Notices

Originally Posted by DaSilva View Post
Do you plan to release this nice script to extras-devel which makes it easier to stay up2date and to install it?
Actually, yes. But I'm not entirely sure how to make it a package - especially since all it is is a file that needs to be copied to a certain location. I've seen a couple of tutorials, but they were all vague and talked about setting compile options etc for the (source) code inside...

Can one of you nice people show me a quick way to do it?

Originally Posted by RobbieThe1st View Post
Sounds like there's an error in the code - Make sure that you -save- my file(right-click, save-as) versus opening it and then saving it, or copy-pasting the contents into a file.
Just get a new copy from my link in the first post, try again. If its still giving you trouble, let me know.
Perfect
Now it work
But i have a question ... Where the kernel is allocated? In the rootfs?? Or somewhere in some chip? o.O

I'm going to flash my n900 (with Titan kernel) with the fiasco image...infact i want to try to restore e backup just made through your script... But flashing with the fiasco image even the kernel should be flashed...

And, if it isn't allocated in the rootfs, i think there should be some problems restoring the system with the backup created with the script... because the system "thinks" to have the power kernel .. there are configuration files and even some files that serve to deinstall the kernel...

So how it works? o.o

PS: excuse me for my english ..

Edit: infact the kernel can be flashed even with the maemo-flasher... so i think it isn't in the root.... :/
How can we solve it? I have to deinstall the kernel e do the backup again?

Last edited by Dany-69; 2010-07-19 at 11:56.

actually i donīt believe that this is the correct way (flasher -r "raw rootfs image" from PC) for recovering rootfs.

i tested the szenario on my device and my test ended up with a bricked rootfs. so i did some research and found that the correct format of flashing rootfs in this case (=from PC) is ubifs!
conclusion: i have to convert the raw image into ubifs format for successful flashing of rootfs via PC according to this post
can anyone confirm this conclusion or post his success story including all steps (flasher -r..)?

greets

Last edited by zement; 2010-07-19 at 15:27.

Actually, yes. But I'm not entirely sure how to make it a package - especially since all it is is a file that needs to be copied to a certain location. I've seen a couple of tutorials, but they were all vague and talked about setting compile options etc for the (source) code inside...

Can one of you nice people show me a quick way to do it?
This is a small italian tutorial that i've googletranslated
I don't know if it can be useful

http://translate.google.it/translate...56&sl=it&tl=en

Originally Posted by Dany-69 View Post
Perfect
Now it work
But i have a question ... Where the kernel is allocated? In the rootfs?? Or somewhere in some chip? o.O

I'm going to flash my n900 (with Titan kernel) with the fiasco image...infact i want to try to restore e backup just made through your script... But flashing with the fiasco image even the kernel should be flashed...

And, if it isn't allocated in the rootfs, i think there should be some problems restoring the system with the backup created with the script... because the system "thinks" to have the power kernel .. there are configuration files and even some files that serve to deinstall the kernel...

So how it works? o.o

PS: excuse me for my english ..

Edit: infact the kernel can be flashed even with the maemo-flasher... so i think it isn't in the root.... :/
How can we solve it? I have to deinstall the kernel e do the backup again?
No, its in the rootfs all right. Its just that the flasher lets you -also- copy certain things over, not only the whole FIASCO image.

Originally Posted by zement View Post
actually i donīt believe that this is the correct way (flasher -r "raw rootfs image" from PC) for recovering rootfs.

i tested the szenario on my device and my test ended up with a bricked rootfs. so i did some research and found that the correct format of flashing rootfs in this case (=from PC) is ubifs!
conclusion: i have to convert the raw image into ubifs format for successful flashing of rootfs via PC according to this post
can anyone confirm this conclusion or post his success story including all steps (flasher -r..)?

greets
Did you try flashing back to PR1.2, -then- using your root image, like it says in the first post:
Notes:
I have, occasionally, run into restore errors when restoring the RootFS. If things are majorly F'ed up(and I have done it a lot), sometimes it won't restore to a bootable condition.
In these cases, you need to:
1. Using the Flasher, flash the PR1.2 FIASCO image("flasher-3.5 -F *imagename*.img -f")
2. With the N900 still in flashing mode, flash your RootFS image with the flasher("flasher-3.5 -r rootfs-image.img -f")
This has solved the problem in all cases.
(I think there's some bit that isn't copied - look at all the different things that flashing PR1.2 does.

