Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by volt View Post
Nobody is forcing you to buy a maemo phone. If you trash your Iphone with a bad install of something, you have the same problem.
I don't get where you got from any part of my statement that somebody is forcing me to buy anything. Allow me to clarify even further...

Maemo hasn't gotten its stuff together in terms of a internet tablet that I whip out from time to time in a lot of regards... it's not a consumer friendly experience since it requires more knowledge than just "plug it in".

And I'm not forced to buy anything. And a bad iPhone install, two iPhones later and that's not happened. A 770 and N810, I've had a bad reflash and a machine that just stopped working for no reason, no error given.

And besides, I've already stated that the iPhone isn't perfect. But my trust for Maemo's repository isn't there at all - remember when it all went down for almost a week, or when Canola was released it went down hard... and what about Ovi, it went down way too easily too. Nokia has not shown it can allocate the proper resources to it's online offerings that become popular nor do they continue to support them for long.

Nokia having a Maemo phone available doesn't mean you have to stop using your Nokia tablet.
This is what we'd Southerners would call "common sense". But having a phone in a product that I do enjoy, would like to have upgraded, and yet is not going to replace my phone ability to sync up to where I've purchased music, or my contacts, or even my e-mails... it's already fighting a hard battle for a purchase. Nokia's making it even harder. Convergence shouldn't be happening unless it's able to provide something I already use.

And it doesn't. No part of what Nokia offers does what my last three phones did. My tablet experience was vastly different than my phones though. There's a difference. My internet tablet gave me a good screen while away from my desktop. My phone's browsing just plain sucks. So perhaps that's one plus for this frankenstein.

p@marketing has already told us they want to stop associating the word "tablet" with their Maemo products. This may or may not mean that they won't make more of the larger ones. Shame if they don't. But I don't see a problem with there being Maemo phones on the market.
Here's where I'm likely to be more blunt than I should... p@marketing is out of touch.

There, I said it.

Even the Palm Pre has iTunes sync. Maemo... it's nowhere (yet). Can it connect to my Outlook and siphon my calendar? Perhaps not yet. Are there updated versions of Skype, Gizmo, even video chat that works out of the box and have a simplified one-touch, no need to add catalogs installs? If my Maemo experience over the last 2+ years have anything to do with that part... no, it doesn't, and it won't until Harmattan. The lack of support on these devices shows me that I'm good for one release, one update... and end of product life.

I don't mind having a phone that works as it should, but to tie in Maemo and it's abilities - dude, it's a community supported item, not Nokia supported as it stands... then I don't want it in my phone. I actually use my phone for business. I don't use my tablet for business (much).

Simply put, don't put a phone out unless you can show reliably that you've worked out the quirks and bugs that we've all been through in Maemo just to get stuff installed. It does not make for a proper consumer experience. It makes for an enthusiast experience - thus, look at this site. Consumers are SCARED of the tablets - read: the average consumer, not a savvy consumer or geek.

I don't want to be a geek on my phone too. Not unless it was hella stable and won't have a browser that crashes for no reason. Nor the rest of my aforementioned reasons.

Fix Maemo, release a proper tablet that starts the convergence, THEN convince the consumer. Right now, I'm personally not convinced this will work out of box for the average Joe-Blow consumer. Thus, I see a failure in it's approach.

Last edited by gerbick; 2009-06-04 at 18:23.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Bobbe View Post
He pronounces "May-mo". Oh, infidel!
At least all maemo's that I heard were pronounced finnish way which is like it was "decided" in thread you linked, not may-mo.

Originally Posted by Bobbe View Post
At €600, just not gonna happen.

Now imagine if it shipped for $399, with a nice cd with Nokia Software for easily (really EASILY) syncing media with Windows, Linux, Mac
What do you get for $399 without a subscription today? On my market, a Nokia 5800. I think it's fair to say that it won't cost the same as the Nokia 5800.

