Overclocking

This quest bring you to the shrine of the God of Overclocking:

You may pray to him as well as the Muses of Voltage there and see what blessings in form of agility he may bestow upon you. The sacrifice is lower endurance though.

Unfortunately my hero received nothing, runs unstable even at 750 MHz, though N900 has not prayed to the Voltage Muses yet.. Might revisit later, but I'm quite ok with my hero's current ST 7.

Reward: OC God's blessings, ST +1..3, -1..2 EN

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nephridium For This Useful Post:
The Thumbnailer Daemon

The most annoying process popping up at the most inopportune times for me is thumbnailerd. To defeat this daemon you should have a look at:
/home/user/.config/tracker/tracker.cfg
I set it to work only when on battery (i.e. recharging through the night) and disabled watching; I also changed which folders to index.
[Watches]
EnableWatching=false
[Indexing]
BatteryIndex=true
BatteryIndexInitial=true

This daemon is actually not evil, as it helps you with things, but it just has the habit of popping up when you least need it.

Reward: Thumbnailer daemon only pops up when N900 is resting at the campfire, thus not causing a ST -4 penalty e.g. when in the midst of fighting HTML and Javascript wraiths.

There are actually a couple of other daemons as mentioned here: http://forums.internettablettalk.com...ad.php?t=58935 - but none of them have really annoyed me to actually get the "Club of Dedaemonizing" from that thread, which kills of all daemons with one swift stroke (they will respawn later though with no hard feelings ).

To manually spawn the thumbnailer daemon (e.g. after emptying thumbnail cache by deleting *.db from ~/.cache/tracker/):
tracker-processes -r
/usr/lib/tracker/trackerd &
Attached Files
File Type: zip tracker.zip (1.3 KB, 107 views)

Last edited by nephridium; 2010-08-21 at 13:14.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to nephridium For This Useful Post:
These are the "quests" I could remember so far. Hope they're useful (or at least mildly enjoyable ) to someone.

Any feedback welcome.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nephridium For This Useful Post:
Posts: 108 | Thanked: 329 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Bosnia and Herzegovina
Amusing and helpful - very nice, sir, I love it.

Thanks, appreciate it.

Backup menu

sudo apt-get install backupmenu

I haven't had to do a restore yet, but Backupmenu's approach to backing up your N900 seems to be the best method. It can backup your root filesystem because it launches before N900 boots (simply keep the keyboard open when booting). It also backs up the eMMC partition. Should your N900 ever require a reflash a simple restore should get it to exactly the state you backed it up in. Thread: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=58633

I usually have it back up to the SD card and then copy the images over to my workstation.

SD Card content needs to be backed up through other means. One could simply scp /media/mmc1 contents to remote system or (probably faster) place the SD card into the other computer and copy over the contents.

Make sure you have enough space on your SD card for the backup: both images (root+eMMC) together take up around 2.3 GB. They can later be compressed e.g. using 7-zip. My current backup compresses to about 1.2 GB.

Reward: Unlocks ability to save and respawn

Last edited by nephridium; 2010-08-26 at 02:43.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nephridium For This Useful Post:
Posts: 515 | Thanked: 266 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oelsted, Denmark
Great idea nephridium...

Very impressive, Hope to see for more
thank you
krc

Conky

sudo apt-get install conky

As with other Linux distros you can summon Conky to give you detailed stats of the system (memory, cpu load, the four most strenuous running apps etc.). Kind of like a self-awareness quest for our hero.

Reward: Amulet of Insight, IN +.5

Last edited by nephridium; 2010-08-21 at 16:36.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nephridium For This Useful Post:
This is an awesome idea lol. Love it.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!