Posts: 82 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ New Mexico, USA
This is a rank newbie/ignoramus question, but I cannot find details, specs, or instructions anywhere about the earphones (apparently they have some kind of built-in mic and squeeze button) that came with the N800. On a few Skype posts here on the forum there are scattered references to how to use these earphones, but nada in the box the N800 came in, nor the pdf file user guide for the N800. Can anyone point me to a place where a particularly dense-brained user can learn about how to use these earphones? Or anyone here care to bash out a quick but somewhat comprehensive rundown on N800 stock earphone usage and functionality? Thanks!

Posts: 236 | Thanked: 149 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Finland
I don't think that there is any push button on the headset. They include stereo earphones and a microphone and they connect to N800 with a single plug. The sound quality is OK for internet calls, but get another set of headphones if you're planning on listening to music.

Instructions to use:
*Plug in the earphones, make sure the plug is all the way in
*Put the earphone marked with R to your right ear. L goes to the left ear.
*Clip the clip to your shirt so that the microphone is positioned near your mouth. Be sure not to eat it though.
*Speak and listen accordingly.

Last edited by Naranek; 2007-08-15 at 17:58.

Posts: 136 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Lafayette, LA
There is a button on my set of Nokia earphones. I don't know what to do with it except push it for fun.

Posts: 68 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Lynnwood, WA
Originally Posted by adammelancon View Post
There is a button on my set of Nokia earphones. I don't know what to do with it except push it for fun.
Mine has got a button, too. Glad someone asked about it here. I just haven't gotten up the nerve to.
Registered Linux User: #281828
Fedora Core 6 / Nokia N800

I knew trying to chew the microphone was the wrong way to go!!!! It is, however, delicious.

Thanks for idiot-proof instructions. Though I still suspect the mic unit has some kind of switching function since the top front panel with the Nokia logo on it makes a clicking noise when you squeeze/depress the panel.

It's a mute button actually. Simply disconnects the microphone while pressed. Can be used to curse out person you're talking about on the Skype.

Posts: 236 | Thanked: 149 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by HalSF View Post
Though I still suspect the mic unit has some kind of switching function since the top front panel with the Nokia logo on it makes a clicking noise when you squeeze/depress the panel.
Dammit. I did try to squeese the little black box but couldn't find the button. Now It's me that's depressed

Okay! We have successfully plumbed the technical, culinary, and emotional depths of the N800 earphones. Thanks to all!

Posts: 101 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Greensboro, NC
The button on my N800 headset (HS-48), terminates the call when depressed during a Skype conversation. Possibly it serves as a call transfer button if another call comes in when you are already in a conversation?

Posts: 136 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Lafayette, LA
But, how do the headphones make you feel?