Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
So I cam across this interesting article.. It's MeeGo on the Nexus One.. I am glad that there are people out there that are pretty interested on getting MeeGo to run on other vendor's platforms..

http://mynokiablog.com/2010/11/03/ga...-instructions/

What are your thoughts about this?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bandora For This Useful Post:
The same as every other time it was posted on the forum, no 3D = no use

Still an impressive bit of work, though.

The Following User Says Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
I think Samsung opened up their driver source (incl. GPU). If indeed true, the Galaxy S may make a better target.

Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
I think Samsung opened up their driver source (incl. GPU). If indeed true, the Galaxy S may make a better target.
As a Galaxy S and N900 owner i strongly agree with that statement.

Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
And we went over this when they did their code drop, the driver source is still closed. The kernel bits are open, but they're open for the N900 as well. All the good bits are compiled against the Android-specific libc, run in user space, and are not open

If they had actually done that, I'd consider buying one (since the I9000 is available from Newegg unlocked and without contract.)

The Following User Says Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
And we went over this when they did their code drop, the driver source is still closed. The kernel bits are open, but they're open for the N900 as well. All the good bits are compiled against the Android-specific libc, run in user space, and are not open

If they had actually done that, I'd consider buying one (since the I9000 is available from Newegg unlocked and without contract.)
We did?! Sorry for my mistake (and fuzzy memory). I do remember the Android specific libc bits though.

There already is a thread:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=64973

There we're discussing having MeeGo being ported to the HD2 (xda link) and the port to the Nexus One (myNblog).
But 'tis true, Samsung have opened there codes (drivers I believe) and I read this a little while back. This would mean that MeeGo would definetly be (somewhat) possible and it may actually be smooth due to the better CPU/GPU/RAM.

Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
There already is a thread:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=64973

There we're discussing having MeeGo being ported to the HD2 (xda link) and the port to the Nexus One (myNblog).
But 'tis true, Samsung have opened there codes (drivers I believe) and I read this a little while back. This would mean that MeeGo would definetly be (somewhat) possible and it may actually be smooth due to the better CPU/GPU/RAM.
Well I'm sorry, but it would be nice to put tags on your thread so next time someone opens a new thread the search will find the similar thread.. I did search before opening this new thread.. so just saying..

And that's awesome news for MeeGo.. Amazing stuff is going to happen in the future of Nokia.. And I can't wait.. now they only need to guarantee support for the Harmattan/MeeGo devices (just like how Symbian is guaranteed updates for a loong while).. Then I am all down on buying the next phone (supposedly the Nokia N9)..

Last edited by bandora; 2010-11-08 at 00:46.

Tags
android, google, meego, nexus, nexus one