Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Hi, I'm gonna buy a new phone to use as smart companion. I'm in bit confusion to choose between these 3 models. My requirements are
*better battery -atleast for 10 hours of moderate usage
*good camera-like to capture everything
*like to play a little-i'm a beginner in programming
*HWKB is not a problem-already using a touch device only
*gonna use it for next 1/1.5 years
*budget @ upto 21K INR

Though these devices are older, I like their well balanced futures.
Suggestions required....

Posts: 39 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Genoa, Italy
I own an N800 tablet (not a N900 phone) and I recently bought a SE Xperia Neo.

When I'm browsing internet I miss my N800:
- Screen was slightly bigger but still pocketable.
- On Xperia Neo you have to use fingers. On N800 you have a stylus, tapping is more accurate, you can use it also wearing gloves and you can always see what are you tapping on.
- I miss hardware buttons of N800 for zooming/scrolling, on Xperia Neo you have to do it by gestures.
- With Xperia Neo most sites [having a mobile version] redirect the default browser to the mobile (restricted) version, even if it would be reasonably capable of showing the full version. However you can install Opera and set it to show the "desktop" version of the site.
- With Xperia Neo you can't use an http proxy without hacks.

Moreover:
- Xperia Neo has built-in DLNA server but doesn't have a built-in DLNA client (you need to search 3rd party software for this). N800 file manager has DLNA client support built-in.
- I can't install OpenVPN without a custom firmware and then voiding the manufacturer's warranty.

As far as I know most of the drawbacks of Xperia Neo listed here are the same of other similar Android device.

On the plus side, Xperia Neo is smaller, thinner, lighter and faster, battery life is good.

On the development side, it should be easy to port standard Linux applications to Maemo but there are probably more developers and applications on Android than on Maemo.

Last edited by stale; 2012-01-12 at 22:52.

The Following User Says Thank You to stale For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
nokia n9 makes your three choices look bad... Except the camera on n8. Price drops on n9 now..

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
thanks mike. I think it's a good idea. I can extract some more months from my current device. Let me hope Nokia still sells the N9. Anyway they won't be available in India, so I've to buy from any other country or ebay India:-)

Originally Posted by bschakravarthy View Post
thanks mike. I think it's a good idea. I can extract some more months from my current device. Let me hope Nokia still sells the N9. Anyway they won't be available in India, so I've to buy from any other country or ebay India:-)
i also recommend you to have n9
its a perfect mobile

there are lots of app for it
and in the near future android will be ported to n9
as it is not available in indian but you can still buy it from nokia storea(in some)
i also purchased it from nokia store india

Originally Posted by Sourav.dubey View Post
i also recommend you to have n9
its a perfect mobile

there are lots of app for it
and in the near future android will be ported to n9
as it is not available in indian but you can still buy it from nokia storea(in some)
i also purchased it from nokia store india
Actually I don't care much about the apps. Which store did you bought it(exact address)???