it a good experience overall. Maybe I'll try Jolla or Ubuntu or just get a Note 3 next year. Whatever I choose I hope to have fun with and learn more, albeit at my slow pace...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
#fightthefuture dont go android or Iphone they are doomed and probadly has similar issues. Today the world is nuts and companys want us to buy new devices after a year.

I do think you and others issues is that those stupid company, named Nokia, did buy the cheepest MMC memorys they got and put them in the nokia N9. I know some more people who got problem wihtheyr N9:s lattely (responstime with SMS etc...)

And that in combination with tracker indexing makes the memory gets corrupt and MMC dies way before it should

Someone should check the output of syslog or dmesg maybe there is a hint...

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2013-07-26 at 21:25.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Theres nothing a good'ol flash wont cure.

Just a 'normal' guy who Loves N9
Twittter: https://twitter.com/MunimZahid
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ModestAtTheTop

The Following User Says Thank You to MeeNu For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by wook_sf View Post
You need to accept that it really will not replace desktop/laptop and you need to let it be.
It's quite funny, as N900 really does replace laptop for all my traveling needs, and I know people that use N900 as desktop, even.

So, I guess, it's rather matter of choosing wrong device Or wrong services - if I would start to care for "whatsapp" and friends, jumping from the bridge would become really tempting option.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 640 | Thanked: 435 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ rajvoSa BA
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
It's quite funny, as N900 really does replace laptop for all my traveling needs, and I know people that use N900 as desktop, even.

So, I guess, it's rather matter of choosing wrong device Or wrong services - if I would start to care for "whatsapp" and friends, jumping from the bridge would become really tempting option.

/Estel
It's quite funny how n9 can't compete with n900 from few aspects main one is qwerty and software, It's funny how n900 is so outdated that there's only few working. It's quite funny that I use my n950 on daily basis :-O and it replaces everything except:
Pidgin
Max3Ds
Photoshop
EasyCode
MASM32
IDA Pro
Inkscape
:-O yes, I use sms and Irc-Chatter and GTalk (I have that on symbian / android... too)

The Following User Says Thank You to wook_sf For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by wook_sf View Post
It's quite funny how n9 can't compete with n900 from few aspects main one is qwerty and software, It's funny how n900 is so outdated that there's only few working. It's quite funny that I use my n950 on daily basis :-O and it replaces everything except:
Pidgin
Max3Ds
Photoshop
EasyCode
MASM32
IDA Pro
Inkscape
:-O yes, I use sms and Irc-Chatter and GTalk (I have that on symbian / android... too)
So his problems is because he has no HWKBD now thats a wierd conclusion...

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 435 | Thanked: 684 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Netherlands 020
If most of the time you only text edit behind the desktop a N900 would be the best replacement.
Alot of funstuff can't be don on a android device before rooting and use one of those (crappy) costum kernel.

If I were you I would reflash the device or just go for John's phone.
http://www.johnsphones.com/store/joh...e-sweet/item43

Posts: 640 | Thanked: 435 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ rajvoSa BA
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
So his problems is because he has no HWKBD now thats a wierd conclusion...
Hahahahaha, if you interpret it like that.
However, once you got used to HWKBD you don't trow it away so easily...

Posts: 1,034 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Annapolis, MD
I did use my N900 as a laptop replacement. Back then there was nothing it could not do with it's little CPU. Back then, the flash plugin was totally up to date so all online content was available. The browser was unprecedented, it's cursor mode ensured compatibility with anything on the web.

But then the web "moved on". Flash was updated every few month if nothing else then just to increment the version string in the hash so as to exclude devices like the N900. Then with the half assed moves many sites made to HTML5, the browser just worked less and less well (but still better then all other mobiles)

My desktop/laptops got dust on them when I was an N900 user, but in the end it was just too much to carry around as a daily phone. Yeah, mine had an entire Gnome desktop with Easy Debian and over 40GB of iso ROMs to emulate any game I'd ever played in my youth, but it took 30 seconds for the dialer app to respond sometimes.

So I got the n9. It was never gonna be an N900, I knew that. But now it can't even be a phone that I don't' need to flash every few months. I didn't leave Nokia. Nokia left me.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cddiede For This Useful Post:
@Theox
Ever heard of VNC?

Originally Posted by cddiede View Post
Yeah, mine had an entire Gnome desktop with Easy Debian and over 40GB of iso ROMs to emulate any game I'd ever played in my youth, but it took 30 seconds for the dialer app to respond sometimes.
While I generally understand you (rest of the post) and got what you mean, I think that this exact part suggest lack of proper system management. I feel it funny, when people report those dialer problems - fixing them is as easy as have swap on correct place (sd) and few small commands. During all my years with N900, I never, ever, missed any call (including ones, where I was in middle of packaging 3GB file into tar.lzma...), nor had dialer delay.

Same apply to other parts - why on earth you would need to use gnome (bloat king), if LXDE gives all you may even need, + even some doze of bloat? And so goes on. If site moves to dirty tricks with flash user agents etc, I stop using that site - they're for me, not I for them, FFS. Only proper way of enforcing good standards, is to "vote by your legs" - use only services that are worth supporting (either directly, or via money they get from ads, etc).

And if I *really* need to use some sh|tty website for <whatever> Very Important reason, then:
a) there is almost nothing microB can't handle
b) if it doesn't, latest chromium via EasyDebian can for sure. And with proper config, does it blazing fast - well, even now, I'm writing this very post via it, due to spell-checker and tab support. Yes, for comfort. N900 handles "comfort" without any problem, if user did his homework properly.
---

As said, I get what you mean by Nokia leaving you. My point is "f**k Nokia" - I don't think Nokia owns this device or it's development for AGES. Believe me, when I think "N900" or "Maemo", Nokia isn't coming to my mind at all (anymore). Unlike with N9 or N950, which were, IMO, big mistake - mainly on side of users jumping into Harmattan bandwagon.

I think it's about how much device (it's software possibilities, etc) is "liberated" into hands of Community - N9/50 can't compare to N900 in that matter, it's totally different league. It's almost like comparing any random android phone to your desktop running your favorite flavor of GNU/Linux. Sure, some seems to call Android a "Linux phone", but, let's be serious...

/Estel

// Edit

I've said earlier, that my N900 replaced my mobile laptop usage for all intents and purposes. It's worth to add, that I'm by no means forced to do so - actually, my laptop is ultra-light (0.9 KG + battery) Core2Duo 2.6GHZ 6MB L2 cache, nVidia 8600GT 512MB DDR3 dedicated, 4GB RAM "monster". So, I definitely "do" have what to use as laptop (as I travel very much, I used that computer as my main unit, connecting it to DIY docking station,when at home).

Then, shortly after getting N900 - naturally and without any "ideology" behind it - I found less and less need to carry notebook with me, until it got re-purposed as 24/7 desktop, never leaving mentioned docking station (and will get sold on first occasion, using gained money to buy cheaper, yet more powerful, real desktop). The process was in direct proportion to me learning what I can really do with N900, and how to do it *right*.

If such picky user of mobile computing power as me, can rely on N900 for laptop purposes, I'm sure almost everyone could. It's just that sometimes, instead of improving our skills, we're tempted ot go "easy way" of spending insane money on shiny new toys (N9, I'm looking at you), that are supposed to think for us - and there, great disappointment comes, sooner or later.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2013-07-27 at 16:21.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post: