Active Topics

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
To be clear with the technical minds: this Maemo Brainstorm is not a stand alone tool that needs to be synced with Midgard to re-use the maemo.org login. It's just part of Midgard CMS, like Intro, Downloads or News.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
And The World Will Live As One.
Hear, hear. (Act quick, the username, "johnlennon" may still be available!)

-T.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA

Then one day we will have single sign-on And The World Will Live As One...
Imagine that!

Although we may have had some differences, I'm glad you're on board dude. Things are getting done.

I don't understand what you mean by "update". I would expect the Nokians to pay attention and react regularly on the most voted ideas and solutions, skimming a bit for good ideas through the rest.
Well, in theory yes they're supposed to constantly give feedback (like on this forum!), but at least in my experience these tools are often abandoned by their owners once the initial novelty wears off.

The N-Gage uservoice page was trumpeted with much fanfare by N-Gage staff, but the level of response from the staff just died away after a few months. Even when Nokia did actually bring out a feature requested on uservoice, they didn't bother mentioning this in the relevant uservoice threads.

One way to get round that problem is to guarantee that at least every week or month someone from Nokia will go through all the ideas and update any that need updating.

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
Imagine that!

Although we may have had some differences, I'm glad you're on board dude. Things are getting done.
You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one, I hope someday you'll join us, and the world will live as one.

To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Some update on SSO and the different logins at the moment:

1) The same credentials are used for maemo.org, garage and the wiki, apart from that are bugzilla and talk.maemo.org

2) As quim said the brainstorm will be part of the maemo.org and use its login. It will be online in short term.

3) The SSO is considered for all the mentioned services and I am working on integrating them and building up a test-environment. As there are different services, with different user account databases, the task is pretty complex and will take some more time. The time frame is to have at least the wiki and probably one other service integrated in the test-environment until end of the month. But you can follow the status with these links and the discussion around that.

Cheers Daniel

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danielwilms For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
I'm still trying to catch up with the long thread especulating about the next Maemo device. There are many mentions about the community being able to make suggestions on hardware. I just want to point out here that http://wiki.maemo.org/Task:Maemo_brainstorm#Categories includes a category for Devices.

So yes, the Maemo Brainstorm can be a place to make suggestions about hardware and vote for them.

Like the rest of ideas in the brainstorm, they have no guarantee of being implemented but their visibility to product managers, designers, developers etc will increase.

Hopefully the brainstorm will also help the own community getting more signal and less noise about the features you want to see in future products.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 263 | Thanked: 679 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Lyon, France
I'm still trying to catch up with the long thread especulating about the next Maemo device. There are many mentions about the community being able to make suggestions on hardware. I just want to point out here that http://wiki.maemo.org/Task:Maemo_brainstorm#Categories includes a category for Devices.

So yes, the Maemo Brainstorm can be a place to make suggestions about hardware and vote for them.

Like the rest of ideas in the brainstorm, they have no guarantee of being implemented but their visibility to product managers, designers, developers etc will increase.

Hopefully the brainstorm will also help the own community getting more signal and less noise about the features you want to see in future products.
Hi Quim,

How do you see this working with moderators? Can we take it for granted that hardware ideas will never make it to "under development" since Nokia doesn't comment on unreleased hardware?

Dave.

Sometimes devices are launched earlier. Sometimes there might be indeed an interest in noting that someone is working on some hardware feature for future products. Sometimes the idea might be an accessory 3rd parties can develop. And who knows if one day Maemo is taken by other device manufacturers willing to take such ideas.

Enough possibilities to consider.

Posts: 258 | Thanked: 176 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Paris France
I find the idea very interesting.

Some companies (like Sony) after some success believe they KNOW what people want or need. They think that their choices will be followed blindly by willing users who will continue to pay more and more for their newest products. But they simply don't consider their customer advices.

And inevitably, after a while, they fail, because they simply don't understant anymore what people may want ... and especially if you consider that the things they want ... changes with time.

So, this brainstorm could be a very nice way for Nokia to "keep in touch" with its customers. (Or at least to pretend to do so). It would be a wonderfull begining to say :

What do you need ?
What do you want ?
What would you like ?

We can do that for you.

Last edited by totololo; 2009-06-02 at 20:10.

Tags
maemo.org