Hi,

Is there an easy and quick way to reboot the device ? I only have seen "shutdown" but not a "reboot" entry when pressing the power on/off button ? Can I modify the popup menu ?

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
/etc/systemui/systemui.xml

Uncomment the appropriate lines.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
How do you access this file exactly ? And even better, how can I save it ?

You must be root. Install either becomeroot or easyroot.

Then
Code:
vi /etc/systemui/systemui.xml
dd deletes the current line. (You can delete the two lines with the start comment and the end comment.)
ZZ saves and exits.
:q! exits without saving.
Other vi commands are available in many online resources.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Perfect explanation.

Is there any real difference between switching off and on and rebooting?

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Saves time.

The Following User Says Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
Saves time.
Yeah, it's mostly just a timesaver (well, and a potential way to avoid the power-on issues associated with pre-51-3 firmware, but that's another story—there are a few things that go on differently compared to switching off and switching on on the extremely technical side, but none of that should concern a user). Instead of the device powering off and the user having to manually turn it back on, the device just powers itself back on.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 45 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Austria
I never knew that I wanted this feature but it's pretty handy

Posts: 546 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Winnipeg, Canada
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Yeah, it's mostly just a timesaver (well, and a potential way to avoid the power-on issues associated with pre-51-3 firmware, but that's another story—there are a few things that go on differently compared to switching off and switching on on the extremely technical side, but none of that should concern a user). Instead of the device powering off and the user having to manually turn it back on, the device just powers itself back on.
On thing I do notice is that when using bootemu to boot off an sd card, if I reboot I get a chance to hit the menu key to select the boot target (a frustratingly short chance, I might add, but that's for another topic), but if I shutdown (which I will try to do after missing the aforementioned option), then I do not get the bootemu option at all. Since I just have a factory flash internally without becomeroot or cousins installed (a choice), I then have to remove the battery to do a 'hard' reboot so I get the bootmenu option back. I'll have to at least apply this change to the internal flash so I can make rebooting easier. tx
N800 | 2 x 8gb OCX SD | Boxwave Anti-glare SS | PDAir book-style case
Holux M-1200 bluetooth GPS | iGo 4-row bluetooth keyboard | Linksys USB 10/100 ethernet | Plantronics Voyager 855 BT Headset