Since this MS/elop deal I've ceased to consider Nokia as a decent and well-intentioned company, but if they can still prove that their single sunset MeeGo phone is an open (i.e. fully community supportable since Nokia can't be trusted) and otherwise fine device and the MeeGo handset community doesn't commit harakiri in disgust, I just might consider buying it. Nokia is no longer worthy of paying a premium for it though!

And if any of the Korean or Taiwanese non-primary partners of MS release such a phone they will now be my primary preference. Ideally the Linux Foundation would certify products that can be supported (long term) by the community.

Neither I nor anyone I know could care less about having an "applet store" with a gazillion of possibly/likely insecure vanity apps snooping my private data as long as I get the basic features (which Nokia themselves could've provided with ease...)

edit: note to pasih

Last edited by Peet; 2011-02-18 at 06:16.

The Following User Says Thank You to Peet For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
My experience is that Nokia is by far the only manufacturer that is best at constantly shipping high quality HW. Things that last. My ranking is:
Nokia
Samsung
Motorola/SE
LG/HTC
ZTE/Huawei etc

Apple has too few different devices

All of them ships high quality from time to time.

If Nokia ships a nice WP with HW qwerty, I will probably get one.

Originally Posted by pasih View Post
I would assume that MeeGo will be part of the "Extra investment to innovate new technologies", but who knows.
I think this is corporate speak for false hope to try not to drive away current developers and users. We keep hearing this line and the ******ed "future disruptions" line... Nothing that you develop in a *nix platform can be readily and easily moved to a Windows platform or the other way around. Not that it's not possible it's just hard and takes careful planning. And since MS's stuff is all silverlight/.net that makes it harder.

I'd assume that they are not rolling over in front of Ballmer, and that probably MeeGo will be some sort of plan b in the future. But the union steward guy said during the last night's panel discussion that if NoWin-phones are a failure it will be really hard to bring people back to Symbian or MeeGo, since Elop described them as failure already.
This is how I feel, they made a plan and sold it for 18+ months, gained their current user and developer base buy in then with no warning in 2 months time basically said nope not doing any of that consider that dead, now 180 and hey all that stuff you bought bought was crap anyway, thanks for your money. Buy our Windows Phone stuff it be better, oh and by the way their be more symbian in the mean time so give us more money for stuff we won't support by next year. Umm thanks nokia, but no thanks.

Nokia is practically saying that they'll bring out one product and after that there might be no future with MeeGo at all.
No just no future with nokia. The one thing about their meego device is that because of the nature of meego knowledgeable users can update it themselves to hold them over until another device comes out from a different manufacturer.

The Following User Says Thank You to nocain For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pasih View Post
Personally I'd like to have a diverse eco-system on systems I buy, and it means that there's lot of development on it. It's nice to have all kinds of apps available since you never know what you might need.
You're absolutely right. Still, just like the proprietary and semi-proprietary OSes ship with a basic set of apps and features that are expected to be more secure and automatically update during the life cycle of the OS, MeeGo (or whatever it morphs into) should have similar a set.

And for many a well-designed basic set is simply enough. That's the kind of phone I would recommend to my 40+ year-old friends and relatives. 99% of them don't need fart apps (like kids might do) nor do they have the time or understanding to start evaluating thousands, let alone tens of thousands of apps often of relatively suspicious origin. It's still by and large an untapped market.

Same with the enterprise market. They need security and (in-house) custom apps, both easily provided by MeeGo, rather than access to a sprawling fishy app jungle.

With MeeGo Nokia could've offered their services package as a default offering available to any generic phonemaker using standard MeeGo and it's not difficult to offer more generous revenue-sharing terms than Apple or Google.

The Following User Says Thank You to Peet For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Funklord View Post
I reiterate, the only technically sane OS, useful on ARM atm, is Linux.
Nothing else is even close.
s/, useful on ARM atm,// (though I might include the *BSDs).

Originally Posted by nocain View Post
Agreed but I will leave it as *nix based OS's are the only useful sane choices for ARM atm. Which is why outside of WP all ARM OS's coming out in the next year are.
That's a true statement regardless of architecture. Apart from Windows the only even slightly "mainstream" OS that isn't *nixy is Symbian.

Man, so many children talks. Stupid stuff like Windows doesn't run on Arms. Where are the adults?

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by droitwichgas View Post
What do you mean by "they will support the phone for the next 3 years" ...
Sorry, my bad. I meant that when a product isn't available anymore, companies normally offer support for some years (I wrote 3 as a random number, not as being a fact).

Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post
n900 has effectively been EOLed by Nokia even before Elop's MS annoucement - thats why there is the community SSU.
The community SSU is new for me, I will catch up. Thanks for the pointer!

Originally Posted by turbowei View Post
Man, so many children talks. Stupid stuff like Windows doesn't run on Arms. Where are the adults?
to start a more adult like conversation, let me ask

what is gonna be Nokia's tablet OS?

the new mobile fad now is not smart phone, it is the tablet. windows doesnt have a tablet solution yet. what is nokia gonna do?

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by turbowei View Post
...what is nokia gonna do?
Giving us _amaaaazing_ bing(reminds me of this sound) and xbox360 experience also zune. Please remember to buy only MS certificated devices.

They just ditched all that multi platform pointless dreaming and started to do what apple did in year 2007. Android and chrome OS are doing just stupid things like going to tabletīs and TV thatīs just so stupid and not wise thing to do, probably google is going to announce next something as stupid as in vehicle OS. *sigh*

/sarcasm

Last edited by slender; 2011-02-18 at 14:30.

Tags
bye-nokia, i don't even, just shoot him, just shoot me, let's elope, lockdown, meego?fail, negatron dan, nokia defiled, nokia suicide, sell tulips, step 8 out of 5, the-end?, www.elop.org