Active Topics

Closed Thread
Youtube, Google videos do not work in Iceweasel is this normal?

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I can confirm that Gnash, the open-source flash player plugin installed in this package, is not up to the task of playing YouTube videos. Thankfully, Adobe Flash was one of the things that Nokia paid the license fees for, and so the built-in browser is fairly good at online Flash videos, and the MyTube app is also very successful.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
To close off the printing issue:

Just want to say that Debian CUPS printing works fine. You have to run "cupsd" in the Debian chroot first, but you can use the MicroB browser to set things up (http://localhost:631). For my shared Windows printer, I used "type: raw", the ppd file I downloaded from OpenPrinting, and I set the URI to smb://printerhost/Laser. I sent a test page... Hooray!

Notes:
  • I did have to re-install foomatic-db for my printer. If you have to use a custom PPD file, then you'll have to reinstall it...
  • If cups admin refuses your password, try going to the Debian chroot prompt and typing
    Code:
    killall cupsd
    cupsd
    then try logging in again. That worked for me the one time I had authentication problems.
  • NEW: Printing complex documents (with pictures) from AbiWord (and probably OpenOffice, etc) will probably require that you increase your temporary space (the /tmp folder) by using this cool trick.

Last edited by qole; 2008-07-13 at 19:28.

Posts: 472 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Texas
Anyone else notice that Canola seems to be hosed after installing Debian? I even uninstalled/reinstalled Canola2, and I can get the blue theme (in fact that's all I get) but I can't get the Last.FM plugin to show up.

Posts: 9 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ New Mexico, USA
Help! I really want to install and use your Debian package, but I cannot proceed because I can't install the three Python packages. When I try to install any of them, I get a message that it is an "incompatible application package."

After having this problem, I re-flashed my N800 to the latest version of Diablo (4.2008.23-14), and left it "clean" with no other apps installed. When I tried to install the Python packages, I got the same message. What am I doing wrong?

I try to install by opening the internettablettalk web page on my N800 and clicking on the links. The package is downloaded, and I am asked "Install Application?", but when I click "OK", I immediately get a message "unable to install <package>. Incompatible application package."

Thanks in advance for any help.

Have you tried to install using red pill mode?

Originally Posted by qole View Post
As for the spontaneous reboots, yeah I've had a couple of those too. I think it sometimes happens when the CPU redlines for a while and the watchdog shuts down the tablet to protect it... Or maybe not... I dunno..
I think it's when it runs out of memory and gets stuck, as it has no swap..

The Following User Says Thank You to t3h For This Useful Post:
Posts: 19 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Midwest
Anyone else notice that Canola seems to be hosed after installing Debian? I even uninstalled/reinstalled Canola2, and I can get the blue theme (in fact that's all I get) but I can't get the Last.FM plugin to show up.
Yeah, I have the same problem. Actually I cannot get the Last.FM plugin or the YouTube plugin to show up in Canola. I did the whole unistall/reinstall thing as well. Not sure if someone has figured out a workaround to that. I use Canola a lot, and the Last.FM plugin was a nice add. I found myself using that one most of the time unless I was listening to music in my car.

If someone figures out how to get these to work, please post the fix here. Thanks
iGo Stowaway Ultra Slim Bluetooth Keyboard
8GB miniSD HC Memory Card

For what it's worth.. my Canola2 functions fine and the Youtube plugin still shows up and I'm in a black theme.

N810 running Diablo Rotate Kernel (I think? I've reloaded several times )

Kernel: 2.6.21-omap1

But I hope to get Media running in Debian decently.. I prefer the icewm desktop now that I got the keyboard working on the N810. Once I hack the crap out of qole's debian to be perfect in a chroot i'll move it outside his image to boot into it. Maemo FTL .

I don't believe that your Canola problems are related to the Debian install. My install makes only two changes to your system, and they are undone when you uninstall the package. If Debian has any impact on your system (you start the print daemon running, for example), a reboot will set everything back to "normal".

Also, fatalsaint, I would suggest partitioning your card to give yourself a big 3+ GB Debian partition, then setting up your chroot there before you do much more hacking. You'll get noticeably better speed and you won't have to worry about resizing your image file.

Also, if you are planning to boot to Debian, don't use my chroot as the basis for your install, use Johnx's bootable Debian.

Last edited by qole; 2008-07-14 at 17:31.

Closed Thread

Tags
debian, easy debian, obsolete