Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
We all know how hard it is to get release dates out of Nokia — sort of an extreme version of "ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies."

But it's even harder to get word of a product's demise. One day a product shortage is a sales-finished notice. That's why this random encounter with an unavailable-in-your-area notice for the Nokia N800 makes me wonder what's in store.

PS: Did I say the unavailable area is North America? Seems like a pretty big market to run dry in.
Read the full article.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Sigh. N800 is a good tablet. But as long as we still get updates, I don't mind

Posts: 267 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Montreal, Canada
wrong!!!

checked 2 minutes ago - was on stock for Canada (dunno about the US). quite a high price though (300$, vs 230 in tigerdirect.ca)

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
one thing i worry about is that whatever comes after the N810, it will not have the number and types of card slots that the N800 has...

Posts: 481 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Westcountry, UK
Currently in stock in the UK, both the 800 and 810

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@tabletrat:
Yes, that's where the leftover stocks are going to be dumped

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Still available in the US at Buy.com, too.

But I'll take the opportunity to whine that I wish Nokia would come out with a keyboard-less successor to the N800, squeezing out the space the keyboard takes up on the N810 to make it a little flatter and lighter. And then I wish they'd license Palm Graffiti for a keyboard alternative, to have in addition to the current one. And that they would copy some of the iPhone keyboard ideas, too (like changing contextually, so that, for example, ".com" becomes a key when you're typing a URL).

While I'm off-topic like this, I'll add another thing I wish Nokia would copy from the iPhone, but which I'd thought of before (even on my PC, before I had an N800) and I'm sure many people have thought of: have a little "x" icon next to the URL in the browser's address bar, and in File Manager and in Dialog Boxes, that can erase whatever is there already. (Does anybody have a solution better than randomly clicking multiple times to highlight a URL in the address bar when all you want to do is get rid of the current URL and replace it?)

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
In Europe (germany) it's very hard to get the N800 for a reasonable price. You can't get them from Nokia anymore. I ordered mine from USA. I think the best price is dell.com atm.

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post

But I'll take the opportunity to whine that I wish Nokia would come out with a keyboard-less successor to the N800, squeezing out the space the keyboard takes up on the N810 to make it a little flatter and lighter. And then I wish they'd license Palm Graffiti for a keyboard alternative, to have in addition to the current one. And that they would copy some of the iPhone keyboard ideas, too (like changing contextually, so that, for example, ".com" becomes a key when you're typing a URL).

While I'm off-topic like this, I'll add another thing I wish Nokia would copy from the iPhone, but which I'd thought of before (even on my PC, before I had an N800) and I'm sure many people have thought of: have a little "x" icon next to the URL in the browser's address bar, and in File Manager and in Dialog Boxes, that can erase whatever is there already. (Does anybody have a solution better than randomly clicking multiple times to highlight a URL in the address bar when all you want to do is get rid of the current URL and replace it?)
Regarding the .com extension.... First of all in the microb browser there is no need to type .com ...... You just type "yahoo" and it takes you to yahoo.com. SO i dont see what is the use for that. Anyhow if you just input .com into the keyboard once.... it will remember .com and the moment you press "." ".com" will be an option for you to press.

Coming to to clearing of the url..... it used to work great in the previous firmware.... where u tap once into the url field and the url already present is highlighted and you just back space. But in this os 2008 this is another regression where sometimes it does not bring up the keyboard when the url is highlighted on a single tap..... sometimes it is irritating. Hope they do not regress any more things.

Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
I wondered if the $199.99 blowout with free shipping at Dell was a clearance to discontinue.....Dell is not in stock and some links are gone.

Per GeraldKo's link- $228.99 at Buy.com

TigerDirect.com has them in Stock for $228.46 after shipping.

How long does it take Buy.com to ship?