Finally! experiencing Sailfish (after having N800/N900/N9), and so glad the wait is over. But can someone explain what these things in the swipe-down-from-the-top menu are; Silent-Flow-Work-Party-Freedom-Salamander-Sailing? It is not obvious, and whatever they are it sure seems like that real estate could be put to better use.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lancewex For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
They are basically like profiles for different situations. You can configure them from Settings -> Ambiances. And have a setting to quickly change from silent phone, to only calls, or different call tune etc.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
It's called Ambience. Go to Settings - Ambiance and explore.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 301 | Thanked: 531 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ The Netherlands
Now we are at this... In Settings - Ambiences, select an Ambience. Down at the bottom, beneath all the ringtones, there is an Add Actions +. It is grey and not functional. Was it always there, and is it meant to work? It promises something like Situations.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rob_kouw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rob_kouw View Post
Now we are at this... In Settings - Ambiences, select an Ambience. Down at the bottom, beneath all the ringtones, there is an Add Actions +. It is grey and not functional. Was it always there, and is it meant to work? It promises something like Situations.
No it is just a fixed list and you happend to look at an ambience that have all items used. Look at silent for instance where you will see you can add the actions you saw active on other ambiences.

The Following User Says Thank You to ljo For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by lancewex View Post
it sure seems like that real estate could be put to better use.
coderus could have promoted his awesome work himself, but i will do then.
I think you will love his "Powermenu 2 in Ambiance switcher" patch to toggle the features you normally reach from notifictions pulley menu or settings.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
In Settings > Developer tools there's an option to add a reboot button next to the power button to the top of the Ambience menu (Developer mode has to be enabed IIRC).

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mrsellout For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
definitely waste. why have a quick settings for ambiance? I would like to use it as quick setting for wifi, network, flightmode and Bluetooth .

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Exactly, Dave! I for one have changed an ambiance exactly once. When I replaced the stock wallpaper with my own photo. Never used any of Jolla's supplied alternative ambiances.

Jolla seems to consider a quick switching between ambiances one of their unique selling points. They had a brilliant idea with their first phone to use replaceable back covers with connectors to enable various expansion functions. And what did they use it for? Ambiances. A complete misfire.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 339 | Thanked: 1,623 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ France
Welcome to sailfish !

If you are interested, you can read some of the former UI designer (Jaakko Roppola) articles on his blog, for first hand reason why things were done this way.

in the case of ambiences, this one in particular is interesting :
http://jaakkoroppola.blogspot.fr/201...ks_12.html?m=1

I personnaly follow the ideas he presented here, but you are free to prefere to add some patches if this behavior doesn't suit you.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zeta For This Useful Post: