After reading

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817...069TX1K0001121

thought i'd benchmark microb on my n800, an hour later (!) I had the results.

microb : 645227.0ms yes that's 645 seconds per itteration
microb with webkit : 47213.8ms
tear : 50944.6ms

from the above review :
iphone 3GS : 27272ms
iphone 3GS with safari : 3606ms
ie7 on hp mini 110 : 411,168ms

yes the n800/n810 designs are probably 3-4 years old but the standard microb performance is embarrising.

Wonder where all the iphone performance is coming from ? As the n800/810 are primarily for web browsing i'm amazed that web-kit is not part of one of the upgrades we have had.

hope nokia does better with its next offering.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
You're comparing an OMAP2 device with a computer and two OMAP3 devices. Nuff said.

Although, I won't deny that MicroB isn't great.

Last edited by qwerty12; 2009-06-24 at 20:52.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
You're comparing an OMAP2 device with a computer and two OMAP3 devices. Nuff said.
I disagree with your statement and I agree with his original assessment. Why DOES Nokia prefer to include such a terribly slow implementation on a product that was primarily intended to be an Internet device?

I can't use MicroB anymore--can't tolerate it. I actually wish I could make Tear the default and free up the space that MicroB is using up that could better be used by some other data or application.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
And IE7 is still closer to MicroB than to WebKit

Btw, guys, don't forget that most browser optimizations and the introduction of JIT were during the last year. In fact FF3.5 is not even out yet, while Safari 4 and Chrome 2 got out the last several weeks.

Last edited by Bundyo; 2009-06-24 at 20:56.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
I disagree with your statement and I agree with his original assessment. Why DOES Nokia prefer to include such a terribly slow implementation on a product that was primarily intended to be an Internet device?

I can't use MicroB anymore--can't tolerate it. I actually wish I could make Tear the default and free up the space that MicroB is using up that could better be used by some other data or application.
Well, I detest MicroB too (and hated it even more when they introduced browserd) and much prefer Tear with its webkit. Tear does really show what this hardware can do.

But Nokia could only work with what they had hardware-wise at the time, can't blame 'em for that. Won't argue with you about MicroB though.

The Following User Says Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
2 times faster than microb with webkti is not a huge difference, specially when considering the hardware.

Besides the fact that this is Javascript benchmark, this doesent mean that the iphone 3GS render web pages 2 times faster than the best the N8x0 can do. (Even if it may)

13 times faster with webkit vs microb.

Probably says more about the lifetime of tech toys than anything else. N900 benchmark result will be interesting, if its not up to par then nokia may have problems.

Agree with sentiments about validity of processor comparisons and recent api upgrades, but the later can be solved by sw upgrades.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
Well, I detest MicroB too (and hated it even more when they introduced browserd) and much prefer Tear with its webkit. Tear does really show what this hardware can do.

But Nokia could only work with what they had hardware-wise at the time, can't blame 'em for that. Won't argue with you about MicroB though.
Agreed, they worked with what they had at the time--but no, wait.. WebKit's been around for a LONG time now, hasn't it? hmmmm. And didn't they start out with Opera and switch to the gecko engine? Why didn't they do continue that trend on to webkit?

More importantly, why can't I uninstall microB or their default media player or any of these components I don't want and where I prefer the truly open and much more functional alternative? Seems like a waste of resources to leave the stuff on there that I never use or even detest now.

sheesh I guess I'm impressed..my Archos 5 pulls it off
in 123146 ms ...
for the record I also own an 810 and an itouch

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Just wait until Bundyo gets the ARM js optimizations & JIT added to Maemo Webkit. Zoom!

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:

Tags
benchmark, browser, performance