Active Topics

Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by Cmitono View Post
It's really annoying... I bought this phone here in Brazil and paid almost the same I'd pay for an Iphone 4...

As an avarage users who doesn't understand anything about bugs, programming, and so on, it's RIDICULUOUS that I have to come here averyday searching for solutions when I have no idea what you guys are talking about...

I always loved Nokia, I'll admit, I did have issues with my N8, had to restart it once or twice a week, but not being able to connect the 3g seems way too absurd for me...
I also have a N9 in Brazil with no problems with 3G/GPRS/WiFi.

So write more details about your problem.

iPhone/iOS also has bugs, I have some friends who refuses the iOS5 upgrade due to bugs & problems.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

Posts: 15 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by rcolistete View Post
I also have a N9 in Brazil with no problems with 3G/GPRS/WiFi.

So write more details about your problem.

iPhone/iOS also has bugs, I have some friends who refuses the iOS5 upgrade due to bugs & problems.
Dude, It's a very simple problem:

I leave home early in the morning, then I start checking my emails, surfing on the web, then when I get to a client and I wanna check my email again (as automatic sync never worked) the problem starts...

The 3g simply disappears from the connection list! I can see all the wifis available, but where's my 3g? Then I go to connections, edit connections, the 3g is there but it DOES NOT work!

So, as many of the guy in here, I have to restart it and wait until the same problem happens again!

I miss my n8, n85 because I only had to restart them when I opened to many apps at the same time... At least I had how to avoid it right?

I had a UOL account (which I used for work) but as I've decided to give this N9 a try (believing that Maemo/Meego experts would fix bugs) and simply changed my email to a gmail account (the only one that works in here)

You see what a dedicated user I am?! I changed my f****** business email just to keep on using my N9, so I'd be really thankful if the next update was released soon and with at least one of these bugs fixed...

As I'm just a regular (dumb) user, who has no time, interest or idea on how to report bugs, using developer's mode, or so on, I have become a victim of this non-sense, Greek forum... rs =)

In time: I've changed some of the configurations to see if the "bug" disappears...

I set the internet to keep on working on background using the 3g. That means, even now at home, I'm not using wifi. I changed the wifi from auto to manual. Since yesterday I've had no problems at all, but I don't know yet if the battery will last less or not...

Does my fix work for you?

Posts: 15 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by aRTee View Post
Does my fix work for you?
Not sure if you're asking me (if so, than thanks!).

I really have no idea how to use these fixes you guys post here...

Maybe Maemo/meego is not for me as I am just an ordinary user...

Thanks anyways!

Thanks anyways!

its sounds like its ur operator/APN problem rather n9.

no 3g bugs have been reported. best thing u can do look for someone set ur APN for u.

if set correctly then its ur provider. no matter what phone u buy u gotta get it.

same for the email, probably something didnt setup right, but it looks like there is a problem with exchange. if gmail works, thats because its using IMAP instead of pop3

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Do you have good 3G reception where you are? Maybe it helps to switch to 2G or dual mode in the control panel.

Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
I set the internet to keep on working on background using the 3g. That means, even now at home, I'm not using wifi. I changed the wifi from auto to manual. Since yesterday I've had no problems at all, but I don't know yet if the battery will last less or not...
What is your operator ? Which Brazil state ? I use my N9 with TIM @ ES without your problems.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009

Thanks anyways!

Somewhere in this rant you mentioned at least one other totally separate bug.
AFAIK the one you're alluding to is resolved in 1.2, which is rolling-out within 2wks.
You're deluding yourself if you think other smartphone OS's are free of nasty bugs.
I use 2-3 on a regular basis and I'm aware of many for all of them.

Just use your head and carefully read/try this
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...20&postcount=8
You might actually surprise yourself...
And you'll provide invaluable feedback in the process.

We can help you do it, we're very good at that here comparatively speaking.
Then vote for & subscribe to those reports so you'll know when the fixes are done.

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-02-20 at 22:51.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:

Thanks anyways!

Yes I'm asking you...

Well, if you're unhappy with such an expensive device, it's perhaps not for you, but if you want to give it a try (instead of taking it back to the shop for a refund), you can do the following:
enable developer mode
it will install stuff and tell you to reboot. Note that if you only have 3G data, since you have the problem, you may have to reboot before turning on dev mode as well, since it will need to download some packages (programs).

After rebooting, you will see that you have some new icons/programs, one of which is the famous (or perhaps infamous) terminal.
Next time you get no network connection, tap that and in the green text screen, type the following command (turn off swype input if you have it on, it is cumbersome with command line due to its advanced word input correction going haywire on terminal commands - turn it off by swiping left or right at keyboard level)
Code:
devel-su
{this asks the password, which is "rootme", which whilst you type it, it won't show up in green, that's a security feature}
/sbin/initctl restart xsession/icd2

Whenever I have the problem, (I have it on wifi, only had it once on 3g, didn't use cellular data afterwards) the above fixes it, and I can connect normally.
I actually made an icon that can be tapped.

Note: the terminal app has two modes, switchable by tapping the green text area. In the mode with arrows, the up arrow will go back through the list of previously executed commands, so if all you do is this, you will only have to type it in once.

Lastly, I'm also just a normal user, not a dev or anything...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to aRTee For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
You're deluding yourself if you think other major smartphone OS's are free of nasty bugs.
I use 2-3 on a regular basis and I'm aware of many for all of them.

Just use your head and carefully read/try this
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...20&postcount=8
You might actually surprise yourself...
And you'll provide invaluable feedback in the process.
We can help you do it, we're very good at that here comparatively speaking.

Then vote for & subscribe to those reports, to get an update on when fixes are coming.

To be honest, I don't have an N9, my wife does. I do the support. Without me doing that, the device would likely have been sent back to the shop within a week. Or ejected out of a window (avoided that by telling how expensive it was,.. that got me an incredulous look and something in the sense of: so much money for a malfunctioning phone?)...

I do agree that she would probably send back any other smartphone within a week as well.

Now, just about 2 months later, she'll say that the reason she likes to keep it is that she can read books on it (fbreader and epub); she sometimes uses the camera for photo/video, uses the calendar (after I set up syncing, so now I finally know what the family plans are for the weekend and such - this is my big win and well worth the money).

She still claims that her Nokia 6030 was better for the tasks of just phone and sms...

Oh, and she does have touchscreen-incompatible fingers, as a rather large minority of the population at large seems to have; swype improved things tremendously, but before on PR1.0, she couldn't use the keyboard, it would register the letter a row lower than she touched almost all the time...

tl,dr;
give the guy a break who is upset if expensive gadget x is not making him happy. and guy, give the fix a try, perhaps things are not so bad.

My opinion: I miss the N9 UI every time I handle my own (android) phone. I'll get a new phone next month, most likely the Samsung Galaxy S Advance (android).

The Following User Says Thank You to aRTee For This Useful Post: