Active Topics

Posts: 52 | Thanked: 226 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ CZ & US ex-(UK/France/Switzerland/Canada)
Hey all!

I am currently living in Canada (and also have US paypal and bank accounts), however, my permanent residency is in the Czech Republic (EU). I am happy to assist anyone from US/Canada who would like to buy Sailfish X. Feel free to PM me for details.

PS: It could be that there are some 'hidden' legislation-related reasons why Jolla doesn't want to sell an OS in the region. Maybe, in order to be officially allowed to do so, you need to be co-operative with some of the three-letter organizations... I do not have any information and evidence for this so don't quote me here, I'm simply trying to come up with a plausible story that sort of makes sense. Also, we should keep in mind that Sailfish X is supposed to be (at least for now) a community project. And I bet Jolla does know us - their community - and they are definitely aware there will be many Europeans who will offer assistance to many from the US (hidden pun^TM). But do you really expect them to officially write sthing like "If we wanna sell a phone OS in the US, we need to have a backdoor for organization XYZ. So we won't do that, and you guys from the US just email your mates in EU and do what needs to be done" ? I doubt. So let's wait what will be the exact conditions, but I would be surprised if they will pro-actively fight against this gray-area of software smuggling (who would believe that there is gonna be such a thing as smuggling software). Also, we should not expect them to publicly write "guys, guys, calm down, the system is designed to be hacked"

The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to Wolda For This Useful Post:
Posts: 93 | Thanked: 358 times | Joined on Jul 2016 @ Paraguay
Originally Posted by lantern View Post
Stop acting like it's the end of the world. Buy a EU prepaid card and buy SFOS with it, stating your country as EU. Easy.
And what about payment? They said is a problem that, I don't know if you be able to use an American credit card, or a Canadian, or even a PayPal account from those countries.

Enviado desde mi F5121 mediante Tapatalk

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to meloferz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by meloferz View Post
And what about payment? They said is a problem that, I don't know if you be able to use an American credit card, or a Canadian, or even a PayPal account from those countries.

Enviado desde mi F5121 mediante Tapatalk
Don't worry, he said its easy. I'm sure all contingencies were thought through. World no longer over.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Drekkie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
Originally Posted by LouisDK View Post

It sounds like Sony can't decide if they really want you to flash your phone. You need initial firmware in order to utilize proprietary features and if you dare to unlock your bootloader a warning will get displayed every time your phone boots eventrough Sailfish X is shared collaboration between Jolla and Sony which might mean Sony don't view SailfishOS as malware.
I have zero idea how all that mess looks like ATM on X but.........
can't you do something like
Code:
fastboot flash logo SOMETHING.bin

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
I have zero idea how all that mess looks like ATM on X but.........
can't you do something like
Code:
fastboot flash logo SOMETHING.bin
it's not a motorola. it's in the bootloader.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lantern For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lantern View Post
it's not a motorola. it's in the bootloader.
😂 true
There have been some people looking at this over at XDA, but so far it’s not possible to remove this warning screen.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:
Ugh no USA again? I am the last one

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jflatt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 300 | Thanked: 962 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by jflatt View Post
Ugh no USA again? I am the last one
Yeah, I think it should be easy to get around that one though.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deprecated For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by LouisDK View Post
Jolla knew about GPLv3 in advance of the design of platform. A license Google has avoided by choosing BSD userland tools instead of the GNU counterparts and build the platform upon a homegrown Java WM instead on relaying tools used by most Linux dists.

If Jolla wants to keep developing SailfishOS as a distribution which shares many libraries and software tools with a desktop based Linux distribution they need to accept GPLv3 as they can't go on with old versions of gnu tools such as the gcc compiler or qt 5.6 forever nor can the maintain a fork of these tools for years to come.

I don't want Jolla to be the new Nokia.
Actually, the New Nokia uses lots of GPLv3 licensed tools and libraries.
So in fact you would like Jolla to be like the New Nokia...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Actually, the New Nokia uses lots of GPLv3 licensed tools and libraries.
So in fact you would like Jolla to be like the New Nokia...
You should read the recent twitter thread about Nokia (HMD Global) not unlocking the Nokia 8 bootloader.

Here is a quote of one of the replies:
You share your kernel mods because you're legally bind to. What's the point of them if the "open source community" you ment can't use them?
Hopefully Nokia (HMD Global) will change their minds (if enough people tell them to)...

Sorry, you may now return to your normal Sailfish on Xperia discussion.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to caa For This Useful Post:

Tags
sailfish os, sony xperia x