Posts: 279 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Belgrade, Serbia
I don't know what's wrong, but it seems that fm transmitter signal is WAY too weak. I practically need to bring the phone to the antenna to clearly understand whatever i'm playing. I choose the frequency that is not taken by any radio station, but still the signal is too weak. Do you have any solution for this and what are your experiences with FM transmitter?

Posts: 820 | Thanked: 436 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Portsmouth, UK.
Use the 'Power Search' function, you'll find an app called 'FM Boost', you can also look at adding the fm transmitter to the status bar permanently, there's a mod in the thread describing this that will automatically boost the power when you launch fm transmitter.

You will have to re-enable fm boost if you plug your charger in.

Originally Posted by white_ranger View Post
I don't know what's wrong, but it seems that fm transmitter signal is WAY too weak. I practically need to bring the phone to the antenna to clearly understand whatever i'm playing. I choose the frequency that is not taken by any radio station, but still the signal is too weak. Do you have any solution for this and what are your experiences with FM transmitter?
Not all FM radios' tuners are created equal. Some are better than others. My phone stays in the front seat, antennae (a stubby no less) is in the back of the car, and I have no issues pairing with my Pioneer AVIC 700. I'm also not using the FM boost app.

Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
It is weak on purpose because of laws, just like every other FM transmitter... I've never used one that works well.

Best solution if your car has an auxiliary input is just buy a cable and plug it into the headphone jack on N900. Sound quality this way is much better than FM, too.

The Following User Says Thank You to stlpaul For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
use the healthcheck app. my fm transmitter show 112 in strenght without fm boost.

Last edited by Dave999; 2010-07-20 at 16:17.

Posts: 279 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Belgrade, Serbia
I have that app FM Boost installed, but it's still too weak. I don't know what's wrong. It seems like everybody has good signal except me

Posts: 311 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Boston, MA
no I also have had crappy signal even with the fm boost installed and running.. The only way I get a crystal clear reception is to hold the phone as close to the antenna as possible!

Stinks, however the line-in solution works just fine... So much so for going cable-less!

I have that app FM Boost installed, but it's still too weak. I don't know what's wrong. It seems like everybody has good signal except me
You have a rubbish car?

You're not the only one, I have a Ford Focus Estate and that picks up the N900 a dream, my mate has a Vauxhall Astra Estate and that can't pick it up at all unless I hang my device out the window even with the boost on!

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
You can try use external antenna: Just plug in the supplied USB cable to the N900 USB port without connecting the other end to the PC. This improved my signal strength significantly. You can also combine this with FM-Boost.

I was able to pick up the radio signal about 20 feet away from the N900 with just a regular Boombox... Without the "antenna" I had to be very close to the receiver.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mara For This Useful Post: