Posts: 139 | Thanked: 97 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ United States
I just got my white N9 last week, and I'm also experiencing this issue. It makes me cringe whenever I press the lock button or volume keys..

My device creak whenever pressure is put just below the middle of the device on the left side.

Last edited by AndrewX192; 2012-03-14 at 20:57. Reason: Typo

Posts: 139 | Thanked: 97 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ United States
Okay, I guess I'm not the first to experience this, but my device is now feels solid and has ceased making creaking noises. I haven't made any modifications to it, or abused the device.

Old thread, but my N9 started creaking recently, and I've had it since early December. It does it when I push the screen on the left side, right near where the screen meets the plastic body, and about 3/4 from the top. Must be the screen coming apart from the body, ever so slightly. The phone felt so solid when I got it that this does bum me out. Especially since I have no hope of warranty in the U.S.

Posts: 26 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Prague, Czech republic
Yeah, common problem. Maybe changing the housing could solve the problem. Anybody with creaking body tried?

Oh I thought I was the only one with this issue!

I received my black N9 and from day one it was making this noise! I called Nokia Canada regarding manufacturers warranty. I was on the phone with them for a few weeks and was ultimately told to piss off.

My phone was not abused in any way, although it pains me to say it, I am glad I am not the only one. This further proves it is a manufacturer defect.

Their reps are completely uneducated regarding the N9 and offered me no assistance. I even had one of state that because the phone was not released in Canada or USA they would not honour any warranty plain and simple.

Nokia manufactured this product, with a defect. And because the phone crossed some imaginary border they get to wipe their hands clean of any responsibility regarding the defects? I don't think so.

Anyways, the seller I purchased this from was nice enough to take it back and is sending me another one. Hopefully this one does not have the same issue.

Is there anything we can do? petition? writing campaign?

Posts: 26 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Prague, Czech republic
Well, petition and writing campaign is useless. Sadly, it's just the thing of the N9 / Lumia 800 construction. Some creak, some don't. I was posting my story here some time ago, but from some weird reason, it didn't appeared. Anyway, I had the very same problem, so I contacted my seller here, they said, that it's none of their bussiness, that it's not a reason for exchange and sent me to their service partner. At the service, they said, that they cannot do anything with that and sent me to the higher level Nokia partner service here. Because the higher level service partner was out of the town, I wrote to the Nokia Care with question, what to do. They said service is non of their bussiness and recommended me to send it for repair to the service out of town. But I didn't want a ****ing service of brand new device. So I went to the Nokia Flagship store, and ask for their opinion about the creaking. They said, that only my seller can change me to phone, but admitted, that the N9 shouldn't creak and that I should go for a replace. Plus they also gave me a contact for a highest level Nokia service in my city. So I wrote to that service, and asked them about it. They said, that they have to see it, and that they can write me some kind of review, if the phone should be exchanged (for money of course). So I took my N9 there, let them write the review, they said, that it has this problem and that it meets all the conditions for warranty. Than I went to the seller and told him about my problem, he said, that it's not a problem for exchange and that I should sent it to the service. So I showed him the paper from the other service. Than at once he miraculously changed his approach and said, that of course, they will replace me the phone But first they have to send it to Nokia, for other expertise. So they took me the phone, I waited for like a month and got the phone changed for a new one. Well, the new one I've got creacks even more

The Following User Says Thank You to Dan_F For This Useful Post:
My black 64GB one (bought back in October) has a slight creaking when pressing the sides hard. That's bearable for me.

The Magenta one of my girlfriend creaks a LOT already when only very gently pressing into the sides. But I have to admit, she already dropped hers countless times, so we don't complain :-D

This creacking drives me crazy..
The whole point of unibody is to be SOLID.
My -fisher prize-plastic galaxy s doesnt creack like that..

ill open the the phone and see what can i do to stop that annoying thing >.<

My N9 was creaking from the bottom right third of the phone. It was sent to Nokia for repair and no longer creaks. I believe that they have replaced the case. This must be a known issue ?

Originally Posted by sts1976 View Post
My N9 was creaking from the bottom right third of the phone. It was sent to Nokia for repair and no longer creaks. I believe that they have replaced the case. This must be a known issue ?
Civilization..
My n9 was defective (motherboard. reboots & freezes all day long) and replaced (the board) after 11 weeks (sent it 4 times).
There was a huge problem and took them 11 weeks to fix the phone (they updated my software 3 times and completely ignored me).
I cant imagine how many times ill have to send the phone for the creacks issue..
So nokia service is not an option for me..

All hail Nokia Greece

The Following User Says Thank You to nikos523 For This Useful Post: