Posts: 35 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Perth, WA, Australia
Hey folks. The other day i has a motorcycle lesson, and it started raining. Really crazy rain. And i had my phone in my pocket.

I was going to pull the covers off and air it out, but it still worked fine as far as i could tell, and there didn't look like there was any water inside. However i didn't check the camera until today, and i've discovered that the colours are messed up now. There is blue where there should be red.

Um. So yeah. Any advice? haha.

Rice, lots of it

The Following User Says Thank You to Soulaxe For This Useful Post:
I really didn't believe you, but then i saw this video. I suppose it's worth a shot! haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y030Q...feature=relmfu

Also, using silicon gel balls (one from camera shop, not sex one), seems to be much more effective solution:

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...7&postcount=32
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Ah that would make sense, but i don't have silicon balls. I do have rice, though! We'll see if it works tomorrow. Thanks!

Posts: 4,118 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
And, of course, unplug the battery as long as You assume there is still humidity !

I have had multiple devices dropped in the water by accident. Just fill up a bowl with a large amount of rice, stuff your device in it and leave it there for a few days.. got some of my devices up to speed again.

the biggest problem however, is it could rust (think its rust in english im not sure). Rust however, will sooner or later, kill it.. unfortunately

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
The best solution is to open the slider, remove cover, sim card, microSD card, battery as soon as you can.

Leave something warm and dry for 2 to 3 days to slowly dry out, but the important thing is to remove all power ASAP.

The gadget show did a test of the various theories a while ago, and just leaving it to dry was the best. Rice and silicon don't add anything, but can remove a bit of moisture from the atmosphere. Sure it'll either be on youtube or the gadget show website itself.

Nokia 770 (2gb) since Aug 2007
Nokia N800 (32gb) since Dec 2007
Nokia N810 (16gb) since Sep 2009
Nokia N900 (64gb) since Aug 2010 ______________________________

Banned | Posts: 778 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on Jun 2010
why did you finger it?

The best solution IMO is to disassemble it (not only remove cover, battery etc) as far as one is able to, then, put into silicon gel and seal in airtight container (was mentioned in link I provided). This way, silicon gel won't reduce atmosphere humidity (due to airtight container), but suck it from N900 parts (also through air between silicon gel and N900 - this way, N900 dries faster, little amount of air in airtight bag/container act as humidity transport).

Don't listen to gadget websites - they don't have a clue, Without using airtight container, what they expect, if not reducing room atmosphere humidity? :/

/Estel

// Edit

It's good practice to have some silicon gel just in case - it's not expensive, and after being used, it can be "regenerated" by putting it into 120 C degrees (oven) for 2-3 hours.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2011-11-05 at 14:36.

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post: