Originally Posted by polossatik View Post
I simply wanted to see if there are here still users for which the maps application routing option has a (limited) usefulness (like for me) and if so, then it would be nice if they add this here .
Well I'd love to be able to use my N800 or N810 as a satnav, but none of the available options are better (IMO) than Ovi Maps or Google Maps on my Nokia E72... even with the way smaller screen, fiddly controls and lower-powered hardware.

I still use my N810 for server admin, VNC and bluetooth HID duties (via BlueMaemo) but my N800 is just gathering dust atm... and it'd be perfect for a satnav/in-car entertainment device.

The Following User Says Thank You to skinny For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by polossatik View Post
I know there are other "map" options, thank you.

Personally I find the "Wayfinder/map" tool simply the most use full for MY current situation, seen I only use it for "emergency gps" (= I do not have an idea upfront what route I need and pulling data over 3G here is really expensive ).

The point of this thread was not to decide which tool was better, I simply wanted to see if there are here still users for which the maps application routing option has a (limited) usefulness (like for me) and if so, then it would be nice if they add this here .
Same here. I still use my n810 and although I know its no longer supported It would be great if I could use it as a voice navigation gps via wayfinder.

I was all set to get a dell streak and then I saw that Sony PSP phone running android. I've always wanted a phone with a d-pad for emu's that wasn't a failure like Ngadge.

maemo mapper is useless to me because gnuite.org is down and the jerk who ran it is now apparently too good to talk to anyone about how his program works. has anyone got a routing url for maemo mapper? or better yet ported modrana?

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
Originally Posted by stenny View Post
maemo mapper is useless to me because gnuite.org is down and the jerk who ran it is now apparently too good to talk to anyone about how his program works. has anyone got a routing url for maemo mapper? or better yet ported modrana?
You can find what you're looking for here:

http://fragostech.com/MaemoMapper/#routeupdate

I'd hardly call Costigan a jerk after all the the time he freely gave to Maermo Mapper. I for one was sorry to see him go when he a got a new job. However those that give freely of themselves also have the freedom to stop. I wish him success at his new job.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fragos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,101 | Thanked: 1,184 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Spain
Very complete and useful manual, indeed.

Posts: 131 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Spain
Maemomapper is very nice app, but my problem is I cantīt download/store differents/big areas in the repository to use as standalone maps when I havenīt Internet.

I tried to create some repositories but they never grow over a certain size, I think it was 0,5Mb (I could check)

Is there any other way to download big area maps for maemomapper?
I can do for nokia maps in s60 series for example, and I canīt for a powerful device

Originally Posted by fragos View Post
You can find what you're looking for here:

http://fragostech.com/MaemoMapper/#routeupdate

I'd hardly call Costigan a jerk after all the the time he freely gave to Maermo Mapper. I for one was sorry to see him go when he a got a new job. However those that give freely of themselves also have the freedom to stop. I wish him success at his new job.

Try storing your maps on the internal 2GB memory or to a removable SD card. The default storage location is limited. I pre-load maps at home while connected to the Internet via WiFi. You can increase your coverage by zooming way out to view more area or by manually moving your viewed location along the route you wish to cover.

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

Posts: 131 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Spain
Do you mean, you could store in repositories a city on a zoom level to show the name of streets (hundred of megas)?

Tomorrow I will check again, because I tried and I couldnīt but maybe I was doing anything wrong

Originally Posted by fragos View Post
Try storing your maps on the internal 2GB memory or to a removable SD card. The default storage location is limited. I pre-load maps at home while connected to the Internet via WiFi. You can increase your coverage by zooming way out to view more area or by manually moving your viewed location along the route you wish to cover.

Any map you view with Maemo Mapper is stored on your tablet in the location designated in the "Cache DB" field in the "Manage Repositories" window.

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

Posts: 139 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ mid gulf coast florida
Originally Posted by daperezg View Post
Do you mean, you could store in repositories a city on a zoom level to show the name of streets (hundred of megas)?

Tomorrow I will check again, because I tried and I couldnīt but maybe I was doing anything wrong
The only thing I can think of is that you are trying to use google maps....those don't work well with maemomapper anymore.

Check this discussion to find different repos to try.

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ies#post844369

Have fun