Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Not that I agree with ZogG on everything, but he has a point that there are still a lot of problems in Sailfish. Some of them are very basic things but they have been left there for such a long time that we have become accustomed to them and no longer even talk about them. Nothing to do with you personally.
True that, too.
People get accustomed to working around problems and hitches, and the workarounds and hacks get integrated into their workflow and soon are not even noticed any longer as hindurances...

https://xkcd.com/1172/

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 229 | Thanked: 725 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Permanent cruiser - either water- or motorways
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
True that, too.
People get accustomed to working around problems and hitches, and the workarounds and hacks get integrated into their workflow and soon are not even noticed any longer as hindurances...

https://xkcd.com/1172/
Thats just how Windows(TM) and macOS(TM) are working from rev 1 till today ;-) - people get used to it - thats why I try to use (or at least just try) every available OS on computers and mobile devices (ok not every available desktop-linux to be honest) to stay open for improvements and new ideas - but as I keep returning to XFCE and macOS(TM) on the desktop, iOS on the tablet and Sailfish on my mobile it seems I'm already caught in the "used-to" trap ;-)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to elastic For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
there are still a lot of problems in Sailfish. Some of them are very basic things but they have been left there for such a long time that we have become accustomed to them and no longer even talk about them. Nothing to do with you personally.
For sure I agree on that, there are many one-line fixes that would improve the OS tenfold but for some mysterious reason stay unfixed forever*, and instead we get crap like the Messages and Notes cover redesigns no one asked for and no one wants. The comment just came out of nowhere.

* The Phone application still does not show the keypad by default, switching to a different ambience still destroys all settings for the default sounds, it's still impossible to connect to networks like eduroam through the GUI (not counting the Roamer application by nodevel, that proves this is not a very difficult thing to add), and so on. It's also still impossible to pay for applications on the Store and Jolla still keep lying about freeing more source code of the wholly unnecessarily proprietary parts of the OS. I could go on for days.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nthn View Post
switching to a different ambience still destroys all settings for the default sounds
How's that? What do you mean with default sounds?
My sounds don't change when I switch between ambiences.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sthocs For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by atlochowski View Post
Try to visit https://www.theguardian.com/ . Browser always crash
A fake news site filter... cool

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to switch-hitter For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Sthocs View Post
How's that? What do you mean with default sounds?
My sounds don't change when I switch between ambiences.
Set the default ringtones (in Settings -> Sounds and feedback) to custom ringtones, then put different ringtones as the actions for a certain ambience (in Settings -> Ambiences). Once you switch to this ambience from your current one, your ringtones will change to the ones defined by the ambience. The problem is, this change in ringtones is not temporary, instead it actually changes the default ringtones you just defined in Settings. This means you lose all your default ringtones every time you change to an ambience that has custom ringtones, and the ambience ringtones become the defaults. Going back to your previous ambience has no effect, unless you had also put custom ringtones on that one, and then that ambience changes your default ringtones once again. To top this off, even if you remove the ringtone actions from Jolla's ambiences, they return after every update, and if you happen to select one of Jolla's ambiences before removing those custom ambience ringtone actions again, you'll have a lot of fun setting up all your ringtones yet again, every time.

Complicated explanation, but the problem is simple, which is precisely why it's so frustrating.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nthn View Post
Going back to your previous ambience has no effect, unless you had also put custom ringtones on that one, and then that ambience changes your default ringtones once again. To top this off, even if you remove the ringtone actions from Jolla's ambiences, they return after every update.
Hmm ok I see, I don't use many ambiences and the only action they have is for the alarm music (my phone is most of the time in silent mode anyway).

So here is another "workaround / hack to integrate into your workflow" : Create a "default" ambience with all your default sounds and apply it temporarily as an intermediary step when you want to switch to another ambience.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sthocs For This Useful Post:
Posts: 277 | Thanked: 546 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ rack city
oh god , my phone is having reboot problem, d*mn.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hardy_magnus For This Useful Post:
Since the update, I have sometimes trouble silenting calls or dismissing alarms. Both uses the bottom-up sliding gesture. Did anybody experience similar? Strangely it sometimes seems to be connected somehow with Coderus's Battery Overlay. I usually see that BO has stopped, when this sliding problem happens. Even more strange is, when I restart BO, sliding bug is fixed,...

Last edited by Merienth; 2017-05-30 at 06:12. Reason: typo

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Merienth For This Useful Post:
Posts: 592 | Thanked: 1,603 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Berlin / Germany
Originally Posted by Merienth View Post
Since the update, I have sometimes trouble silenting calls or dismissing alarms. Both uses the bottom-up sliding gesture. Did anybody experience similar? Strangely it sometimes seems to be connected somehow with Coderus's Battery Overlay. I usually see that BO has stopped, when this sliding problem happens. Even more strange is, when I restart BO, sliding bug is fixed,...
Yes i can confirm this. 2.1.0.xx is a very buggy release. On Jolla Tablet its a nightmare....

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to explit For This Useful Post:

Tags
sailfish os, sfos upgrade