Active Topics

Hello,

I've been trying for 3 days to connect to the eduroam WiFi of the University of Groningen with WPA EAP > TTLS > EAP PAP security, but still no success. It still aksk for a WEP key when I try to connect. It's not a bug reported anywhere, I have searched and searched. Please help me, maybe you can suggest smth that I haven't tried yet. Thank you!
This is what i have tried:

1 ) I've copied a wpa_supplicant.conf into /etc/wpa_supplicant/ folder using gpe-file manager with root-acess (installed rootsh), I've installed the certificate they provide for linux platforms, available here http://www.rug.nl/rechten/faculteit/...nux_man_wpasup , but when I select to connect to eduroam over here, it still asks for the WEP key. Nooby thing to do, Maemo is not exactly Linux.
Here is the wpa_supplicant.conf file they are using for Linux:

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ctrl_interface_group=0

update_config=1
eapol_version=1
fast_reauth=1

network={
ssid="RuG-FN2"
scan_ssid=0
mode=0
eapol_flags=3
id_str="rug"
key_mgmt=IEEE8021X
auth_alg=OPEN
eap=TTLS
identity="p<number>@staff.rug.nl" (or s<number>@student.rug.nl)
anonymous_identity="anonymous"
password="<password>"
ca_cert="/etc/certs/ca.pem"
phase2="auth=PAP"
}

RuG_FN2 and eduroam are the same thing.

2) After that, I've installed WLAN Tool to enable TTLS PAP and configured new connection through the New Connection Wizard available in Settings > Internet Connections.
These are the settings I have used:

Connection name: eduroam
Connection type: WLAN
SSID: eduroam
Network is hidden [ ]
Network mode: Infrastructure
Security method: WPA with EAP
EAP type: TTLS
Select certificate: None
EAP method: EAP PAP
Username: s205****@student.rug.nl
Password: ************
Prompt password at every login: [ ]
Advanced:> EAP> Use manual user name: [x]
Manual user name: anonymous

Also tried Use manual user name: [x]
Manual user name: anonymous@student.rug.nl ; anonymous@rug.nl; s205*****@student.rug.nl ;

Also tried Use manual user name: [ ]
Manual user name: _______________

Also, i have tried to connect directly to the saved connection through the dbus-send --print-reply --system --type=method_call --dest=com.nokia.icd /com/nokia/icd com.nokia.icd.connect string:"86ca9d79-120d-496f-9d42-e239e5c7f430" uint32:0 code, of course after I found the IAP with gconftool --all-dirs /system/osso/connectivity/IAP and it says
Error com.nokia.icd.error.iap_not_available: Failed to establish requested IAP
I am sure I've copied the IAP correctly, I have tried it many times. It's just like it doesn't detect the saved network in range, the phone detects a network with the same SSID (eduroam) but with WEP security.
Furthermore, when I try to connect to any saved connections, through dbus-send --system --type=method_call --dest=com.nokia.icd /com/nokia/icd com.nokia.icd.connect string:"[ANY]" uint32:0 , it says that "No saved connections available".

I've asked the guy from IT Service and he said that the WEP layer is an extra-protection layer. Windows computers need extra-software to be able to access the network, Apple computers can be configured without any software and Linux needs the wpa_supplicant.conf which I listed above.

I had previously installed Auto-Disconnect and WiFi Switcher, but I uninstalled both of them... Still not able to connect.
I would try the following: reset the WLAN adapter (I am noob, so don't know what code to use in the X-Terminal, couldn't find it on the web).
Also I have been trying to find a way to bypass the first WEP layer so the phone goes directly to the second WPA layer, but there are only methods to crack the WEP key of a WiFi connection. Useless, since there is no WEP key.

WHAT IS INTERESTING is that I used gconftool -R /system/osso/connectivity/IAP
to find the IAP and try again to connect directly. It displays the configuration details of the saved connection. And instead of "EAP_PAP_username" it displays "EAP_MSCHAPV2_username". This is truly strange. Again, in the settings wizard it is configured as WPA with EAP, TTLS, EAP PAP.

