Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
The bear brain says that I shall probably look at the Ovi store first, since there's a desktop link. Joe Public may not even find the maemo repository. Which means that if the bulk of apps are not streamed through to Ovi (which I can see is for very good reason), Joe may not find them. And in three months time he'll be complaining that he was sold this device on the promise of lots of apps being developed and they're not there.
Maemo Select is featured next to Ovi on the desktop.

Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
Originally Posted by eiffel View Post
When you try to work out the VAT implications of overseas device purchases, conference registrations, international software sales, support contracts etc you usually need to pay an accountant, especially when you try to apply the rules to a ringtone purchased by a customer using a PayPal account from country A, but the ringtone was actually downloaded from a server in country B while the customer was in country C, and you live in country D and are getting a commission from a store operated in country E but you bought some online advertising from a search engine in country F. And there are very different rules for the VAT-accounting of tangible and non-tangible items.
There's no inherent reason why Nokia must only deal with VAT-registered companies. It's just a way to simplify their life and keep their costs down.
For Ovi to reject applets from individuals is to go against the Apple iPhone apps model (which has proven wildly successful). And to force small American companies not doing business in Europe to register in the EU benefits no one.

When an American company sells software to someone living in the EU, my understanding is that it doesn't require a VAT registration number nor does it owe VAT on the sale.

On the other hand, a Federal EIN number is required to do business in the U.S., and in circumstances here in which some sort of tax identification number is needed, either an EIN or an SSN (social security number) must be supplied.

For a US company, maybe Ovi should accept a tax EIN as being the threshhold equivalent of the VAT registration number. That is, if it insists on thinning the horde of developers pushing at its doors by excluding individuals who write applets.

Roger S

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by code177 View Post
Not sure where you're getting these numbers from. From the fine print:
Reading "4.3.2. For purchases made via operator billing, " further also happens to yield...

For Content priced at or below the nominal price of
1.99 Euros (€ 1.99), fixed aggregator billing costs will be calculated at fifty
percent (50%) of the purchase price paid for Your Content after all applicable
taxes, returns, refunds and bad debt expenses are deducted. For Content priced at
or above the nominal price of 2.00 Euros (€ 2.00), but less than or equal to the
nominal price of 2.99 Euros (€ 2.99), fixed aggregator billing costs will be
calculated at forty-five percent (45%) of the purchase price paid for Your Content
after all applicable taxes, returns, refunds and bad debt expenses are deducted.
For Content priced at or above the nominal price of 3.00 Euros (€ 3.00), fixed
aggregator billing costs will be calculated at forty percent (40%) of the
purchase price paid by End-Users after all applicable taxes, returns, refunds and
bad debt expenses are deducted.
But the 500 EUR fine print is actually far more interesting. That would mean a minimum of 625 copies (in a best case scenario - no taxes, no returns, all payment by CC) before you see any money.

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
I couldn't agree more, but sadly I can only put one small thank you under that post. I'm beginning to fear that the vast majority of users will simply not understand what Extras is and how it relates to Ovi, and if that is true, I sincerely fear the long-term future of Extras (as that is the Ovi strangles Extras scenario from my previous post).
As far as I can tell there is no relationship between Ovi and extras yet and thats what this thread is about, trying to figure out what that is?

I just don't see the problem with selling and licensing closed developed software or giving away software for free that has been developed in a free open way. Does it have to be one or the other? I think the great thing about maemo is that instead of forcing a single solution on everyone there might actually be a way to keep as many people as possible content and able to operate in their comfort zones and that includes small one person developers porting apps, to mega corporations like EA developing open GL ES 2.0 games with million dollar budgets.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Yes.. For purchases made via operator billing.

I'm assuming that this is for applications that are sold through the ovi store as a proxy, and billed through your service provider (that's what it sounds like), as carriers sometimes like to do. Assuming that this is the case, I don't think this really applies to 99% of us because I don't think many of us are going to be signing carrier agreements for selling our apps.

I might not be as good at reading legalese as you, though.

It would be good if someone more knowledgeable could confirm this.

Clearly I don't know what I'm talking about so I'm just going to bow out and focus on finishing my app and let you guys figure out the complexities and social philosophies and viabilities of distribution.

My last two cents though: after the initial 50 euros has been covered, 50% of a euro is still 50c EUR more than I had previously. the difference between getting 70% and 50% is largely irrelevant to me. 50% of 1 Euro is still 80 cents in canadian dollars.

Last edited by code177; 2009-10-27 at 18:16.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Just to clear something up - you're not signing contracts with carriers for operator billing, Nokia is. That's why the percentage is higher - it has to include the operators cut.

Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by RogerS View Post
When an American company sells software to someone living in the EU, my understanding is that it doesn't require a VAT registration number nor does it owe VAT on the sale.
yes they DO owe VAT, if they're in B2C business. (in B2B the recieving company has to account for it)

"For the non-EU supplier whose EU customers are non-business individuals or organisations, there will now be an obligation to charge and account for VAT on these sales just as EU suppliers have to do."
source

if you're small enough you probably fall under the radar, but since this law is specifically for "VAT on digital services" and there are no exceptions but B2B, it's a risk and could become quite expensive...

The Following User Says Thank You to SubCore For This Useful Post:
Posts: 41 | Thanked: 144 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Lieto, Finland
Originally Posted by code177 View Post
So I thought I'd look into what services Nokia is offering for developers to publish to the Ovi store. 70% revenue is amazing, but then I noticed ... 50 euros just to register to publish?

That seems intensely high to me. For anyone who's an amateur developer, 50 euros is a hell of a bet.
Hey c'mon. That's not so much for getting the opportunity to make money with your software. How much does it cost to create that kind of channel by yourself? Answer: much more and even then you can't be sure that anyone will buy that! Another thing is that you can spend that sum of money easily for nothing like one evening at a bar (in Finland at least).

So for me 50€ sounds very reasonable.

Originally Posted by zchydem View Post
Hey c'mon. That's not so much for getting the opportunity to make money with your software.
Well, IMO that totally depends on the cost of living where you live. Try multiplying that amount by 10 and you'll get some idea how much it is to some people. You want to pay 500 euro? I suspect not.

Then, it seems, you're assuming that people want to make money from it in the first place. Is 50 euro too much if you don't intend on charging for your app?

So for me 50€ sounds very reasonable.
Then you earn more than others, I guess.

Originally Posted by davidmaxwaterman View Post
Then, it seems, you're assuming that people want to make money from it in the first place. Is 50 euro too much if you don't intend on charging for your app?
The way I see it, Ovi is for apps with commercial ambitions. If you don't want to make money off your application, then there's Extras. Cost of listing on Extras is €0, a magical number which transcends currency exchange rates and does not change depending on costs of living where you hang your hat.

Tags
bizarro ovi store, development, nokia, ovi store