Active Topics

Closed Thread
Posts: 155 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Dublin
A good article here.

http://communities-dominate.blogs.co...far-worse.html

I know this is a Maemo forum but i'm quite sure a lot of the people who post on here are also loyal Nokia customers. We want to see the company doing well.

This will never happen while Elop is at the helm.

The only way he'll leave the company is if the shareholders start panicking and although they have made an operating loss for this quarter the billion or so that MS are paying them will offset the initial cash losses.

So basically by the time they notice the scale of the problem it will be a few years from now and any chance the company will have had to get back in the game will be long gone.

It's really sad to say but RIP Nokia.. time for us to move on with our lives.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Creamy Goodness View Post
Well, you know, might want to wait until it stops dropping... Investors are selling it because nokia said 'we will lose max 2% this quarter' and now they say 3%. Not really a big difference.
Nokia has sold at least 2 million lumia phones already, and they're going to lose some money because they are giving them away for almost nothing. It might take another 6 months for them to make any money, but the stocks will go up then.
When Nokia says sold, are they talking about sold to retailers/vendors... or are these sold to consumers and activations? These days, too many companies play this game and Nokia hasn't been particularly innocent if these tactics before.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
It's two million sold, they didn't say how many activations.
I don't really trust google's activation numbers anyways, their store shows my tablet twice (I guess the ICS rom I installed did something weird) and my mp3 player runs android too so apparently I have 2-3 android activations without ever owning an android phone.

You can look at how many people use the wp7 facebook app to estimate activations. It's not looking good honestly, it was at 1.1 million in mid november, now it's at 1.7 million. The guy that wrote that artice says it's double the rate before Nokia came along, but still. Slow.

Last edited by Creamy Goodness; 2012-04-12 at 02:59.

Originally Posted by Creamy Goodness View Post
It's two million sold, they didn't say how many activations.
I don't really trust google's activation numbers anyways, their store shows my tablet twice (I guess the ICS rom I installed did something weird) and my mp3 player runs android too so apparently I have 2-3 android activations without ever owning an android phone.

You can look at how many people use the wp7 facebook app to estimate activations. It's not looking good honestly, it was at 1.1 million in mid november, now it's at 1.7 million. The guy that wrote that artice says it's double the rate before Nokia came along, but still. Slow.
I think all these numbers (including the 1.5 million N9 numbers) that NOK talked about represent the phone they manufactured and possibly sold to retailers not actually customers.

The WP number is simply awful, in comparison N9 has 10% (210k) the number of active users. After today's news I kind of given up any hope on Meltemi and so-called future disruption. Before any disruption happens, NOK will destruct itself first.

Let's just say NOK has been trying too hard to protect their WP efforts and set really low price point for their next billion devices. And unfortunately the longer it takes them to fine tune the hardware, the more pressure they have on the target devices due to strong competitions. Even launching the next billion devices in Nokia World will not likely help... oh by the way I think NOK PR will enjoy this year's Nokia World: Appollo devices for high-end, next billion for low-end. Likely similar strategy for tablet........

It all sounds like great strategy on paper, isn't it?

Alrighty then... So let's go back to Nokia stock, shall we?

Nokia Sales Slump Puts Pressure on Elop to Consider Split

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...consider-split

From the article:
"The stock fell 7.2 percent to 3.04 euros in Helsinki, cutting the company’s value to 11.4 billion euros ($15 billion). Yesterday, the company dropped 14.5 percent, the steepest fall since May 2011. Espoo, Finland-based Nokia has lost almost 70 billion euros of market capitalization since Apple Inc. (AAPL) (AAPL) started shipping the iPhone in 2007.

"Morgan Stanley and Credit Suisse are among banks that cut their price estimates, while Grupo Santander and Societe Generale analysts lowered their ratings.

"Elop, 48, shifted to Microsoft’s Windows Phone system 14 months ago, after determining Nokia’s Symbian and Meego couldn’t keep up with Google Inc. (GOOG) (GOOG)’s Android system and the iPhone. Nokia reported an operating loss of about 3 percent of sales at the devices and services division last quarter, citing weak sales in India, the Middle East, Africa and China."

So much for those "emerging markets" that people keep claiming would keep growing despite US and European declines. CEO Derp is doing a BANG-UP job prepping this company for Microsoft, eh? Actually, it doesn't even look like the company will be saved, from what I read here--Nokia might even end up just selling patents to Microsoft just to survive. Well--you keep selling off your most valuable parts, what are you left with as a company? That's just my observation/opinion, though. What the hell do I know? I'm not an investment guy and I can't make recommendations but.. heh.. does it take one to see what's going on?
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
Splitting Nokia up is not the answer, and will only trash the company further.