I'm completely out of ideas...
Please help me!
Thank you!

The Following User Says Thank You to ionitacornell For This Useful Post:
Come on, man, nobody wants to help...

Hi,

I have eudoram here in Münster, too. I never had success. The official wifi of the university works, but bad. And eudoram doesn't work at all.

It's so sad...

Bye
MPW

It seems to be different from university to university. I am using eduroam in Duisburg, Germany. All I had to do was to download the root ca certificate from Deutsche Telekom and inmport it with the certificate manager (PR 1.2 can import certificates).

At least does anyone know how to configure an IAP directly from the X Terminal?... it might help...

Here is what Renkon said, I don't see his post here:

Eduroam works.

- You need PR1.2 and root access
- get the PAP GUI (https://bugs.maemo.org/attachment.cg...34&action=view)
- install .deb file from link above via a root (!!) prompt with:
dpkg -i wlantool_0.0.4_armel.deb

- now you will have the wlantool in your application launcher
- start it
- check the checkbox "Allow TTLS/PAP" and close wlantool
- now setup manually a new wifi connection with
Application Launcher -> Settings -> Connections -> New

- Select "next"
- Connection name could be "Eduroam" but it freely choosable
- Select "next"
- SSID is the Network ID of your wifi network (should be "eduroam")
Network Mode is "infrastructure"
Authentication Method is "WPA with EAP"
- Select "next"
- EAP-Type is TTLS
- Select "next"
- Certificate is usually not needed, but you need to make sure your certificate chain is complete. So if your university uses for example Telekom Root certificate it is included in PR1.2. If not, you have to install it (Download, click on it via File Manager)
- EAP Method is "EAP PAP" (now available thanks to wlantool)
- Select "next"
- Username is ... actually your username given by your network admin, same goes for password
- Select "next"
- Select "advanced" (I'm on german maemo, it may be called "more" or something like that)
- Select tab "EAP"
- Check the upper checkbox there
- Enter your outer anonymous identity in the textfield below
(anonymous@your-university.edu for example)
- Select "save"
- try it

Sorry if any descriptors are not exactly right. As I said, I'm on german maemo and translating this on the fly

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ionitacornell For This Useful Post:
I've tried the
rootsh dpkg -i wlantool_0.0.4_armel.deb
command, it installs the WLAN tool, I configured the connection again, and I used gconftool -R /system/osso/connectivity/IAP
,which displays the configuration details of the saved connection. And instead of "EAP_PAP_username" it displays "EAP_MSCHAPV2_username". This is truly strange. Again, in the settings wizard it is configured as WPA with EAP, TTLS, EAP PAP.

Hi,
have you figured it out by any chance? I've been trying to connect to the RuG wifi network aswell, I have a Nokia 5800.
I also followed the instructions offered by other universities for accessing eduroam but can't get it to work.
When I type in "guest" as the WEP key it does seem like it is the correct key, however, still no connection, but i do get past the WEP window. Not sure on what to do.
Please let me know if you figure it out. You seem to be a lot more Internet/cell phone savvy...

thanks in advance

evelinevelin have you found any solution? I'm having the same problem as you... it keeps asking for the daim wep key... I have n900

Posts: 86 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ That beer and prezels country in Europe -_-
Eduroam is usually WPA with EAP encapsulation (or the other way around). So there should be no question for a WEP Key.

Be sure to follow all instructions shown in #6 (I've deleted those, because I did not fully read the OPs post...).

Be sure to do this step!:
- Enter your outer anonymous identity in the textfield below
(anonymous@your-university.edu for example)

This is important for working EAP access.
Also you have to import your universitys keychain.

E.g.: Your university has a certificate, this one is signed by Thawte (unlikely, but just an example).
So you will have to import your university's certificate, Thawte would be predefined in the N900. If it were not, you'd have to import it as well. Then you have to check via the certificate manager, that the certificate is available for anything you can chose there (click on the certificate, usually on top).

And don't do anything via the commandline, this should be working with wlantool out of the box. You may just mess things up there...

The Following User Says Thank You to Renkon For This Useful Post: