Closed Thread
The installation ran fine, but, after install, certain things no longer show up correctly. For instance, when I hit the power button to bring up the "Device mode" menu, the menu displays in the lower, right-hand corner instead of in the middle of the screen. It's almost as if the device now thinks the screen is larger than it really is.

Also, twice, when running OO, and once, when not running anything, the tablet has spontaneously rebooted. After the reboot, when I run OO, it wants to recover the file I was editing, but the buttons to start the recovery are off the bottom of the screen (but I can get there with a TAB on the iGo keyboard).

I am running on an n800.

Has anybody else encountered these issues?

JJG

Posts: 49 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Texas
I do have python 2.5 and python gtk, but nothing. I restarted, but nothing. I will try reinstalling it again.

"Life is too short to waste on sleep" - Johnny Cunningham

http://www.skibur.com

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by jjg View Post
The installation ran fine, but, after install, certain things no longer show up correctly. For instance, when I hit the power button to bring up the "Device mode" menu, the menu displays in the lower, right-hand corner instead of in the middle of the screen. It's almost as if the device now thinks the screen is larger than it really is.
Yes, that's mentioned in the initial post:

Originally Posted by qole View Post
I install qwerty12's movable-windows hack for OS2008. You really need it for running Debian programs in OS2008. If you hate that, uninstall my .deb, or copy /etc/osso-af-init/matchbox.defs.orig back to matchbox.defs and everything will be the way it was before.
Feel free to set it back to the way it was before. I personally found that it takes a bit to get used to, but afterwards, you really grow to like it.

Originally Posted by jjg View Post
Also, twice, when running OO, and once, when not running anything, the tablet has spontaneously rebooted. After the reboot, when I run OO, it wants to recover the file I was editing, but the buttons to start the recovery are off the bottom of the screen (but I can get there with a TAB on the iGo keyboard).
The OO "document recovery" window is the bane of my existence. They don't make the window into a dialog box (like they should) so you can't just move the window up to get to the buttons. The only way seems to be hitting "tab" on a keyboard (how many times? Trial and error...) and then "enter". It doesn't really matter if you try to recover or not, I found that it invariably fails to recover anyway...

As for the spontaneous reboots, yeah I've had a couple of those too. I think it sometimes happens when the CPU redlines for a while and the watchdog shuts down the tablet to protect it... Or maybe not... I dunno..

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by skibur View Post
I do have python 2.5 and python gtk, but nothing. I restarted, but nothing. I will try reinstalling it again.
Try opening a standard (non-root, non-Debian) terminal and type:
Code:
openhostwin.py IceWM
Tell me what happens.

Actually the Debian chroot setup runs any time you click on a Debian icon in Maemo, you shouldn't have to open the terminal window at all.
The first time I started Abiword and Iceweasel after the installation it loaded icewm with no program running. After I ran chroot the first time this didn't happen again.

The password info is copied into Debian from Maemo. So whatever your root password is in Maemo, that should work here too. If you have never set up a root password, you really should....
When cups asked for the username and password I tried root and my root password. I also tried user with no password. Neither one worked.

I'll try copying my KDE cups config file to Debian. If that doesn't work I'll take this problem to the "Running Debian in a chroot" thread as you suggested.

Last edited by possessedskier; 2008-07-10 at 19:07.

Posts: 19 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Midwest
Is there anything I should do to uninstall Debian?

I am having some problems with the Wayfinder Map application (shuts down when I search for a street name, rendering it useless), and I am not sure if the problems occurred after I installed Debian or upgraded to Diablo (did both in the same afternoon).

Will uninstalling clean up the window size problems and return things to opening screens in the middle of the screen?

Will uninstalling cause other problems?

Is there a uninstall procedure?

Searched and did not find anything about Debian deinstall/uninstall.

thanks in advance for any insight you can provide.

Originally Posted by cfrantz View Post
Is there anything I should do to uninstall Debian?

I am having some problems with the Wayfinder Map application (shuts down when I search for a street name, rendering it useless), and I am not sure if the problems occurred after I installed Debian or upgraded to Diablo (did both in the same afternoon).

Will uninstalling clean up the window size problems and return things to opening screens in the middle of the screen?

Will uninstalling cause other problems?

Is there a uninstall procedure?

Searched and did not find anything about Debian deinstall/uninstall.

thanks in advance for any insight you can provide.
Uninstall the easy-deb-chroot app from inside Application Manager. Reboot. That should set everything back. If it doesn't, please post here.

Yes, that's mentioned in the initial post:

Feel free to set it back to the way it was before. I personally found that it takes a bit to get used to, but afterwards, you really grow to like it.
I must have just missed it in your original post. Thanks.

As for the spontaneous reboots, yeah I've had a couple of those too. I think it sometimes happens when the CPU redlines for a while and the watchdog shuts down the tablet to protect it... Or maybe not... I dunno..
Yeah, I pretty much thought that it must have used up all it's resources and lost it's mind. I actually hope that this isn't it, though, because that might mean that there is no fix for it. I would rather believe that there will be a fix down the road.

JJG

Posts: 49 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Texas
Try opening a standard (non-root, non-Debian) terminal and type:
Code:
openhostwin.py IceWM
Tell me what happens.
I get the following:
Code:
~ $ openhostwin.py IceWM
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/openhostwin.py", line 4, in <module>
    import hildon
ImportError: No module named hildon
~ $

"Life is too short to waste on sleep" - Johnny Cunningham

http://www.skibur.com

The Following User Says Thank You to skibur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 19 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Midwest
Uninstall the easy-deb-chroot app from inside Application Manager. Reboot. That should set everything back. If it doesn't, please post here.
qole,
I un-installed and deleted the large file on external memory, rebooted the IT and still have problems with Wayfinder Map. Dumps me out when I try to find an address.

I did get my menu positioning back though! Small victory I guess, since it wasnt that inconvenient.

Will try to figure out what is happening and get that fixed before I reinstall Debian. Thanks for the help

Closed Thread

Tags
debian, easy debian, obsolete