Active Topics

Posts: 141 | Thanked: 359 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Italy
Originally Posted by sandy_locke View Post
I actually like the scope thing. Or to be precise, I dislike the app ecosystem stuff, and I think that phones don't really *need* apps, but more have everything melted into the OS like scope does.
I kind of agree. This can work beautifully and transparently for users, and the Nokia maemo/meego devices were heading in this direction I think:

Chat/instant messaging is handled centrally by an application, extensible with plugins
Sharing also can be done mostly in the same fashion,

Sailfish is a step backwards in this regard, mostly because the APIs are not available for development from third party. It is probably a temporary problem, but I really hope it is fixed soon.

On the other hand, I understand why third party developers like the "app" echosystem: they get to be visible, show their brand and get some revenue back.

In an open source environment, the pressure to create silos is less, but still, cerating your own application tend to be cooler than working on infrastructure or plugins.

But users would benefit from common services more than from thousands of applications.

By the way, the enphasis on application marketplace is misplaced in general. there may be millions of apps, but end users are going to install sone dozens of applications at most. The trick is to have the right applications available, of course.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mikelima For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
uPhOne.
and here we go again

about scopes, I don't like them, not a bit. I'm very well organized, I know exactly what I want and where to look for it so this modern "you also might be interested in" approach annoys me a lot.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Top order number seen so far by me was 3xxxxx169, delivery in march?

EDIT:

Well, if they sell in batches of let's say, 200, and there's a large number of people that didn't get it, it may make them show that er, lust, to their other friends, who then become interested.. let's see how this pans out.

Last edited by Stskeeps; 2015-02-11 at 09:59.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
Top order number seen so far by me was 3xxxxx169, delivery in march?

EDIT:

Well, if they sell in batches of let's say, 200, and there's a large number of people that didn't get it, it may make them show that er, lust, to their other friends, who then become interested.. let's see how this pans out.
I don't understand what you just said/mean so I will thank you er lust What?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2015-02-11 at 14:08.

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by mikelima View Post
Sailfish is a step backwards in this regard, mostly because the APIs are not available for development from third party. It is probably a temporary problem, but I really hope it is fixed soon.
Define "temporary". It's been over a year.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
about scopes, I don't like them, not a bit. I'm very well organized, I know exactly what I want and where to look for it so this modern "you also might be interested in" approach annoys me a lot.
+1!

I would put tracker in the same basket. Get rid of it and all that "gallery" malarky and give me a file manager-based media player.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
* Where is the ambience/theme support?
* Where is pulleymenus?

UPhone seems very boring and non UI friendly to me...

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 160 | Thanked: 302 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Spain
Kinda tired of all this media-consumption nonsense. Give me a proper xterm device with call capability.

Boy, what can I say? EPIC......No, LEGENDARY......

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to xanderx For This Useful Post:
Posts: 141 | Thanked: 359 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Italy
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
Define "temporary". It's been over a year.
Yeah, it kind of sucks. But a few APIS got the green light with update10, and there is hope Jolla will move forward with the rest, now that there is competition.

Anyway the priority so far has been to improve stability and features of the base os. Which was the right thing to do, I think.

But some effort on documentation and policy for third party is really needed. If the Os was completely open sourced, or only accepted open source applications, things would be take up faster. But it could be a problem for the Jolla company.

The sailfishos site redesign is an hopeful sign, we will have to see if it gets the constant attention it needs.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mikelima For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
It seems like Scopes is just some screens containing widgets with a common theme on them. You can do that on any android phone now. Am I missing something?