Poll: What advanced text entry method(s) would you like to see on Sailfish?
Poll Options
What advanced text entry method(s) would you like to see on Sailfish?

Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 2,383 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
Yeah well, a reasonable man would think that would prevent the European Patent office from granting software patents, yes?

EP1955134 - SYSTEM AND METHOD FOR CONTINUOUS STROKE WORD-BASED TEXT INPUT

Thanks to me you can no longer feign ignorance of the patent in court.
Thats not granted yet, still in examiniation phase.

Interesting reading:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propose...ions#Aftermath

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Softwar...ent_Convention
Disclaimer: all my posts in this forum are personal trolling and I never post in any official capacity on behalf of any company.

Last edited by rainisto; 2014-07-04 at 20:49.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rainisto For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by rainisto View Post
Thats not granted yet, still in examiniation phase.
Actually it was granted early February this year, the database is just not updated yet.

And from the same company you have several other approved EPO patents that would be enough to create nightmares to any developer who has ever written a single line of UI code.

That's the way I would define how much crooked the entire worldwide situation of patents and copyright is -- nightmarish.

But I'm not writing all of this just to scare eber42, even if that would make me "a partner to a conspiracy to willfully infringe on intellectual property" or "contributory infringement" or whatever they call it these days.

Every single line of code that I've ever written violates several patents. We in EU have no right to be smugly in any way because we're not that better from the US.

Your only defense is that no one cares.

Please remember this during next election time.

Last edited by javispedro; 2014-07-04 at 22:26.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
I highly doubt Swype would even care about this

The Following User Says Thank You to mariusmssj For This Useful Post:
Release the damn swype

Posts: 86 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Paris / France
For now i have not got enough information to make a basic risk analysis, so the release is now on hold. Any help on this topic will be appreciated. Hope this will be sorted out quickly.

I understand showing a teaser and not releasing after may be frustrating.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to eber42 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by eber42 View Post
For now i have not got enough information to make a basic risk analysis, so the release is now on hold. Any help on this topic will be appreciated. Hope this will be sorted out quickly.

I understand showing a teaser and not releasing after may be frustrating.
'Safe' way for initial release would be just uploading the source tarball to TPB, whoever feels risky/safe enough can put it on github(or after the recent qualcomm fiasco any alternative deemed safer). Anonymous upload to mega could also work (use at least 7 proxies). Both should keep you safe, as you wouldn't be distributing it, some damned hackers stole your code and now noone is buying swype on Jolla (can prepare you fake NFO for tpb if interested)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 738 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Berlin
Is there really a license problem? I mean, there are also SwiftKey and Google Keyboard! Pay all Lizensen to swype/nuance?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cvp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
OK so I emailed Swype themselves and asked if I can do it. I will let you know once I got the answer

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to mariusmssj For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Originally Posted by mariusmssj View Post
OK so I emailed Swype themselves and asked if I can do it. I will let you know once I got the answer
Why do you guys actually "waking up sleeping dogs"?...

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
It's nice to ask.

And I do stand by my previous point; there's absolutely nothing a holder of a patent can do if you have a cleanroom implementation of a SW block or a feature and you are not making money with it.

The purpose of holding a patent on something is that it gives you the right to sell licenses for commercial use of the patent.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:

Tags
bettertxtentry, huntnpeck sucks, okboard, sailfish, swype