Posts: 138 | Thanked: 375 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Berlin
I have started a small tool to import SMS messages from my N900's el-v1.db into tracker using libcommhistory.

There is an annoying bug remaining:
  • Imported messages appear in the wrong order in their respective groups. First all outgoing messages are shown in chronological order. The incoming messages are shown also in chronological order, but all of them after the outgoing ones.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pH5 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 249 | Thanked: 277 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Brighton, UK
I await the code from your utility with interest...without a N950 I can't really add support for tracker to my harmatten-based event log syncing utility. Good examples do help though...

Originally Posted by itpastorn View Post
Ooops! I have unwillingly lied to you all. I did not check thoroughly. Messages have not been transfered, only a list of everyone I've had a conversation with...
Still it is very odd that Nokia Suite recognizes your N9 as it does not work for everyone else. Unless you lied about that too

Fixed the sorting issue. Now the only thing wrong with my own el-v1.db import is that vCard messages turn up empty.

If you'd like to help test this (no guarantees, make backups!), install the attached Debian package, copy your el-v1.db to the N9/N950, open the terminal and enter:
Code:
~ $ mff /home/user/MyDocs/el-v1.db
(or wherever you've put the database). Feedback is very much welcome.

Originally Posted by mr_jrt View Post
I await the code from your utility with interest...without a N950 I can't really add support for tracker to my harmatten-based event log syncing utility. Good examples do help though...
Will that utility support importing from N900? Anything available online yet? I'm looking forward to it.
Btw, for mff I took commhistory-tool as an example.
Attached Files
File Type: deb mff_0.0.1_armel.deb (15.7 KB, 365 views)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pH5 For This Useful Post:
Wow, great. I have a complete backup of my old N900, can I extract the database from that?

Originally Posted by chrisp7 View Post
Wow, great. I have a complete backup of my old N900, can I extract the database from that?
Yes, you should be able to extract it from any backup that includes communication & calendar:
  • comm_and_cal.zip contains a file Root/home/user/.rtcomm-eventlogger/backup.tgz
  • backup.tgz contains el-v1.db

Posts: 249 | Thanked: 277 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Brighton, UK
Originally Posted by pH5 View Post
Will that utility support importing from N900? Anything available online yet? I'm looking forward to it.
It currently is in somewhat of an alpha state, so is hidden in the user/hidden category (ie. it won't appear in the app manager). It imports/exports SMSes from VMG files, and call logs from CSV files (as workarounds for the fact that there are no libraries for processing the binary Symbian DB format, so it's too complex to deal with right now).

The garage page is: https://garage.maemo.org/projects/qwerkisync/
...and the package page is: http://maemo.org/packages/view/qwerkisync/

...it does all sorts of other things as well (reindexes all the events so they're in the right order, round-robin backs up the DB before it starts, handles VCards in SMSes, and so on for example).

WARNING: I use it on my live phone, but I know exactly how it works. I'd make sure you have backups of your DB first (though as I say, it makes some that you should be able to restore from manually).

...I'm currently tweaking the export so it doesn't wipe the output directory first, then I'm moving onto fMMS import/export (and documenting properly now the code structure is fairly stable).

In theory porting it to Harmatten should be as easy as plugging in the right DB backends....but that's not a priority for me right now as I don't have anything to test with

EDIT:
The other major caveat you should be aware of is that it "massages" all phone numbers into the international format, so they match up with the number supplied when a SMS is received (which is the one I use for my contacts). As there's no DB for phone country codes on the device that I've found, +44 (UK) is currently hard coded in as I've not gotten around to the persistent config options yet, nor including such a lookup table. If this is a problem, let me know and I'll see what I can get working quickly for anyone overseas.

...also, there's no way of knowing when a call is a voicemail call in the Symbian event log...so it just matches against a list of supplied numbers and then it'll treat the calls as the correct voicemail call event type. I only have my provider's voicemail number in the currently hard-coded list

Last edited by mr_jrt; 2011-10-28 at 00:11.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mr_jrt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pH5 View Post
Fixed the sorting issue. Now the only thing wrong with my own el-v1.db import is that vCard messages turn up empty.

If you'd like to help test this (no guarantees, make backups!), install the attached Debian package, copy your el-v1.db to the N9/N950, open the terminal and enter:
Code:
~ $ mff /home/user/MyDocs/el-v1.db
(or wherever you've put the database). Feedback is very much welcome.

How should that process take? My N9 now says "Committing SMS changes", has been sitting there for ~10 minutes?
Nothing seem to be happening though....

Originally Posted by Laamane View Post
How should that process take? My N9 now says "Committing SMS changes", has been sitting there for ~10 minutes?
Nothing seem to be happening though....
It seems mff is using the old Pre-PR1.2 sqlite layout.

What mff uses now:
Code:
query.exec("SELECT start_time,end_time,is_read,remote_uid,free_text,group_uid,outgoing FROM Events WHERE service_id=3 AND event_type_id=7 ORDER BY group_uid,start_time");
What it SHOULD be:
Code:
query.exec("SELECT start_time,end_time,is_read,remote_uid,free_text,group_uid,outgoing FROM Events WHERE service_id=3 AND (event_type_id=7 OR event_type_id=11) ORDER BY group_uid,start_time");
I changed this code, repackaged the deb, and it worked fine.

Hi,

Where to get latest version in deb file ?