hello.
I want to make an app for OS 2008, but i'm only a student, not a good developer. So, is there any simple sdk software (like iphone sdk, with compiler, simulator, using drag and drop...) to make applications for maemo?
Thanks
Bye

Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
Here you go free of charge

http://maemo.org/development/sdks/

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

Posts: 274 | Thanked: 143 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Romania
no drag&drop though, go with MS.VisualStudio for that.

Beware that it will wash your brain and you will never understand real programming, library linkage, versions, paths ... etc ... etc ...

Drag and Drop wont teach you anything. I bet I'm the last person in the word that sites makes websites by typing HTML instead of using a WYSIWYG program.

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

Posts: 274 | Thanked: 143 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Romania
nope, you're not the last one

I've said that i'm not a professional developer! i'm a student, and i only want to make maemo a better system, with better software and features. Yesterday was "born" the new Iphone 3g. It's time to make Nokia n810 a better product!

So, making apps for Maemo should be difficult? Strange..

No but if you are a student I would say if you really want to learn how to program take your time and learn the hard way. That way in the long run you will have a better understanding on how to debug your programs. I have real problem with Drag and Drop programs but you should try and go beyond them also if not now some day.

Posts: 334 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Eastern Ontario, Canada
Well there is Eagle:

http://www.gustavobarbieri.com.br/eagle/docs/eagle.html

which is a bit rough, but does work.

Or, you could write webapps for the browser which might run acceptably once the FF 3.0 Gecko engine is available on the tablets.

Otherwise, prepare to spend a lot of time learning Scratchbox and how to write programs that only run on the tablets (Hildon-specific). Sad, really.

Ok. I understand. Thank you..
Well...there isn't any simple software to program maemo software....
someone know When will Nokia release a software update (of Maemo os 2008)?
Just two informations:
-Is possible to have something like multi touch or gestures on Nokia? Why?
-is possible to have something like accelerometer in Nokia n810 (I know that in Nokia n810 there isn't a accelerometer, but I read some article about a new technology that use only the device's camera. (read this: http://www.windowsfordevices.com/news/NS2030800893.html)?Why?
Thank you very much for your attention
Bye
Luca

Last edited by lucag; 2008-06-10 at 14:06.

Posts: 39 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Genoa, Italy
Originally Posted by quoddix View Post
I've said that i'm not a professional developer! i'm a student, and i only want to make maemo a better system, with better software and features. Yesterday was "born" the new Iphone 3g. It's time to make Nokia n810 a better product!
So, you don't know about programming, don't want to learn about it but you think you could do better programs than those available until now?
I don't want to prevent you doing that, just think about the way you are going to do it.
However there are many ways to improve programs (feedback, documentation, translations, testing, bug reporting...), not just programming: choose the one more suitable for you.

Originally Posted by quoddix View Post
So, making apps for Maemo should be difficult? Strange..
I think making good apps is always difficult.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stale For This Useful Post: