hi!...I was ready to buy the n800 until i found some threads on forums about people's SD cards dying with their n800...seems to be related to the newest firmware/OS or something...wondering if anyone can confirm this...i was getting ready to decide which SD cards to buy with the n800, and then heard of people's 4gb/8gb cards just dying...please advise!...which SD cards would people recommend?? (ie. brands/size)

-Thanx!

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by jackass124 View Post
hi!...I was ready to buy the n800 until i found some threads on forums about people's SD cards dying with their n800...seems to be related to the newest firmware/OS or something...wondering if anyone can confirm this...i was getting ready to decide which SD cards to buy with the n800, and then heard of people's 4gb/8gb cards just dying...please advise!...which SD cards would people recommend?? (ie. brands/size)

-Thanx!
It could be (see http://intr.overt.org/blog/?p=53, in the replies) that only SDHC cards are affected by the "killcard-bug", so if you stay with non-SDHC cards (max 2GB, although several 4GB versions also work), you might be in the clear.

Or not. With the new firmware, you take your chances. Nokia doesn't say anything and, as far as I know, isn't doing anything either.

Aren't they a swell company?

Posts: 64 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ abuja, nigeria (currently)
actually I think if you look in bugzilla they are working on it but having problems reproducing iirc. my own suspicion remains bad contacts/connections and similar hw issues, but haven't had a chance to collect any sdhc cards yet. there's also an updated kernel from philipl now with the extra bits he included originally : http://intr.overt.org/blog/?p=54

rob.

ya I was reading through the bugzilla stuff...sounds like lots of larger SD cards failing...so, only stick with 2gb cards for now??...if the n800 kills the cards, i think Nokia should be held responsible...don't you?...i thought they said SDHC cards are working with the newest OS release?
....I REALLY wanna buy the N800, AND have maximum storage space (ie. 16gb)...but how can i at this point??...this seems like a MAJOR FLAW in the hardware/OS..

Posts: 271 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Finland
I have Transsend 4GB and 8GB cards. So far so good..

Mika...so, those cards are running fine using the newest OS+firmware??...and you have been doing lots of transfers to/from the cards??....i'm wondering if some brands may be more succeptible than others...who knows?...maybe Transcend is fine but others are more flaky...maybe other people could post their SD card brand/storage size in this thread!...would be helpful!

Thanx!

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by jackass124 View Post
ya I was reading through the bugzilla stuff...sounds like lots of larger SD cards failing...so, only stick with 2gb cards for now??...if the n800 kills the cards, i think Nokia should be held responsible...don't you?...i thought they said SDHC cards are working with the newest OS release?
....I REALLY wanna buy the N800, AND have maximum storage space (ie. 16gb)...but how can i at this point??...this seems like a MAJOR FLAW in the hardware/OS..
You can always buy a N800 and make sure it runs the second-to-last firmware. That one runs quite flawlessly, AFAIAC. Of course, you're limited to 4GB non-HC SD cards; check the forum for those that'll work, but be prepared for an extensive search: non-SD 4GB cards are becoming increasingly scarse; and no, you can't have mine .

This of course is a major pain in the rear: I can only take 20 movies with me. Boo-freakin'-hoo. (that was sarcasm)

As to Nokia taking responsibility: Good luck on that one. OTOH, I'm quite certain Nokia will eventually resolve the issue. Problem is, they may have a different value for "eventually"...

With new firmware I am using:

Patriot Signature Line 8GB SDHC Secure Digital High Capacity Class 4 Flash Card in the internal slot. No dead cards, But.. reading the card can seem very slow sometimes, which i think is the way the OS "indexes" the contents of removable cards each time you read them.

But so far so good.

Originally Posted by Pebkac View Post
With new firmware I am using:

Patriot Signature Line 8GB SDHC Secure Digital High Capacity Class 4 Flash Card in the internal slot. No dead cards, But.. reading the card can seem very slow sometimes, which i think is the way the OS "indexes" the contents of removable cards each time you read them.

But so far so good.
That's the metacrawler, something Nokia added for brain-dead users who cannot remember by themselves where they left their stuff. Unfortunately, metacrawler cannot be turned off safely (Nokia must assume all users are brain-dead), so we're stuck with the crap.

OTOH, this (http://intr.overt.org/blog/?p=54) might help. Use at your own peril, obviously.

Posts: 271 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Finland
Yes. I have laters OS and havent had any problems. Atleast not yet.

Only problem was that my pc USB SD/MMC cardreader didnt understand my 8GB Transsend memorycard. But its not N800 problem.