Also, remember - the RootFS image -is- a Ubifs image - as its a direct, bit-for-bit copy of the RootFS, which uses Ubifs.
By "raw", I meant "not inside a zip archive, etc".

Posts: 195 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Switzerland
Since before I got my N900 a couple weeks ago, I've been trying to figure out a way to backup and restore a full OS image on the N900.
With a PC, you can use a program like Norton Ghost, or any number of free alternatives, and make a full image of everything you have. You screw the OS up, all you have to do is take your backup image, wait a couple hours for it to load, and you have everything back to how it was before.

With the N900, all you have is a "settings backup" tool(which also keeps a list of installed programs). If you have custom applications or settings -not- backed up... Good luck.

Until now.

I have created an application which allows you to make full backups of the RootFS(OS), and OptFS(extra programs), and then restore said backups. These backups(at least the RootFS ones) are also compatible with Nokia's Flasher utility, so you can restore directly, if you manage to make your N900 not even boot.
Do note that this is a bootloader-based application(backup not possible with the full OS running), so you have to reboot the N900 to use it.

Screenshots:

How to install:
1. Install 'bootmenu-n900' from the extras-devel repository.
2. Download BackupMenu.item and copy it to "/etc/bootmenu.d/" on your N900(requires root).

How to use:
Reboot the N900 with the keyboard open.

Notes:
I have, occasionally, run into restore errors when restoring the RootFS. If things are majorly F'ed up(and I have done it a lot), sometimes it won't restore to a bootable condition.
In these cases, you need to:
1. Using the Flasher, flash the PR1.2 FIASCO image("flasher-3.5 -F *imagename*.img -f")
2. With the N900 still in flashing mode, flash your RootFS image with the flasher("flasher-3.5 -r rootfs-image.img -f")
This has solved the problem in all cases.
sorry I'm a noob in this case how I can swap this script / item to desktop.d ??

Last edited by PipoXtreme; 2010-07-19 at 20:23.

Originally Posted by PipoXtreme View Post
sorry I'm a noob in this case how I can swap this script / item to desktop.d ??
I don't know what you mean.
If you are asking if you can make a desktop icon(etc.) of it, the answer is no. You can't run it from inside Maemo.
You have to reboot to use it, so it can actually copy/restore without problems.
(Note: Theoretically, you could probably run it from inside maemo, but the screen would not display, and if you managed to get through all the menu-trees blind, you would end up finding that Backup would not work right, and Restore would crash the system).

Bit of an update: I finally figured out how to deb-ify my script! Now you can install it via a .deb package.

I also applied to be able to upload to extras-devel, so hopefully in a couple of days it will be up there, for your easy-update pleasure.

Edit:
Gees, this stuff's complicated. I got access to Extras-Devel, but now I need a .changes file, and apparently I can't upload the .deb file I made using this howto...

Last edited by RobbieThe1st; 2010-07-20 at 11:15.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RobbieThe1st For This Useful Post:
Bit of an update: I finally figured out how to deb-ify my script! Now you can install it via a .deb package.

I also applied to be able to upload to extras-devel, so hopefully in a couple of days it will be up there, for your easy-update pleasure.

Edit:
Gees, this stuff's complicated. I got access to Extras-Devel, but now I need a .changes file, and apparently I can't upload the .deb file I made using this howto...
Robbie. I am running into conflicts between bootmenu-n900 and multiboot (for NIT). Do you know if your app is compatible with multiboot?
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

Originally Posted by Bratag View Post
Robbie. I am running into conflicts between bootmenu-n900 and multiboot (for NIT). Do you know if your app is compatible with multiboot?
Quote, page 2 #18:
I just took a look at it - it probably -won't-, at least not by copying it into /etc/multiboot.d/.
You can -probably- get it to work the same by:
1. at the boot prompt, press C for console.
2. type "/path/to/BackupMenu.item"
If that doesn't work, make sure its marked as executable by running:
"chmod +x /path/to/BackupMenu.item".

Now, someone well versed in writing item files for MultiBoot -might- be able to convince it to drop to a shell and then excecute it, but I can't do it.

Either way, go ahead and experiment - Though the latter is fairly unlikely.

-Rob