Posts: 19 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Melbourne, Australia
I have recently acquired a bluetooth device which allows me to play audio from the N9 through my stereo (a logitech device).

It plays mostly ok except for dropouts on a fairly regular basis.

I decided to watch the syslog ( /var/log/syslog ) to see whether there was any specific activity during those dropouts, and noticed that they coincided with the following messages appearing in the log

May 4 21:17:05 (2012) wlancond[1763]: Scan issued
May 4 21:17:07 (2012) wlancond[1763]: Scan results ready -- scan active

So my question is: is there a way the music player can be made robust to other processes running on the system, like wlancond ?

These dropouts are making the N9 fairly ineffective as a music player, and I had been hoping it might be possible to use it as a main loungeroom music player.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by libro View Post
I have recently acquired a bluetooth device which allows me to play audio from the N9 through my stereo (a logitech device).

It plays mostly ok except for dropouts on a fairly regular basis.

I decided to watch the syslog ( /var/log/syslog ) to see whether there was any specific activity during those dropouts, and noticed that they coincided with the following messages appearing in the log

May 4 21:17:05 (2012) wlancond[1763]: Scan issued
May 4 21:17:07 (2012) wlancond[1763]: Scan results ready -- scan active

So my question is: is there a way the music player can be made robust to other processes running on the system, like wlancond ?

These dropouts are making the N9 fairly ineffective as a music player, and I had been hoping it might be possible to use it as a main loungeroom music player.
Read this entire report, inc. comments....
http://harmattan-bugs.nokia.com/show_bug.cgi?id=125
They still haven't responded at all since here...
http://harmattan-bugs.nokia.com/show_bug.cgi?id=125#c13
Despite constant suggestions for simple workarounds, instead of drastic changes.

All you can do is vote, get others to do so, & maybe add some useful ideas there.
I doubt it'll make it into PR1.3 though, it's primarily a bug-fix release for the nastiest bugs.
They barely have enough resources for them, let alone secondary ones & new features.
And it's very unlikely there'll be a PR1.4 and PR1.5

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-05-05 at 17:00.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 2,383 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
well bluetooth and wifi uses the same antenna and frequencies, you cannot burn the candle on both ends. If you use the both actively at the same time, you cant except that it wont affect the other. Quite many products are using single antenna for wifi&bt functionality.

Increasing buffers would help, or disabling either bt or wifi.

Originally Posted by rainisto View Post
Increasing buffers would help, or disabling either bt or wifi.
How this can be done? Some config-file or? I mean, increasing buffers? More inside information is needed... I know how to disabling those, which is not solution when listening/streaming internetradio, at home, from/to your bluetooth device?

Can this be fixed or not? Simply Y or N?

"Gods have mercy. Cats don't..." <- Kaotik@iotech

you can always stream over 3g and usbnet to bt. Streaming over wifi to bt will most likely cause problems sometimes.

I don't remember if there is config files for the buffers. Someone else most likely can comment on that better.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
I don't remember if there is config files for the buffers. Someone else most likely can comment on that better.
If anyone knows much more about this area... PLEASE CHIME IN...
It's unfortunate two antennas weren't used, hopefully management of the buffers can at least partially mitigate this issue.

Posts: 185 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Veitshöchheim, Germany
cant you just deactivate wlan?

also if you change /schemas/system/osso/connectivity/network_type/search_interval to 0 value, it disables the search scanning (default value 300 ie every 5 mins). Most likely that will be enough to fix the problems that scan caused.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rainisto For This Useful Post:
also if you change /schemas/system/osso/connectivity/network_type/search_interval to 0 value, it disables the search scanning (default value 300 ie every 5 mins). Most likely that will be enough to fix the problems that scan caused.
Could you explain to me how to do this? Thanks in advance!

You can use http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=81614 Gconfig GUI, or commandline with:
# gconftool-2 -t int -s /schemas/system/osso/connectivity/network_type/search_interval 0

The Following User Says Thank You to rainisto For This Useful Post: