Notices

Originally Posted by bigdawgte View Post
Hi:
I believe I love knots even more than I loved my old n810 or n770. That's because it is, I think, in the right hands, "One media app to rule them all. " I have gotten it working well on my kids OLPC to stream video to the built in movie player app, because the XO has severely crippled/limited networking capabilities, overcome easily by Knots (web-based). Then there is the fact that knots is cross-platform and transcoding - and therefore extremely flexible.

Recently, I tried to get it working to serve video to an iPad, b/c my 880 is, for all intents..., dead, and b/c i want open-source and flexibilty, rather than the neutered pay for options which Apple allows. The iPad, as you may know, is severely crippled in terms of codec and format. I was not able to figure the right settings in knots, and whether to try to play in browser or via external player. I do know that I need h264 in mp4 format and I found some detail on ipad video format at the following 1 and 2.
Believe me I tried, but IOS is very crippled in that sense and I gave up. I think it's doable, but would require some big changes.

Originally Posted by bigdawgte View Post
Also, as to the OLPC, I only wish there were more clients for Knots 2, as it would be of great use to my kids (and kids around the world, using Sugar OS) to have a simpler way to access Knots2 video goodness. I see that the author has graciously provided the client source, but I wonder if a gnome or Sugar client could be compiled from that.

Any help, comment or suggestions greatly appreciated,; I sincerely feel that this is one of the smartest/best apps ever created for any platform.
I have a semi-working client for desktop too. It runs on latest Ubuntu at least. It needs hildon and osso libraries for your distribution so if those are available, I don't see a reason why it wouldn't work.

The Following User Says Thank You to ukki For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
I've asked before like a year ago but Ukki couldn't check on this since he lives out of the country.

Anyway, is it possible to somehow stream videos with Knots on a site such as this?
http://watchanimenow.com/death-note-...ode-1-rebirth/

"don't use non-ascii characters in filenames on Windows."

is there any way to play these files? i got a quite large library, and would hate to rename so many files to weird titles, just to be able to play them on the phone.

Beating a dead horse here a little bit, but noticed VLC 2.0.1 worked on OS X again. I edited N900 profile, changed mux to ffmpeg{mux=flv} and stream extension to flv and 1080p mkv played well on my N900. Anyone tried latest VLC on Windows?

EDIT: remember to set "Using VLC 1.1 or newer" to false and restart the server, since oldtelnet interface was removed.

Last edited by ukki; 2012-03-23 at 12:07.

Posts: 115 | Thanked: 95 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Sankt-Peterburg, Russia
Works on windows. Most of the files are playing fine, but 1080p/720p .mkv with FLAC audio have some sound 'issues': all I can hear is a loud noise, and sometimes vlc just crashes.

The Following User Says Thank You to ekze For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
^ Yeah, I would imagine that is too much content to stream with that kind of a video.

Originally Posted by ekze View Post
Works on windows. Most of the files are playing fine, but 1080p/720p .mkv with FLAC audio have some sound 'issues': all I can hear is a loud noise, and sometimes vlc just crashes.
Maybe with little tinkering you could find another container that works with N900. Maybe leave out audio codec so sound doesn't get transcoded if N900 can play the audio natively.

Posts: 115 | Thanked: 95 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Sankt-Peterburg, Russia
I've tried it.
To sum it up:
Original audio: FLAC

Transcode to mp3:
9/10 - vlc crash
1/10 - loud noise

No audio transcode:
9/10 - vlc crash
1/10 - no sound

With video I tried playing with asf and flv but it didn't really change anything.

I think "with vlc2 use vlc-1.1 or newer=false" is funny.

I would say:
Code:
diff --git a/lib/vlc.rb b/lib/vlc.rb
index 1c68cdc..37e573d 100644
--- a/lib/vlc.rb
+++ b/lib/vlc.rb
@@ -232,7 +232,7 @@ class VLC
                        @vlc_startup = Time.now
                        if server.settings.vlc && File.exists?(server.settings.vlc)
                                Thread.new do
-                                       cmd = "#{server.settings.vlc} -Vdummy --intf=#{server.settings.new_vlc && server.settings.new_vlc.to_i == 1 ? "old" : ""}telnet --telnet-host=localhost --teln
+                                       cmd = "#{server.settings.vlc} --intf=telnet --telnet-host=localhost --telnet-port=4212 --telnet-password=knots"
                                        if !Common.windows_os?
                                                cmd +=" -d --pidfile=#{@pidfile} 2> /dev/null"
                                        else
----
I'm trying to watch videos with very lousy laptop, without flash (namely OLPC, http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Hardware_specification). I have powerful server and fast (local) network. With powerful client I have tested that server has not any problems.

Out of the box (client side) theora is only profile, which is handled. Video streaming works with (default) Theora-profile when resolution is dropped to the 240x160px (which is almost a joke). 480x320px is lagging too much.

What should I try next? I see profile has many parameters to tune, but I have no idea which makes video lighter to play.

Originally Posted by AapoRantalainen View Post
I think "with vlc2 use vlc-1.1 or newer=false" is funny.
Indeed since the new telnet interface works like the old one.

Originally Posted by AapoRantalainen View Post
I'm trying to watch videos with very lousy laptop, without flash (namely OLPC, http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Hardware_specification). I have powerful server and fast (local) network. With powerful client I have tested that server has not any problems.

Out of the box (client side) theora is only profile, which is handled. Video streaming works with (default) Theora-profile when resolution is dropped to the 240x160px (which is almost a joke). 480x320px is lagging too much.

What should I try next? I see profile has many parameters to tune, but I have no idea which makes video lighter to play.
There's not much you can do I guess. Lowering bitrate will help some, but makes the quality worse of course.

Now that VLC can transcode h264 to Flash plugin, N900 profile should work nicely with a Flash enabled browser if you copy paste mux from browser-profile. External subtitle support seems broken now though.

Do you use the stock os? Does it have any video players? Maybe something that can do DLNA? You could then use something like Mediatomb with transcoding instead of Knots.

Tags
knots, music, streaming, video