Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
I think it's pretty clear now that what we could all agree on is that Nokia should make at least 2 new devices: The phone-oriented, uber-smartphone all-in-one device (which is what we believe the "N900") is, and a no-phone, tablet-like device (it could have room for the slightly larger screen, and should be way cheaper too). Approaching the form factor from two different sides as it were.

Exactly! I fully agree and I think thats the direction in which the Market segments will be split, given the rumors of an Apple Tablet, then Android being ported too. So it may be a bigger device, bigger than what we previously thought.

I cant wait for the phone....everyone is churning out phones left right and center, I really hope this is the quiet before a storm.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
How disappointed will some be if it turns out the N900 will not be shipped as a conventional voice phone?

HSPA data may be all the thing is capable of... out of the box . I could see a service provider like T-Mo offering data only subsidies for something like this on worldwide scale.

Didn't Sprint plan to do the same with the N810 WiMAX before Nokia pulled the plug?

The Following User Says Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
MOVE! ... Just using some of your logic from the following post.
*laugh* my own words used against me... oh the humanity!

Originally Posted by zfarooq View Post
Exactly! I fully agree and I think thats the direction in which the Market segments will be split, given the rumors of an Apple Tablet, then Android being ported too. So it may be a bigger device, bigger than what we previously thought.

I cant wait for the phone....everyone is churning out phones left right and center, I really hope this is the quiet before a storm.
for me, I'd like to see 3 devices...

1) phone (prefer 4.1" touch screen, but 3.x" is acceptable, physical thumb keyboard is a must)
2) pocketable tablet (4-5" touch screen is a must)
3) nonpocketable tablet (7-10" screen, pref. 9"... pref. convertible tablet netbook, but ultimately the physical kbd is optional for me on this one as long as it has a USB host port for a kvm and/or usb keyboard ... would be a good counterpart to the kindle, netbooks, and Apple's rumored device)

I didn't put that a physical thumb keyboard is a must on #2, though, because I wont be buying a non-phone pocketable.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to johnkzin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
for me, I'd like to see 3 devices...

1) phone (prefer 4.1" touch screen, but 3.x" is acceptable, physical thumb keyboard is a must)
2) pocketable tablet (4-5" touch screen is a must)
3) nonpocketable tablet (7-10" screen, pref. 9"... pref. convertible tablet netbook, but ultimately the physical kbd is optional for me on this one as long as it has a USB host port for a kvm and/or usb keyboard ... would be a good counterpart to the kindle, netbooks, and Apple's rumored device)

I didn't put that a physical thumb keyboard is a must on #2, though, because I wont be buying a non-phone pocketable.
I like 3) there. Someone is bound to come out with a color Kindle-like thing that can also play movies. I think that the movie aspect would make a lot of people forget about that e-ink stuff. And you know the company that should do it? Netflix has enough money...

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
I think it's pretty clear now that what we could all agree on is that Nokia should make at least 2 new devices
Absolutely.

Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
How disappointed will some be if it turns out the N900 will not be shipped as a conventional voice phone?

HSPA data may be all the thing is capable of... out of the box .
Well... Then I'd expect a much lower price. And it would have to bring something new to the table. Like Java :B

I don't think it would sell that much, since it would require a seperate SIM card to work, and people would most likely have to get a seperate subscription for it. However, it would be easier to connect to mobile internet, for those of us who don't have DUN support on our phones.

But yeah. If there was no voice then I don't understand the choices made. And I always understand the choices made

Edit: I will also be disappointed if it only has 3G+ and not Edge.

Last edited by volt; 2009-06-04 at 07:16. Reason: added

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
I like 3) there. Someone is bound to come out with a color Kindle-like thing that can also play movies. I think that the movie aspect would make a lot of people forget about that e-ink stuff. And you know the company that should do it? Netflix has enough money...
We know from Texrat that they're making _some_ device in that category, and it sounds like it's a netbook. And, I've been saying I'd love to see a netbook, especially a convertible tablet netbook... but when I think about what things I really want/need in that category, what things that format really has as strengths, how I'd use it, etc. (how I use my current ubuntu netbook, and what things I find lacking in it) ... what I come up with is that the "tablet" part of "convertible tablet netbook" is more important to me than the "netbook" part.

If, in portrait mode, you could have the virtual thumb keyboard take up less than half the screen, then that would remove one of my major objections to the virtual thumb keyboard (that you can't see the app while you're typing). And, what I find with the netbook is that, when I'm mobile, I don't really "type" on it, I just hunt and peck (since I'm holding it snugly with one arm, and only have one hand free to "type") ... and when I get to a place where I can sit down and TYPE on it, I pull out a folding USB keyboard so I have a REAL full size keyboard for fast typing. If this netbook was a convertible tablet, with a decent virtual keyboard, I wouldn't be surprised if I _never_ used its built-in keyboard.

So, that lead me to the conclusion that while I might value the flexibility of a convertible tablet netbook ... I'd also probably end up being perfectly happy with a plain non-pocketable tablet of this same screen size (9" ... I have a dell vostro a90, which is basically an all black dell mini 9).

It makes me that much more interested in the Always Innovating Touchbook ... if Nokia's "netbook" turns out to just be a plain netbook.

Originally Posted by zfarooq View Post
I cant wait for the N900 esp after reading a forum where ppl in the know commented that there is something 'special' about the screen, and the recent leak was pretty much spot on.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-10252373-94.html
Originally Posted by Mats Lewan on CNET, quoting David Wood of the Symbian Foundation
And yes, the current user interface--Nokia's S60 that was recently adapted for touch-screen use in a way that didn't really impress everyone--will be replaced.

"It's called Direct UI and has already been designed. It's available in labs and will be shipped in phones with Symbian release 4 at the end of next year," Wood said. He mentions new features, such as the capability to control the phone by hovering above the screen but not touching it.
Now, there is something special.

Posts: 528 | Thanked: 895 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Moscow, Russia
Brand new leaked photo of N900. It's a phone!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wazd For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapointed by nokia, dpad, maemo phone, my tablet is crying, n900, nokia gets it wrong, openmoko, rover, rx-51, rx-71 needed, screen size, smartphone, t-mobile