Posts: 45 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
One step at a time bud.

However, I do have to ask... I don't have my loaner handy, but with all/most of the Google sites now redirecting to mobile sites instead of the full-blown sites - and without changing the browser agent string - can the N900 use Google Docs?

Innocent question that I don't know the answer to... thanks in advance.
Yes. You get a choice of mobile or desktop mode, and in desktop you can create/edit to your heart's content.

Ithink GD's primarily intended for something other than document viewing. If that's all it did I don't think it would hold the interest it does.

But by all means, congratulations to the Android developers and all the folks at Google for achieving a partial resolution to that glaring, obvious shortcoming. Gold stars all around.

The Following User Says Thank You to DrSteve For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Africa View Post
So right now im waiting for my Nexus One. Thats the phone i should have bought from the very beginning. Oh, i ended up giving the N900 to a sibling, for free!!!
Clearly http://talk.maemo.org/search.php?searchid=7898614
I don't know why you bought the N900, The only things you have talked about is 'Android' and 'how much you dislike Nokias'

Please move on quietly.

Originally Posted by stickymick View Post
Well, for starters, it's bigger than the HD2 was (only 2mm though), but that was like walking round with half a sheet of shuttering ply all day long. I used a HD2 for a day and was glad to get rid of it.

Good job it wasn't too windy, too.
So the problem is the size? The n900 is on the big side too

Originally Posted by JonWW View Post
Clearly http://talk.maemo.org/search.php?searchid=7898614
I don't know why you bought the N900, The only things you have talked about is 'Android' and 'how much you dislike Nokias'

Please move on quietly.
But these threads often generate some interesting comments and questions... and assuming there really is a sibling with an N900, why not let him vent? It's disappointing to spend a bunch of money and not have it meet your needs.

When I was making the decision to buy my N900 I read all these posts - good and bad - and they were very helpful. You aren't just buying a phone, you're joining a community. How a group treats its new users and trolls is important.

If I were employed by Nokia, I'd be keeping a list of what works and what doesn't - even if it isn't official feedback and even if it just goes into MeeGo.

Terry

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to terryowen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Originally Posted by Africa View Post
So right now im waiting for my Nexus One. Thats the phone i should have bought from the very beginning. Oh, i ended up giving the N900 to a sibling, for free!!!
Okay!
And why did you have to share this with us?
I mean, okay, go for whatever you like, but why do you think we care?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Venemo View Post
Okay!
And why did you have to share this with us?
I mean, okay, go for whatever you like, but why do you think we care?

Wow.. crazy! I got the same results when I read YOUR reply. Rant on, folks.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by terryowen View Post
But these threads often generate some interesting comments and questions... and assuming there really is a sibling with an N900, why not let him vent? It's disappointing to spend a bunch of money and not have it meet your needs.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with this, you're completely right. What is wrong with it, however, are two things.

First of all, it is in the wrong place. Complaining about purchase of a product is fine, but you generally don't go and do it somewhere only tangentially related. As an example, if I bought a Dell PC, and it was a piece of crap, I'd generally go talk to Dell about a refund, or a repair, or whatever. I wouldn't go to a Dell end-user forum, regardless of whether or not there might be the occasional Dell employee from another division wandering around the same forum.

To move away from the example and back to the real world - maemo.org is not a Nokia feedback channel. It's an enthusiast community around (primarily Nokia) devices, and as such, the people here aren't likely to have a hugely enjoyable time on threads like these - and nor will the person posting originally - given that their feedback is not going in the right place, and as a result probably won't get the response they were looking for, if at all. (Of course, I'm assuming good faith here, but I'm a nice person.)

So: Nokia Care, Forum Nokia, Nokia Conversations, or any other official Nokia medium (perhaps best of all: physically writing to them) is likely to be a better option than venting frustrations on a random, tangentially related at best, internet forum.

Second of all, there is complaining, and there is constructive complaining. Going back to my earlier example, when I ring Dell and ask them for a refund, they're generally not going to take "your product is a piece of ****" as a reasonable reason to offer a refund (unless they are feeling really generous).

Again, back in the real world - the OP didn't really give any value to the subject he was writing about. "It's crap and I should have bought XXXX", while obviously paraphrased, is not far from the point of the original post - and obviously - is totally worthless, even to people who might be able to do something about it.

Thanks for your points, though.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,169 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ sunderland
@1st post, why not post on a droid forum if youve switched os/phone then?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to leetut For This Useful Post:
w00t - you make an excellent case but in the real world I see this in most user forums (especially Dells!). With purchases of this kind, the only people who really feel your pain are likely to be in a user forum if they are anywhere at all.

I'm not sure why gadgets turn us into drooling fanboys or fangirls or can break our hearts when they don't live up to expectations. If people get tired of writing papers about Buffy or Star Trek, gadget addicts would make fascinating subjects. :-)

Terry

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to terryowen For This Useful Post:
It's also a matter of noise. It clutters up the forum (there should be a rant section)

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:

Tags
delete me, fanboys gallery, user fail, worstthreadever