Active Topics

Hi maemo-talk,

as this is my first post because I very recently bought my own n900, I firstly want to say hello to everybody!

First about my setup: I flashed my n900 with the pwnphone image and downloaded some additional apps I liked from the repos. Everything went fine so far.

Very recently I got some alerts, that messages can neither be sent, nor received, because I am running low on internal memory. I checked my rootfs and found out, that it only has 22 mb left on it (a query on a search engine revealed, that this appears to be a very common problem which evolves from the small root-partition with very fast access to speed up the phone....)

So far so good.

But now, I don't receive these messages anymore but instead am completely refused to do some changes on my phone:
  • I cannot delete messages from my sms inbox
  • I cannot change my tracker cfg (pressing "save" will do nothing)
  • I cannot install updates on any app or the OS (message is - of course - about a low memory state)

Most recently, I even can't use aptitude anymore (it says "unable to write to /var/cache/apt", no matter which operation I try to perform with apt-get...)

I know, what most of you would advise in the first place. "Reflash everything and there you go.."
But this is against my nature as I developed a real weakness for debugging and I surely won't be satisfied until I get the cause (I could end up with the exact same problem after the reflash anyways - I bought the phone three days ago..)

TL;DR:
Are there any known bugs about some syspaths being locked as soon as there is few space left? Any other possible origins for the trouble I am encountering?
Is there another advice on getting the rootfs-problem out of the world (I tried moveroot.sh, but with almost no success: 300kb were freed)

Thank you so much in advance, guys!
best regards

Last edited by printf_this; 2012-05-07 at 11:17. Reason: typo

The Following User Says Thank You to printf_this For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
I'd say you need to fsck -a your partitions as that is most probable the cause of your lack of writing rights.

Lovely to read you'd rather tinker with your device, than simply reflash it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to anthonie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
I have 4MB left @/ and 5MB@MyDocs and still running.

Last edited by don_falcone; 2012-05-07 at 11:05.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by anthonie View Post
I'd say you need to fsck -a your partitions as that is most probable the cause of your lack of writing rights.

Lovely to read you'd rather tinker with your device, than simply reflash it.
Good idea. Currently booting backupmenu to check.. reporting in after fsck. Thanks.

Originally Posted by don_falcone
I have 4MB left @/ and still running.
okay, nice fact, thanks. so it is not a problem of an autolock or something but rather some corruption at os / fs level...

Last edited by printf_this; 2012-05-07 at 11:09.

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
I'd assume FS corruption. Please report back!

BTW, Don_F, that's the lowest amount of free space I've seen in use without people freaking out!

okay, so now I'm stuck on entering backupmenu:

booting with keyboard out.
error appears:
"error: cp /usr/sbin/evkey /tmp/disk/usr/sbin/ Code: 1
cp: can't stat 'usr/sbin/evkey: No such file or directory...
Press any key to continue..."

which also appeared during pwnphone image installation, but back then, I just pressed any key and continued to backupmenu. This time hitting any key available simply won't do nothing. I also tried to reinstall / update backupmenu (which was successful), but that didn't change anything...

Last edited by printf_this; 2012-05-07 at 11:51. Reason: typo

Okay, I think I just need to put my head into all this and get way more experienced with the maemo system architecture before I can tinkle efficiently. Reflashing now...

Thread can be closed, thanks for your help!

Posts: 539 | Thanked: 518 times | Joined on May 2010 @ nanaurbusiness
Code:
cp /usr/bin/evkey /usr/sbin/evkey
should have fixed the backupmenu issue

N900 ~ $ make me a sandwich
-bash: no, make it yourself
N900 ~ $ sudo make me a sandwich
-bash: ok then...

The Following User Says Thank You to J4ZZ For This Useful Post: