Notices

Posts: 2,154 | Thanked: 2,186 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Hellsinki, Finland
Hello everybody!

Time for a change. Due to Plastic Theme Pack groving so large package I decided to split the base theme and schemes into separate packages.

So the thing in a nutshell is:
You have a basic Plastic Theme Pack installed, it comes with basic color schemes. You can customize the schemes with included Setup -tool which is located under your phone's settings -application. You can select what font you want to use (any font installed to your phone), customize the homescreen and if you want to use custom transitions or not.

If you get tired of the bundled schemes, you can install addon-packs. Currently there's two of them. plastic-addon-pack-1 includes 9 schemes. plastic-addond-pack-2 includes currently only one scheme, Pleego, which is Meego-wannabe theme for N900.

You can also easily "convert" any theme to Plastic Scheme with bundled command line utility (type convertplastic to xterm) (version 2.311 and later).

Plastic Theme is the first theme ever released for Maemo which has this kind of functionality included.

VOTING LINKS FOR PACKAGES HITTING EXTRAS-REPOSITORY ARE:

Plastic Theme Package (the main base package, includes basic schemes)

Plastic Addon Pack 1 (includes nine new variants, the deep-serie, liquid-serie and extra-coffee)
Plastic Addon Pack 2 (includes only one scheme atm, Pleego)

Screenshot of the Plastic Setup:

------------------------

CONVERTING OTHER THEMES INTO PLASTIC SCHEMES - version 2.311 or later only!

Just open xterm and type "convertplastic" (without quotes) and hit enter. It will give you guides on how to do the conversion. Make sure you are running the command as regular user, not root (don't type sudo gainroot or anything before the command).

----------------------------------

SOME NOTES FOR PEOPLE WHO LIKE TO MANUALLY MOD THINGS AROUND

- all schemes are located at:
/opt/plastic-schemes/

You can edit all images for specific schemes how you like, but IT'S IMPORTANT NOT TO EDIT THESE FILES BY HAND:
/opt/plastic-schemes/SCHEMENAME/gtk2.0/gtkrc
/opt/plastic-schemes/SCHEMENAME/css/colors.css

Editing those in wrong way (ie. changing font name or size) will break up the font-style & size selector and propably end you up with broken gtkrc -file.

After you have edited the grapchics in the way you like, just run the Plastic Theme Setup again and choose to use the scheme you just edited.

Custom icons for Dark, Deep, Liquid and ExtraCoffee are located at:
/usr/share/icons/black-plastic-icons/

Custom icons for Pleego are located at:
/usr/share/icons/black-plastic-pleego-icons/

Those can be edited in the way you want.

Word or two about editing custom transitions included in the package:
- if you want to edit your custom transitions permanently, then edit this file:
/usr/share/themes/blackplastictheme-themedir/transitions.tmp

DO NOT EDIT THE SNAP-TO-GRID -field at the end of the file, it will break up the snap-to-grid-amount selector @ Plastic Theme Setup

When you're done with editing, save the file and run the Plastic Theme Setup again and choose to use custom transitions.

------------------------------
IF YOU GET YOUR THEME SCREWED UP
In case something goes wrong with your moddings or you end up with broken grkrc-file and cannot change the theme back to default in normal way, you can do it from terminal by typing this (rootsh must be installed):
Code:
sudo gainroot
/usr/bin/personalisation /usr/share/themes/default/
After rebooting you'll have NSeries -theme and you can fix what went wrong or re-install the Plastic Theme Pack / Addon-packs.

---------------------------------

ABOUT INSTALLING NEW FONTS
This one is quite easy. Download your favourite .ttf OR .otf -font, save it to the "root" of your internal memory (the 27gb one). Then type this into xterm:
Code:
cp -rf /home/user/MyDocs/*.ttf /home/user/.fonts/
cp -rf /home/user/MyDocs/*.otf /home/user/.fonts/
If you get error complaining that .fonts -direcotry is not found, then type this:
Code:
mkdir /home/user/.fonts
And then repeat the step 1.

If you have created the .fonts -folder previously with sudo gainroot -"mode" on, then you need to sudo gainroot yourself before copying the fonts.

80's style stadium rock is back - FIRENOTE
Hi-Octane heavy metal - FORCE MAJEURE

Last edited by d-iivil; 2010-09-26 at 08:44.

