Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Inspired by Stskeeps' posting I realized that Karsten and me started working on maemo.org Bugzilla quite exactly two years ago.
Instead of blogging my point of view I really love the idea to also ask the community for a review of our work as Stskeeps did.

So I ask you to please post what comes to your mind related to our job - what you think was/is good and what was/is bad. (For both categories I have some expected comments in my mind but I'd appreciate your impressions and feedback first...)

And if you have not the slightest idea what a "bugmaster" job means and hear about this for the very first time: Have a quick look at our wiki.

The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to Andre Klapper For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Originally Posted by Andre Klapper View Post
And if you have not the slightest idea what a "bugmaster" job means and hear about this for the very first time: Have a quick look at our wiki.
I have this mental image of you as being a bit like a lion tamer going into the cage with the bugs and beating them back with a chair and a whip...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Hmm, interesting. I hope that somebody can photoshop that. :-)

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
What do I see from your work? I see your reaction when I file a bug (or comment on one).

What I really, really appreciate is that you give me the feeling that each and every entry in bugzilla is of value. If only by closing it as a duplicate, which means you looked at it, took the time to understand what it means and try to check for similar entries. (Which takes some skills... I usually do search before I open a new bug, still you seem to know better how to search for what ...)

You know how to communicate in a way that's perfectly clear and effective, yet friendly and respectful.

And I just love the effort you put into housekeeping. Adding new m,ilestones to old bugs, copypasting information about which release will most likely include the fix for this and that bug to each of those bugs... etc.

That's what I see, and what I see I like. I don't follow community channels other than t.m.o. so there's probably more bugmaster work I don't know about... But certainly there's nothing I miss or that I think is going wrong.

The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
I usually do search before I open a new bug, still you seem to know better how to search for what
Dups always happen, to everybody. I hope that nobody's afraid of reporting an issue just because it *could* be a dup though...

You know how to communicate in a way that's perfectly clear and effective, yet friendly and respectful.
Thanks. I could have been friendlier around December. I was quite overworked and there was a high number of incoming reports. I *really* appreciated the feedback by two or three people that told me to check my tone and maybe work a bit less.

there's probably more bugmaster work I don't know about...
Yeah, for example Karsten working in the background on getting Bugzilla 3.4 in place (current version is ancient and misses a lot of stuff that will make everybody's life easier).

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Andre Klapper For This Useful Post:
/me hoping for more feedback, but maybe Bugzilla is just a too boring topic. :-P

Posts: 355 | Thanked: 245 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Northern VA
I had filed a bug when I recieved my first N900 because it got stuck in a weird reboot cycle but there were hardware issues as well, after filing bug and getting a prompt response after troubleshooting all I could, I realized that the unit was one of the first week production models that were defective and sent it back for a replacement, which I am using flawlessly for the past several months. Due to the quick help and response from Bugzilla I was able to narrow things down and rectify the problem quickly as possible. Great work Bugmasters!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZackMorris For This Useful Post:
Is it a preference you can change in bugzilla to show everyone's emails or not?

I've just realised everyone's email address is advertised for spammers everywhere to get hold of when you click show votes....

Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
Andre, In my use of b.m.o, I too have misfiled bugs, made dups, etc. You have handled it all in a professional manner, and have always been helpful in asking questions, clarifying, etc. I have no negatives to say about your work at all. In fact, quite the opposite, in my experience, you are doing a fantastic job.

My only peeves with b.m.o relate to the actual software. But sounds like Karsten's work on 3.4 will improve that situation.

Although you may not get much praise on a regular basis, your work is transparent, high quality, and highly appreciated. Thank you!

The Following User Says Thank You to EIPI For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Wichall View Post
Is it a preference you can change in bugzilla to show everyone's emails or not?
See the discussion in http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=46816 (well, "pick the useful parts" maybe, it became a bit heated).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andre Klapper For This Useful Post:

Tags
andre, bug, bugzilla, feedback