The key thing is that Windows Phone is not aspirational and does not have the brand cachet that iOS has, and Android seems to have. People have Windows on their PC, and clearly do not want it on their phone.

As a symbian low-mid replacement it may have a future, but Elop needs to push the N9 worldwide as a iphone competitor, and bring onstream an N950 mk2 communicator type device (without the mistakes of the E7 - i.e. resolution, no microsd, no FMTX, no replaceable battery).

One of the things which confuses everyone is that all the cool stuff Nokia has released since Feb 11 and that the tech press has gone nuts about , has been obsolete stuff killed off by Elop - very confusing:
  • Nokia N9 - top end iphone competitor with cool innovative swipe
  • Nokia 808 pureview - Monster Cameraphone, but Symbian
  • MS Office integration - For Symbian
  • NFC support and accessories - not supported by Lumias

You could argue about including the N950 in that list as well, and sure there's other stuff. Meanwhile battery and wifi issues dog the Lumias, and everyone thinks Nokia is gonna go to the wall soon.

Elop made a big noise about meego being disruptive - well release the N9 worldwide and let it be disruptive.

My contract is up soon (3 months) and at the minute, it's looking like an SGSII or a Gnote for me - I would love an N9 but cannot buy one on a contract over here and don't have £400 to drop on one contract-free. Actually I'd prefer an N950, but the chances of one of them is zero! Certainly wont be another Nokia with the current lineup.

Nokia 770 (2gb) since Aug 2007
Nokia N800 (32gb) since Dec 2007
Nokia N810 (16gb) since Sep 2009
Nokia N900 (64gb) since Aug 2010 ______________________________

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Nokia might even end up just selling patents to Microsoft just to survive.
M$ don't need to buy them - Elop has already transferred thousands of NOKIA's patents to patent trolls like Mosaid Technologies and Sisvel where they are now being exploited to the benefit of M$, i.e. M$ are getting a cut of the licensing fees for these patented technologies even though they contributed nothing and it has cost them nothing. No doubt Elop will continue with these transfers unless and until he is ousted.

Taking control of NOKIA's IPR was undoubtedly the biggest part of the master plan when M$ got their Trojan Horse through the gates, that and stopping NOKIA's support of open source - we all know M$ regard that as a 'cancer'.

Steal the patents, kill MeeGo, kill Symbian, kill Qt, kill the sponsoring of open source projects and if NOKIA gets killed in the process too? - well that's just a bonus.

NOKIA only bought Symbian and open sourced it to try to prevent M$ gaining too much influence in the mobile market, did they really think one of their arch-enemies was suddenly going to be their saviour?

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Make N9 fluid and smooth, without stuttering or feeling like you are watching 1970s TV set and you have a chance to sell a cool device. Why cant NOKIA software engineers come up with a smooth product????? If N9 is the culmination of all the N series work, then something is amiss!!!

Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
Make N9 fluid and smooth, without stuttering or feeling like you are watching 1970s TV set and you have a chance to sell a cool device. Why cant NOKIA software engineers come up with a smooth product????? If N9 is the culmination of all the N series work, then something is amiss!!!
I'm really not sure that such a superficial improvement will matter for a company in such an unfortunate downward-dog position as Nokia--the worst is that they pretend they're not in a bad position and aren't doing anything that measurably and provably will move them into a positive position. They clearly went with the losing platform already and so pointing out any suggestions about improving the N9 is a sisyphean effort at best.

Last edited by danramos; 2012-04-15 at 21:18.

Samsung Reportedly Tops Nokia In Mobile Devices

"The king is dead, long live the king! Ok, Nokia is far from dead, though Samsung may have stolen its throne, crown, and possibly girlfriend (http://goo.gl/eOERB). Declining sales from Nokia in the feature-phone market, failure to successfully make a dent with their Windows Phones, and unheard of success by Samsung, seems to have been enough to move Samsung into the top spot in sales. The question is this: will Nokia continue its plunge into irrelevance? Samsung certainly looks like it's still in great shape." --someone we know on Google+

Closed Thread

Tags
goodbye nokia, investing, last quotes, lumiatard, samsung, specc=ericsson, stock, the elop flop, the flop elop, tizen