Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
Originally Posted by electroaudio View Post
@Retsaw

Do you know how to remove and maybe even replace the menu with something else, more useful?
Which menu are you talking about?

He's probably referring to general menu - I would suggest Catorise+ (not Catorise itself, without "+"), as it makes menu really, *really* useful. And very customizable.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
He's probably referring to general menu - I would suggest Catorise+ (not Catorise itself, without "+"), as it makes menu really, *really* useful. And very customizable.

/Estel
I don't want to assume that's what he is talking about. And about Catorise[plus], I find it more annoying than useful, it is an extra click to get to the app I want and I have to remember (or think about) what catagory an app is in. What I do is organise my favorite 20 apps at the top, then go into ~/.config/menus/hildon.menu and delete all the entries for the other apps so they revert to alphabetical order (excepting some oddities due to name localisations on the Nokia apps). What I would love though is a filter so I could type a few letters of the name to get the app I want.

Posts: 381 | Thanked: 336 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Stockholm, Sweden
Yes, it is the appz menu that can be replaced with catorize that i would like to replace with something more useful.
I never use it and the button is almost always there, so it would be convienient to use it for something else.

The Following User Says Thank You to electroaudio For This Useful Post:
So what would you replace it with? Not that I am able to, but let's hear any ideas you have anyway and maybe somene else will be able to help you.

The Following User Says Thank You to retsaw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 182 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
I would prefer it to be replaced by something like Nicolai's App Search Widget. Similar function, much more convenient. We have a keyboard, so let's use it!

Originally Posted by retsaw View Post
So what would you replace it with? Not that I am able to, but let's hear any ideas you have anyway and maybe somene else will be able to help you.
Actually, what i would like to do is to replace the menu with my deskypplet widget, recompiled as a freestanding program.
(Hmm, maybe the menu is a widhet?? just thinking about how it for example preserves the desktop background..)

But seeing maartenmkīs comment too, maybe the menubutton should be controlled by a new entry in the settings, that would make it easy for anyone to just put whatever they want on that button.

Last edited by electroaudio; 2012-04-14 at 12:31.

Originally Posted by electroaudio View Post
But seeing maartenmkīs comment too, maybe the menubutton should be controlled by a new entry in the settings, that would make it easy for anyone to just put whatever they want on that button.
Maybe launch a universal search function similar to "Just Type" on webOS?

The Following User Says Thank You to MINKIN2 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
Maybe launch a universal search function similar to "Just Type" on webOS?
Well, if the button was configurable: then it would also open up a brand new field for programmers to make new useful programs for
-I also think the threadstarter would be happy if he could save that memory, and started using the desktop instead.

Last edited by electroaudio; 2012-04-15 at 08:42.

Now i have looked into both MyMenu and Catorise, and the only thing these programs does is to update a (freedesktop standard) menufile in /etc/xdg/menus.
-That was a big dissapointment...

Anyone famiiar enough with the freedesktop definition of menus to fool it to run an atribituary program?

Or knows where in the hildon-desktop source the call is and how to replace that with something else?

Otherwise i guess we have to be very persuasive and try to convince the cssu-team to drop their portrait mode development for a couple of minutes, to redefine that call