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
i assume all you write applies to unDUN phones; that's some sort of hack anyway.
The first step on my step list was a hack to make it work on phones that "has evolved beyond DUN".

Originally Posted by wazd View Post
Brand new leaked photo of N900. It's a phone!
I think that was a beautifully done mockup. Much unlike the "render" this thread started with.

I believe that private persons that make and publish mockups like that, does indeed influence future designs.

Also, I think I am part responsible for weaving ideas about what this may be and why that's a good or not thing, way beyond the few and small clues that Nokia has given us :P

Last edited by volt; 2009-06-04 at 20:44.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I don't get where you got from any part of my statement that somebody is forcing me to buy anything.
(...)
My tablet experience was vastly different than my phones though. There's a difference. My internet tablet gave me a good screen while away from my desktop.
I merely stated the fact that noone forced you to buy it, I did not imply that you had said that anyone were forcing you to buy it. You were however sounding like this ment the end for a platform (for you) while I don't see a reason why it needs to be so. This seems to be a product unrelated to your tablet upgrade plan. When iPple created the iPod touch, it didn't mean people had to give up on their iPhones. It may even be that not all iPhone owners bought an iPod touch.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
p@marketing is out of touch.

(...) iTunes sync. (...) Outlook and siphon (...) Skype, Gizmo, even video chat
- I hope the marketing department doesn't decide on what features goes into the machine. I would hope R&D had something to do with it.

- How many WiFi phones are there with iTunes, outlook, siphon sync, Skype, Gizmo and video chat? That has a good web browser on top?

It's one thing to see what features the tablet doesn't have. The lack of Java should be far higher on the list. But as a Maemo phone, the N900 should be highly competative to top end phones.

The things the tablet lacks the most sorely are things phones are better at. And now it seems Nokia is doing a job to make this more like a phone? I would think that means more than adding a 3G chip.

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
this may give the wrong impression to readers here.

if done the way it was intended to work (bluetooth DUN), there is not one single step necessary after the initial pairing. you pull out you tablet and start surfing.

i assume all you write applies to unDUN phones; that's some sort of hack anyway.
Read the rest of what was said on the topic. It is only 100% transparent if you're careless about security...

(and my phone was definitely a DUN phone... it was a Nokia E61i, at the time)

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Originally Posted by volt View Post
I merely stated the fact that noone forced you to buy it, I did not imply that you had said that anyone were forcing you to buy it. You were however sounding like this ment the end for a platform (for you) while I don't see a reason why it needs to be so. This seems to be a product unrelated to your tablet upgrade plan. When iPple created the iPod touch, it didn't mean people had to give up on their iPhones. It may even be that not all iPhone owners bought an iPod touch.
If Nokia only produces a Maemo phone, it is the end of the platform for me. It is likely to be far too expensive compared to the other available options, particularly when factoring in the cost of service.

I doubt that many (only a very few) iPhone owners bought an iTouch. Why would they? Their iPhone already does everything the iTouch does and more. It would be a downgrade. Perhaps some iTouch owners eventually UPgraded to an iPhone, probably far more than people that had an iPhone, then bought an iTouch. Kinda of make sense, get them hooked on the tablet, then upgrade to the phone. Not get hooked on the phone, then downgrade to the tablet.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Are you guys still arguing?

YARR!
}:^)~
CAPT'N

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
Are you guys still arguing?

YARR!
}:^)~
CAPT'N
I know you are, but what am I?

Originally Posted by wazd View Post
Brand new leaked photo of N900. It's a phone!
Phone or not... you answered my most pressing question: Would I be able to run Other Maemo Weather on the dang thing!

Last edited by YoDude; 2009-06-04 at 23:17.

Tags
disapointed by nokia, dpad, maemo phone, my tablet is crying, n900, nokia gets it wrong, openmoko, rover, rx-51, rx-71 needed, screen size, smartphone, t-mobile