Notices

Originally Posted by www.rzr.online.fr View Post
I meant video call with several persons ... That's where google hanghout is good at.
Yes, Ring allows for group video calls. It works with SIP underneath. Its as good as SIP is.

Note that Ring works without a central server, so the mixing has to be done on your machine.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aviau For This Useful Post:
Posts: 100 | Thanked: 307 times | Joined on Jan 2015 @ Argentina
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
.....and what about this one?
https://wire.com/download/
Wire is available for all modern platforms and devices.

IOS, Android, OS X 10.9, Windows 7 or above.

...mmm. and Gnu/Linux?...

For Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Edge and Opera.
On my Linux Machine:
Didn't work for Opera 12.16
I really like 12.16 and it works the best on my computer.

Didn't work for Chromium Version 47.0.2526.73 Built on Ubuntu 14.04, running on LinuxMint 17.2 (64-bit)

And I don't go to install/upgrade web browsers for test that wire.

After reading this on the terms of use
6.4 Open Source Apps. If you choose to build an Open Source App, certain restrictions apply, as follows: a. You agree not to change the way the Open Source App connects and interacts with our servers; b. You agree not to weaken any of the security features of the Open Source App; c. You agree not to use our servers to store data for purposes other than the intended and original functionality of the Open Source App; d. You acknowledge that you are solely responsible for any and all updates to your Open Source App. For clarity, if you compile the open source software that we make available from time to time to develop your own mobile, desktop or web application, and do not cause that application to connect to our servers for any purposes, then that application will not be deemed an Open Source App under this ToU and this ToU will not apply to that application.
I guess :
-is not decentralized-
-is not fully open-source
-use my bandwidth, cpu, and harddrive for ??

... I prefer ring or look for another.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to maegon9y00 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by aviau View Post
Ring Dev here.

Multi-device is coming soon. We will even bring usernames, so you can call "aviau" and it will ring on all of my devices.

Usernames will work with a decentralized blockchain-based registrar.

Multi-devices will require you to "authorize" your new device on any of your existing devices.
For those interested, all these promised features have today been released in the 2nd beta of Ring: https://ring.cx/en/download

It all seems to work astonishingly well and the look and feel of the clients has progressed immensely over the past months. Now I just need to figure out how to initiate a group chat, and most likely some way to easily send images inline to each other in single or group chats will be needed to win more people over, but for now I'm very pleasantly surprised and look forward to this becoming the way of communication.

Last edited by nthn; 2016-11-04 at 16:16.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 362 | Thanked: 1,373 times | Joined on Nov 2015 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by nthn View Post
For those interested, all these promised features have today been released in the 2nd beta of Ring: https://ring.cx/en/download

It all seems to work astonishingly well and the look and feel of the clients has progressed immensely over the past months. Now I just need to figure out how to initiate a group chat, and most likely some way to easily send images inline to each other in singly or group chats will be needed to win more people over, but for now I'm very pleasantly surprised and look forward to this becoming the way of communication.
I can only agree! This should be the new "default" IM/SIP client.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to eson For This Useful Post:
https://blog.savoirfairelinux.com/en...l-gnu-package/
Ring, officially a GNU package

Since the month of October, Ring is officially a GNU package, following its integration into the GNU project.

Distributed under the GPLv3+ license, Ring is a free software which enables communication in multiple ways between its users. It is a phone, a conference station, a platform for exchanges and media sharing, and a link for the Internet of Things, all in a world where freedom and security go hand in hand. Running on a distributed network and encrypted from end to end, Ring tries to provide to Ring users’ a high level of privacy and confidentiality.

In the mid 2000s, Savoir-faire Linux has started a project called SFL Phone. The project then evolved to produce another: Ring. This shift is marked by various milestones such as the transition from SIP server to the OpenDHT distributed network in 2014, permitting decentralized communication, peer to peer mode. Becoming a GNU package is a new venture for the project and the free software movement.
Thanks to external contributions, which are the cornerstone of the Ring project, the Savoir-faire Linux team has over several months developed a beta 2, which fits perfectly with the philosophy of free software. Beyond the code, Ring has established links between the development team and the local partner universities such as the Université du Québec à Montréal (UQÀM), Polytechnique Montréal and the École de Technologie Supérieure (ÉTS ) which is home to the Maison du Logiciel Libre (ML2).

We want to thank all our contributors, all of whose assistance was greatly appreciated.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to ginggs For This Useful Post:
Posts: 509 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Mexico/Germany
Interesting.
Can i install and use on my beloved N9 and Jolla?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chilango For This Useful Post:
Posts: 362 | Thanked: 1,373 times | Joined on Nov 2015 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by chilango View Post
Interesting.
Can i install and use on my beloved N9 and Jolla?
Not yet. We are all waiting.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to eson For This Useful Post:
On Sailfish, technically, yes, and it should be fully integrated in Messages, Phone, People and Accounts: https://github.com/alok4nand/telepathy-bell

However, it seems like development was stopped at the end of the summer, so it doesn't support the latest features yet. Hopefully the developer or someone else will continue the good work at some point.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Another very important thing currently missing which I forgot to mention is offline messaging: if you try to send a message to a device which is offline, it will never arrive, not even when it gets back online.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 509 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Mexico/Germany
if you like offline message, you need a central server.
The interesting thing auf Ring is that is decentralized and base on open standard (SIP).
Better you are always online, so it send the message if the other is back online.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chilango For This Useful Post:

Tags
sip client, videocall