Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I find that I hardly ever use my N900 when I'm travelling about. Except as a phone, and that's rare.

So after the N900 I'll get a cheap, minimal function phone and some kind of bigger tablet. I won't usually bring the tablet with me.

I will keep the N900 as long as possible.

Originally Posted by ruskie View Post

Customer service??? Why would I want to deal with customer service(of any company?)??? The product works. If it doesn't it gets returned. And so far the only times the N900 failed in any way was due to my own messing around.
You deal with customer services when the device does not work like you said. All of us that have had faulty usb ports who did you think we had to deal with to get it fixed? The man from the moon? And you can't return a device because it is not working (unless you are within the 14 day cooling off period).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to etuoyo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 543 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Universe,LocalCluster.MilkyWay.Sol.Earth.Europe.Slovenia.Ljubljana
Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
You deal with customer services when the device does not work like you said. All of us that have had faulty usb ports who did you think we had to deal with to get it fixed? The man from the moon? And you can't return a device because it is not working (unless you are within the 14 day cooling off period).
Erm. No I would not talk to customer service if that were the case. I would talk to the repair guy about that. Customer service has nothing to do with device repair. I consider customer service to be a helpdesk to do with stuff like: I don't know how to use this function that is mentioned here. The repair guy would on the other hand have a clue about the issue at hand.

As for the 14 day cooloff period I see a lot of people complaining about how there aren't some features here or there etc... that are plainly SW based. So if it doesn't do it why keep it beyond those 14 days. When I got my device I was using it insanely and did a ton of crap with it. If I wasn't satisfied with what it did there and then I would have returned it as not fit for purpose.

Now if you buy a device and say ohh I'll try this later. That's your fault. Also I did market research like I always do with anything I buy. Even the 20 eur mp3 player I bought I checked about its specs, reviews etc.

To those that complain about the N900... what did you expect you were buying when you bought the N900? A smartphone? A computer? A phone? Or something else?

I personally expected a computer. Nothing else. If it was a smartphone I would have returned it or not even bought it. I have one of those... N95 or whatever it is... I don't want a smartphone I want a computer with the phone being a tiny tiny tiny part of it and such a part that doesn't actually influence the design of it(though with the n900 this shows as a smaller device).

Anyway enough ranting I'm heading to sleep.
zsh|xmms2|fcron|gtar|gcoreutils

The Following User Says Thank You to ruskie For This Useful Post:
Erm. No I would not talk to customer service if that were the case. I would talk to the repair guy about that. Customer service has nothing to do with device repair. I consider customer service to be a helpdesk to do with stuff like: I don't know how to use this function that is mentioned here. The repair guy would on the other hand have a clue about the issue at hand.
In that case you do not really know what customer service means.

Customer services means a company providing services to a customer or potential customer. It includes pre-sales services (employees who can answer a cutomer's questions) and any after sales services. It also does not just refer to a specific person but the entity as a whole. For example a company where you can only communicate by letter has poor customer services. One that allows emails is less bad but still bad. One that you can only communicate to by phone is okay on that level. One that you can go to store and they are willing to help and they know what they are doing have good customer services.

For example, I said I did not want another Nokia device because of poor customer services. It took almost two months for Nokia to provide me a replacement N900 when the usb port died. That is very very bad customer services.

Customer services is not just a guy on a phone. It is the entity as a whole and the services it provides to the public.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to etuoyo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 543 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Universe,LocalCluster.MilkyWay.Sol.Earth.Europe.Slovenia.Ljubljana
Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
For example, I said I did not want another Nokia device because of poor customer services. It took almost two months for Nokia to provide me a replacement N900 when the usb port died. That is very very bad customer services.
Did you purchase the device directly from Nokia or from a local distributor? I never did any business with Nokia. Always the local distributor and they also do any repairs etc(and they tend to be a week at most).

As for 2 months... last I checked they are supposed to provide a replacement device after 45 days by law. If they don't you're supposed to take initiative.
zsh|xmms2|fcron|gtar|gcoreutils

Posts: 762 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki
As for meego no thanks. That's a phone centric UX. Totaly useless for any serious work(personally).
Aw man you just said out loud my greatest fear about MeeGo. Man put the lid back on, put the lid back on! Don't force me to face reality.

Please read my blog: "PeakMobility", which deals with MeeGo/Maemo, Windows Phone and mobile technology in general from a hedonistic user point-of-view: http://peakmob.blogspot.com/

As much as I hope that Meego is the kind of OS I've been waiting for, I am torn on what I want in my next phone. Or if I even want a smartphone and not some sort of tablet/device (possibly a "netvertible"). I have my desktop at home for "heavy lifting", then I have a laptop supplied by my work. I really need something that can move easily with me and that I can type fairly quickly on- so in general I need a keyboard or the ability to pair a keyboard with it. (my experience trying to pair a keyboard with the N900 was a waste of time)

That being said, in my last few trips, I have not needed to carry a full-on computer with me, since I can do most of what I need on my N900. I like the way the N900 is my "communications center" (basic email, calls, instant messaging)- and I could offload a lot of my computing needs on a larger device.

Posts: 251 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Finland, Vaasa
I will keep this phone until i have payed it, so another year this.

Then propably Iphone, HTC with Android or Meego device.

There few which i wont thouch. Those are Samgungs, Windows phones and perhaps Symbians, not sure though what they(symbians) will be next year

Posts: 41 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Swindon
I would really like to see the N9 not just rumours, even though i vowed to all my colleagues i wouldnt get another Nokia after the issues with the N900.

But i also want to see the Motorola Olympus/Droid Terminator. I hope they call it the Droid Terminator if it ever gets released in the UK, i think it is the best name for a phone so far.

I guess i will be waiting till the new year though so only a couple more months with Tmobile.

N900 for now till i see the real successor to it, rumored to b having 64gb, 512mb ram and 4.1 in amoled screen with qwerty slide and meego. donno what it will be called. Probably n910, like the tablet series n900 is based on.