Posts: 516 | Thanked: 643 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Denmark/Poland
Hello,

currently at my uni as a project we are developing Context Toolbox for Maemo. We already have this on S60 (http://milab.imm.dtu.dk/context).

This will be a set of APIs working on different levels, starting with simple sensors readings (GPS, accelerometer, WiFi etc.), through middle layer of events managing, label storing etc. and ending with high level blocks (labels sharing via bluetooth, smart location based on power consumption etc.)

So far we have very good experience with this on S60 as students can easily create a context-aware application, some of them being exactly what you are describing here.
We should be ready with first (still rather basic) functionalities in mid-December. The toolbox is written in C++ and it nicely hides all the sensors management stuff.

At this moment we do not plan API for profiles on Maemo, simply because some things are in focus first. But it should be possible to be done. With this API, writing the application mentioned would be extremely easy.

Useful links for newcomers:
Użyteczne linki:
Nowi użyktownicy mówią cześć | New members say hello , Tu zaczynają nowi użytkownicy | New users start here, Podforum społeczności | Community subforum, Wiki dla początkujących | Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Często zadawane pytania | Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ), Google

Jeżeli mogę w czymś pomóc, pytaj!
If I can help with anything else, just ask!

Bored? Follow me

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hopbeat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 183 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
The whole idea sounds alot futuristic, I mean changing profiles & opening applications automatically based on your location?
Maybe it's the word "automatically", that makes me suspicious. Why not have an APP with different profiles that you can fill with predefined actions like this:

profile 1: (if coordinate x= between a & b & y = between c & d)
"open email client, open new email, mute phone".

profile 2: (if coordinate x= between e & f & y = between g & h)
"open skype, call contact "Tom"".

And everytime you execute the APP, it gets the coordinates via gps & executes the according profile. That would be a bit more manual, but still pretty cool, useful & battery life friendlier.

-Albert Camus
If this post was useful, please use the "Thanks"-button and I will do so, when you post something useful.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by Cherrypie View Post
The whole idea sounds alot futuristic, I mean changing profiles & opening applications automatically based on your location?
Maybe it's the word "automatically", that makes me suspicious. Why not have an APP with different profiles that you can fill with predefined actions like this:

profile 1: (if coordinate x= between a & b & y = between c & d)
"open email client, open new email, mute phone".

profile 2: (if coordinate x= between e & f & y = between g & h)
"open skype, call contact "Tom"".

And everytime you execute the APP, it gets the coordinates via gps & executes the according profile. That would be a bit more manual, but still pretty cool, useful & battery life friendlier.
You're right because not using GPS and polling the GPSd would save battery power but the idea is rather an interesting evolution. There is already Skyhook Wireless, GeoIP, BlueProximity.

Your examples also don't make much sense IMO. I'd rather use these examples:

1A) If not in own country, disable GPRS.
1B) If not in own country, only allow GPRS network connections based on my consent.
1C) If not in own country, count how much money is spend on GPRS.
1C) If not in own country, disable automatic

2) If getting at work, go into 'work modus'. Put all voice calls silently on voicemail except from number +31612345678 because then it is an emergency. IM client messages are silently logged, and IM status is 'working'. Go into 'mode before work modus' when leaving work. Note how this may result people start to contact you while traveling back home which may not be desired depending on method of transport so for some the 'mode before work modus' may rather be used when user arrives home. Also note this could be cron-based, which then overlaps with Shepherd.

These are 2 examples which make more sense. Although, for example, when arriving at airport, call Tom does also make sense because there is money burned and interaction required such should first require confirmation from user. Maybe a 'buzz' as a reminder to call Tom as a calendar event makes more sense, then allowing the user to confirm and actually 'do it' or 'postpone remind in X min', 'postpone remind with defined date', or 'cancel'.

Posts: 25 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Prague
This is suggestion
I cant belive there is no-one who mentioned that (search was used)
So my turn - some profile extension like addon for profile switcher
which will be able to do something depend on you position (unique number of bts - your operator transmitter ) maybe with GPS coexistence (for more accurate positioning ) like switching to your home / work wifi network ,change ringing profile ...there is lot of options i think.

There is already a deamon which can check that - like headphoned , i do some search in system ,but could not find any file with bts state, number ,etc ?

I can try to develop it ,if someone will help me

Last edited by chemist; 2010-02-01 at 04:05.

Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
Not BTS but everything else was mentioned yet

For those who do not know: Base Transceiver Stations are part of the cell network

merged with "BTS based profile change" to here

Last edited by chemist; 2010-02-01 at 11:31.

Posts: 197 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Europe
sounds pretty much like "MarcoPolo" on my mac.
With MacoPolo you can defined several different things to happen if a specific event happens. One for example is to change all the network settings if a specific SSID is within WLAN distance.

count me in for this one, where should I vote?

Tags
brainstorm, profiles, wifi