Posts: 49 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Manchester
Originally Posted by The Wizard of Huz View Post
I think Elop is to afraid of the N9/50. Afraid that it will be too good. Afraid that it will show the world how capable and good Harmattan is. That the blogosphere and the world will see the N9/50 and not the W7 device as the zenith of what is Nokia is capable of. Afraid that it will get all the attention and steal the light from W7 devices which will be released a few months after Harmatten device. It will show the world that W7 is too much behind and that the better strategy will be to push Meego.
..really depressing mood on this thread today isnt it?

In ideal world (which we know does not exist) i would like to have WP as a main smartphone platform (as Elop said himself...let him have his baby) S40 as 3rd world mobile...and nice posh high-end devices running Meego.

Think Elop doesnt see Meego as powerful and solid platform to hold this position, taking W7 is simply playing safe....chicken

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to paweltrzpis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by morbid View Post
How possible is it that Nokia is releasing the consumer harmatten device to do a public test of new hardware technology that will be in the upcoming WP7 device?
I'm almost sure that this is the plan - in general,l not only with the "N9(50)". From what understood, the NoWin-deal gives Microsoft access to Nokias patents. So what I think will happen is:

Nokia develops new technologies and uses MeeGo or some internal variation to test them. These devices may or may not be sold; maybe MeeGo will exist only in Nokias labs to power prototypes.

If the hardware technologies are good enough for the mainstream, Microsoft will develop the necessary additions to support these technologies in one of the following WP-versions. Maybe not the next one, but an upcoming one.

So yes, I'm sure whatever revolutionary new hardware we'll see in the Harmattan device, eventually WP will have it, too.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by paweltrzpis View Post
..really depressing mood on this thread today isnt it?

In ideal world (which we know does not exist) i would like to have WP as a main smartphone platform (as Elop said himself...let him have his baby) S40 as 3rd world mobile...and nice posh high-end devices running Meego.

Think Elop doesnt see Meego as powerful and solid platform to hold this position, taking W7 is simply playing safe....chicken
My friend, I have met reasonable number of people holding positions such as his, but in smaller entities.

Believe me, their mindset is completely unlike yours or mine.

When I saw him speaking at Uplinq, my first impression compared was: what a slimy guy.

I would have disliked him, even if I did not know what he has done to Nokia (engineering staff to be more precise).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to momcilo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
I really wonder if Elop gets fed with any info / reactions that are going on in this thread. There are many smart and influential people here who can easily turn their backs completely on Nokia which will easily affect/detract other people around them at an exponential level.

I can only assume he knows everything about what the people in the real world is thinking including us. But he now doesn't want to go back on his WP7 decision which he so hastely made without knowing all about the potential of Nokia's Harmattan device. Maybe he now realises its potential but can't do anything about it so he might decide to kill it "for now" and just go with his iniital WP7 decision to see if it unfolds to answer his prayers.

It's hardly ever about us anyways. It's about the company, share prices, market share, brand image and corporate relationships. Elop already threw away the partnership with Intel and they are now not in good sides with eachother. Last thing Elop wants to do is the same with Microsoft right now. The cup of water has already been knocked over. All he can try to do is mop it up and make the most of it.

The Following User Says Thank You to jakiman For This Useful Post:
You should see the positive side of using wp7 as the primary smartphone platform. Nokia does not need to spend billions to push meego to mid to low-end hardware, they can fully concentrate on using it for high-end hardware, tablets, netbooks etc.

I can imagine that the people behind meego are actually relieved that they can concentrate fully on creating the next big thing. Remember that nobody of us knows what is going on behind the scenes.

Whatever. Bottomline, don't lose hope!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rugoz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
I don't know why it's not possible for such a big company like Nokia to have Series40 for phones, WP7 for low feature "smartphones" and MeeGo for hi-featured and expensive mobile devices.
  • LG has Android and Windows Phone
  • Samsung has Android and Windows Phone

They are all betting their horse on different systems. But I ask why?

Only the companies with their own system betting on just a single system like BlackBerry, HP (WebOS) or Apple. And even Samsung is developing their own system called Bada.
I ask why does they need this effort if they are earning so much money with their successful Android Devices?

Any Ideas?

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
If some Nokia people ever read this:

Here is my decision:

I give you upto end of July to announce the damn Harmattan device. If it isnt well then I will go for samsung galaxy s II or Sony Ericsson Xperia Pro. And hhope I can ripout Android and running Meego+Qt instead.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
B/c the Android Bubble will burst much sooner than the 10 years + it took for the Symbian Bubble to burst, so it makes sense to keep one foot in all camps to make any transition easy when a future disruption arrives in whatever form it takes.

BTW 14 days left until privacy gets lifted by FCC on RM680 pictures & Manuals

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NvyUs For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Helmuth View Post
I don't know why it's not possible for such a big company like Nokia to have Series40 for phones, WP7 for low feature "smartphones" and MeeGo for hi-featured and expensive mobile devices.
  • LG has Android and Windows Phone
  • Samsung has Android and Windows Phone

They are all betting their horse on different systems. But I ask why?

Only the companies with their own system betting on just a single system like BlackBerry, HP (WebOS) or Apple. And even Samsung is developing their own system called Bada.
I ask why does they need this effort if they are earning so much money with their successful Android Devices?

Any Ideas?
Basically they don't trust their software supplier. If they put everything on one OS then the OS maker gets too much power.The hardware manufacturors then don't have control anymore about their devices roadmap.
Like now is happening with Android. The latest Android is only available to device makers who play nice with Google ( see also why Motorola had to stop using Skyhook). The other manufacturers have to wait. That is how "open source" works @ Google.
Motorola M3688 → Ericsson R320 → Siemens S40 → Motorola V60c → Palm Treo 650 → Blackberry 9000 → Nokia N900 → HP Pre 3 → Nokia N900 → Nokia N9 → Nokia N900 → Nokia 808 → Blackberry Z10 → Blackberry Passport

Only dead fish swim with the stream.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to The Wizard of Huz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by nikrohr View Post
Better?
Very close now.
- The bezel on left/right side of LCD is a bit wider.
(LCD is narrower and is wider is aspect ratio like the E7)
- Top bezel above the LCD but still on the glass has NOKIA written on it.
(basically, top and bottom is similar in length - symmetrical)
- Camera is even more in the bottom right corner of the glass front. It is also a circle.
- There is a tiny (less than 1mm) gap between the outer edge of glass and the body.
(the outer edge of glass also has a rounded off edge and looks like it sticks out a little bit above the outer body.
- On the right long-side starting from top, there are 2 visible protruded silver-colored buttons
1 long up/down button (split in half by a mnute gap) and another single rectangular (half the length of the volume rocker) button about 1cm below it.
- I don't know how the back looks..

Last edited by jakiman; 2011-06-09 at 23:19.

The Following User Says Thank You to jakiman For This Useful Post:

Tags
duke nukem4eva, epic!, harmattan, n-950, nokia diamond, non-believers, rm680, wasteland