Notices

Hi,

is there any chance, the non-paid version gets the updates too? Or is my nokia store just messed up? Paid version is: 1.4.2, non-paid is still 1.3.5.

edit: + is there anywhere a tutorial on how to pack, unpack, install etc - widgets to Hydra? I cant get it to work with opera widgets. When i click on "download anyway" i get a .nex file, dont know what to do

Last edited by schokopudding; 2013-07-08 at 16:44.

Originally Posted by schokopudding View Post
Hi,

is there any chance, the non-paid version gets the updates too? Or is my nokia store just messed up? Paid version is: 1.4.2, non-paid is still 1.3.5.

edit: + is there anywhere a tutorial on how to pack, unpack, install etc - widgets to Hydra? I cant get it to work with opera widgets. When i click on "download anyway" i get a .nex file, dont know what to do
I planned to release 1.4.2 as a free version but I discovered a bug that I wanted to fix before that, so I will most likely release 1.4.3 almost simultaneously for free and paid versions.

I haven't written any tutorials yet, but it might be a good idea.

As for Opera widgets, unfortunately Opera has discontinued it's product line and a month or two ago they also took down the widgets.opera.com site that was hosting the user published widgets. No idea if they are still available from somewhere. They should be in .wgt format. That .nex is an entirely different file format.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sviox For This Useful Post:
Posts: 74 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Norway
Picked up the PRO version and having a good time trying out the Firefox and Tizen widgets.

Installed Minimalist from the Firefox page link

Says on the page that

- Offline functionality using HTML5 client local storage and app cache
But the lists reset everytime i close it. Any tips? Is it just this one that is codded poorly? Could i edit something myself? didn't see it mentioned (not storing data in Hydra that is).

edit:
Have tested a few other applications, like Book Note, also do not store any data locally after closing the widget.

Maybe in the next update keep up the great work

Last edited by electristan; 2013-07-10 at 12:16. Reason: more information

Originally Posted by electristan View Post
Picked up the PRO version and having a good time trying out the Firefox and Tizen widgets.

Installed Minimalist from the Firefox page link

Says on the page that

But the lists reset everytime i close it. Any tips? Is it just this one that is codded poorly? Could i edit something myself? didn't see it mentioned (not storing data in Hydra that is).

edit:
Have tested a few other applications, like Book Note, also do not store any data locally after closing the widget.

Maybe in the next update keep up the great work
Hello and thank you for supporting development of Hydra. The goal of Hydra is to support all APIs and functionalities provided by the 'bigger players', but unfortunately we're still a few steps behind.

As for storage support, Hydra currently supports widget preferences and cookies which are the most common ways of implementing offline storage accessible to widgets. HTML5 local storage and app cache are currently not supported.

I've been planning on adding support for local storage for a long time and it should actually be quite straightforwards. I'll see what I can do about this for the next version (no promises yet though!).

On the other hand, app cache basically only caches remote files to save bandwidth and should not be mandatory for any app to function normally. So implementing that is quite low in the long list of things to do

Thanks for the reply, look forward to seeing what's next for this.

Local storage (and possibly Web SQL) up and running for next version.

The biggest technical change however, is that I've changed the way scrolling works. Previously I used a native container that was the size of the web application's top level frame. Scrolling merely moved the control on screen so that a suitable portion of the web page was shown. This provided very smooth scrolling as all the content was always pre-rendered. The problem with this approach was that some apps think the whole page is always visible. This caused a number of issues you may have seen:
- Apps using the 'infinite scroll' design pattern might get stuck infinitely loading more content
- Apps using fixed position navbars are statically stuck at the top/bottom of the page instead of being redrawn when view is scrolled

I've changed the scrolling so that the web container control size matches the physical size of the container on screen (as opposed to frame size) and scrolling actually scrolls the web content so that only the visible part is rendered. This might speed up initial rendering slightly, but when scrolling, this unfortunately shows as less smooth scrolling. Anyhow, I think the gained compatibility is more important.

I'm also thinking about making the old scroll method an option that can be used. But maybe for a later version...

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sviox For This Useful Post:
Sounds like a great update, cant wait

It's taking some time to release the next version but I'll try to make up for it with a long list of improvements:
* Implemented support for HTML5 Web Storage (local and session)
* Implemented support for HTML5 Web SQL database
* Implemented support for HTML5 Application Cache
* Implemented support for IndexedDB using IndexedDB Polyfill library
* Implemented navigation bar support for error page shown on top level frame
* Implemented support for Apple specific web app meta tags that control color theme and nav bar visibility
* Added widget size to details view
* Added option to reset a widget to details view menu
* Changed WAC webview header to act as a shortcut to page menu
* Changed Symbian WRT toolbar behavior to automatically hide empty options menu and exit softkey
* Changed Symbian WRT viewport size to match common S60 device resolution of 360x640 (nHD)
* Changed Symbian WRT magnify functionality to use 1.7x zooming that provides landscape content width equal to older 5th edition devices
* Fixed scroll position detection used by some web apps
* Fixed HTML error page showing full path to local file instead of using widget URI scheme
* Fixed Cordova plugins being readded to main frame when loading subframes
* Fixed installing Firefox OS apps using redirected URL for manifest file
* Fixed memory leak with common JavaScript interface not being deleted after moving to another URL

The list is still subject to change but that has been implemented so far.

Also, since Nokia HERE Maps is no longer available from the Marketplace (apparently it comes preinstalled so there is no need to install it separately), the next version of feature demo widget will contain a button to demonstrate installation of web apps from another web app, using this fine application as an example

Last edited by sviox; 2013-07-31 at 12:14. Reason: Typo

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to sviox For This Useful Post:
Fixed a nasty crasher that randomly occurred right after uninstalling an app. Any developers following this? Do try to find the bug in this simplified piece of code:

void DetailsPage:nUninstallClicked(){
WidgetManager::instance()->uninstallWidget( m_widgetBaseName );
}

And the signature of the called method is:
virtual void uninstallWidget( const QString& widgetBaseName, bool upgradeMode = false );

I'll give you a hint: DetailsPage is closed (and later, asynchronously deleted after a simple ~200ms back animation) within uninstallWidget() context and the segmentation fault occurred before leaving the method and more exactly within a QString::compare() call.

Anyone? It's quite obvious when written like this but took a good while to locate with all the rest of the code around

The Following User Says Thank You to sviox For This Useful Post:
Finally, PRO version of 1.4.3 is now submitted to Nokia Store and should be available within some days! Unless anything urgent emerges, vanilla version will follow soon after.