Posts: 434 | Thanked: 990 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
always wondered why the LG GW990 was cancelled after receiving such good press when it was announced.

Although labelled "Meego" I was always under the impression it was actually Moblin with a custom UI overlay.

I tend to think LG (and Intel) didn't want the embarrassment of having a moorestown based handset that wouldn;t last longer than 3-4 hours before going flat.

Pity, as that was one handset that would have moved me away from a hardware keyboard before the N9 came along.

it would be good to see bit more info from Nokia about the pull out, other than "We are going with WP7"

Intel seem to have been less than supportive in a range of areas relating to Meego Development, despite their public spin, and perhaps Nokia not being interested in shipping handsets with Intel chipsets was some of the reason why.........

The Following User Says Thank You to onethreealpha For This Useful Post:
This 'news' sounds like opportunist PR to undermine Meego to me.

At a recent Intel AppUp event a developer told me Intel had told him they were looking to get 25% of their revenue from the AppUp stores in the next few years. I thought this was a bit unlikely but it seemed consistent with their marketing. An internal goal like this would show they were ambitious about their stores and that includes selling apps on embedded Meego devices as well as programs for Windows machines, but this new 'announcement' doesn't seem consistent with this (alleged) long term goal.

The other thing that makes me suspicious is that Intel is likely to have done a lot of business analysis before pointing their supertanker down the Meego route. I'm convinced there is a lot of pent-up demand from developers with low budgets (all the good developers would have started in a bedroom somewhere) for a low overhead, less restrictive, standardised, mobile platform. I suspect such a platform will be available one day it's just a matter of how long and who cracks the nut. Whoever persists is likely to be the one that gets the early adopter advantages. All of which are arguments I believe Intel would have seen as crucial in going the meego route.

In short I suspect this story was planted by PR company working for a big firm. Their sales staff probably need to bolster their position before some big negotiations take place.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yaln For This Useful Post:
Haven't we been hear before when we all expected Elop to come out straight away and deny the story that they wouldn't be supporting Meego after the N9 but he's never said anything.

The fact Intel haven't come straight out and denied the storey suggests it is porbanbly therefore true. Even Stskeeps as been tweeting that there shoud still be life after intel which suggests he accepts the storey.

Posts: 60 | Thanked: 198 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Radical Realistic Open Source with JFDI instead of Bikeshedding
Originally Posted by droitwichgas View Post
The fact Intel haven't come straight out and denied the storey suggests it is porbanbly therefore true. Even Stskeeps as been tweeting that there shoud still be life after intel which suggests he accepts the storey.
Stskeeps's been quite vocal about the article on IRC, stating it's blown out of proportions and based on rumours so I doubt he accepts the story.

Premise of article is:
* We heard industry rumour about MeeGo, that Intel pulls out
* Intel states they're commited to MeeGo in response to rumour

Everyone understands it as MeeGo is dead, even if it isn't logically correct according to the article itself

Note: due to recommendations from my therapist, I'm ignoring abill_uk for the better of the community. If you echo any similar sentiments as him, feel free to message me or draw my attention to your post as I will gladly participate in reasonable and constructive discussions

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tekki For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by droitwichgas View Post
Haven't we been hear before when we all expected Elop to come out straight away and deny the story that they wouldn't be supporting Meego after the N9 but he's never said anything.

yes and he is right n900 CE and soon n950 CE is alive and kicking next week first image of Meego 1.3 will come

http://blip.tv/carsten-munk/qt-compo...-based-5508447

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
yes and he is right n900 CE and soon n950 CE is alive and kicking next week first image of Meego 1.3 will come

http://blip.tv/carsten-munk/qt-compo...-based-5508447
Mike i think you really do need to calm down about this meego ce bollocks because your going to look a right sucker if you dont.

But hey... prove me wrong.... i will be happy for that

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Surely Intel's got something that's due for final delivery very soon?
They've been working on this for literally "years" now.
They've been innovating hugely in slightly larger form-factors in recent years.
They have truly massive R&D capabilities...
I'd be amazed if they haven't come up with something that competes.
Or even surpasses ARM, by Q1 2012....

Originally Posted by 48GX View Post
If I have a small company with developers what can I do to make MAEMO or MEEGO still updated?

Should I buy some rights?

Should I go to Intel or Nokia and pay them??

Can someone give me ideas of the way should I start?

regards
I suggest you kill Elop and take his place. Then after a while you can infiltrate Microsoft and Apple. Good luck.

MeeGo isnt dieing now LOL, I hate hoax like this.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by tkatchev View Post
Intel did have a chipset waiting in the wings, for a couple years now.
But it's not finished, final nor released yet. Waiting in the wings means something different to you and I. Not "it's coming" and never materializes.

I mean right now or close enough to it. Announcing early, delivering way late... really worked for Nokia, didn't it? Really gonna work for Intel too... NOT

It's just that their chipset sucks.
Yes. Yes it does. Not what I'd base any announcements around.

They keep claiming that they're going to release a new version that doesn't suck "any day now", but so far nothing has materialized.
Bingo. And worse part? Outside of OEM (mostly auto), set top box (Amino, etc.), netbook (x86)... there's no tablet or handset announcements still since February 2010. I mean, seriously... 18 months, not one handset device that somebody will actually stick to - and I don't mean Nokia and their "FINE, we'll release the damn N9, just not in major markets, not with advertising, not with any hype unless you're a geek with a TMO membership..." Nokia N9 release.

Nope. Not a one after nineteen months after the initial Nokia announcement.

If not dying, slowing down. If this rumor is false, it's based on non-announcements. Want to prove it wrong (Intel), then announce something... show something... deliver something.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:

Tags
dying?, meego, meego no-go, orphaned, rumors, unconfirmed