The Following 153 Users Say Thank You to d-iivil For This Useful Post:
009N, acvetkov, adrianmilev, afaq, ahmoda, ahockersten, Aladan, aligatro, AlMehdi, Anarae, arnoldux, atilla, b-man, bald.eagle.one, Barrie, Berserk, bingbings, blackopz, Blobster2k, bockersjv, borghal, Caesar, CasTTeLLo, CepiPerez, Chrome, cjp, cloud596, Corwin, craftyguy, cyapalmos, daemonfin, damnshock, DaSilva, datjomp, davidian, ddwwf1, DeargDoom, Death Scythe, Digicom, donaggio, dwaradzyn, elie-7, eMiL, esthreel, F2thaK, farianit0, fiferboy, fnorum, frostbyte, Fumanchu, fw190, gabby131, gazadi, Grant, Helmuth, Hmtsjmftsch, Hotshot, iagamy, ian_ryge, inkirby, inuyasha0209, ioan, Ismaboy, ivgalvez, jaeezzy, jakiman, jeroenqui, John McClane, jpfsn, junionwoon, kamil365, kevinp93, lcuk, Livinmalife, logicalsid, madnes, Magik, Maj3stic, makel, maluka, mannakiosk, Marcus, Marklar, matt_and_cat, mele, Mentalist Traceur, moepda, MohammadAG, mpi, Mr. Incredible, mscarrot, musculus, nashith, Natan_xy, navsin, NokTokDaddy, noobmonkey, ossipena, OVK, pelago, peteblack, phedders, psiho, PUNK, pursueky, qosmio, RAZOR, renko, ryo1st, s33, SallyJane, sbock, scribbles, silent tim, Sir_Krokofant, skalogre, sparkle58, SR90, stlpaul, Stonik, strange1712, Taigatrommel, te37v, thecubed, thecursedfly, thej80, ThomasAH, Tinnet, tissot, titi974, tnhh, todor_tsankov, Tomaszd, torpedo48, Venemo, vietn900, whaleyboy, white_ranger, windinthehair, x-lette, x61, xabaras, xopher, xperto, yogi900, zaedej, Zentenario, zillertal
Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
that looks a bit cool!
installing to test

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lcuk For This Useful Post:
Great new feature.. Makes my Themes section smaller!!..

Could you hildonize the menus?.. ie make the radio buttons to selectable links.. and scroll by menu and not the bar in the side..

Great work!!! hope to see this feature in all of your other themes..

Posts: 40 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Sydney AU
My favourite theme, big thanks!

Originally Posted by rnb89 View Post
Could you hildonize the menus?.. ie make the radio buttons to selectable links.. and scroll by menu and not the bar in the side..
Menus are displayed using zenity and I don't have a clue how to hildonize it. But zenity is open source and someone could indeed do something for it's dialogs.

Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
yes, very good work indeed, but two things:

1. buttons/ radio selections during the install/config are very small, any chance to make them bigger (hildonize?)

2. when lots of other themes do this, can we have a main folder for say "theme colour chooser" in settings. then in that, are the themes; such as yours, and others when they are released

Originally Posted by f2thak View Post
yes, very good work indeed, but two things:

1. buttons/ radio selections during the install/config are very small, any chance to make them bigger (hildonize?)
Already answered this: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=735154&postcount=5

2. when lots of other themes do this, can we have a main folder for say "theme colour chooser" in settings. then in that, are the themes; such as yours, and others when they are released
Errmmm... we already have place to select different themes don't we My config is just to configure the Plastic Theme.

Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
Originally Posted by D-Iivil View Post
Errmmm... we already have place to select different themes don't we My config is just to configure the Plastic Theme.
yes, its a great idea.. but like i say, in future if other themes have this option

yes, its a great idea.. but like i say, in future if other themes have this option
Well.. in theory... yes, but those would have to be created with exact same way as I do mine. I think creating a new "standard" is a bit too task for me to start

The Following User Says Thank You to d-iivil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 8 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Hellsinki
Very nice theme! Using the black version atm.

Any chance of a red version? I really liked your R-Style Red Theme. I tried orange and pink, but I don't really like orange and pink was a bit too gay

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to davidian For This Useful Post: