hey all,
let me begin by saying my n900 is in an unusable state:
long story short it came on a boat ride and now the digitizer is completely buggered...the screen still shows its image but i cannot press anything.

so ive got a problem that i need help fixing. i need to backup my phone using the backup app (or other) but cannot interact with phone except for keyboard. ive been able to open up xterm and even type the command to install x11vnc inorder to control the phone via computer but the wifi is not connected on the phone and will not automatically connect as xterm needs it, it seems like i need to open say the web app and then xterm so it can install vnc.

is there any way i can connect to wifi via xterm, or is there any way to open apps on the phone via xterm?
is it possible a sccreen recalibration will do the trick, and if so how could i do that without being able to bring up the menu?
will a hard reset help?

thanks for your help all. i will be putting it into nokia to be fixed but would love the backup before that

NP bro. Open xterm and type in this mutha:

Code:
dbus-send --system --type=method_call --dest=com.nokia.icd /com/nokia/icd com.nokia.icd.connect string:"[ANY]" uint32:0 | echo ""
That will get you online. From there you can either try and install backup menu or just use x11vnc to pull stuff off the device.

Ok?

much appreciated. how would i go about doing the standard backup via xterm?

by the way, i just went to put that in xterm and i cannot put in the "[]" characters because they require the sym menu and touch selection

any other ideas?

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
Check out this thread.

maybe copying a deb of backupmenu onto a sd card, or a script for going online and install what you need

Another option for backing it up is via rsync, and you cen definitely do that without using the touchscreen:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=59328

Just be aware that you'll have a bit less free rootfs space after restoring (even if you do everything correctly) due to some files being de-sparsed.

Last edited by GameboyRMH; 2011-02-17 at 13:01.

Posts: 138 | Thanked: 375 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Berlin
Originally Posted by sherman91 View Post
by the way, i just went to put that in xterm and i cannot put in the "[]" characters because they require the sym menu and touch selection

any other ideas?
Let $(echo -e ...) evaluate ASCII codes:
Code:
$(echo -e dbus-send --system --type=method_call --dest=com.nokia.icd /com/nokia/icd com.nokia.icd.connect string:"\x5bANY\x5d" uint32:0)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pH5 For This Useful Post: