Active Topics

Hi - I tried to add the below to https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=7475 but that bug has been closed due to lack of feedback from the originator. Thought I'd seek advice here before openin a new bug to see if others have similar issues:

I have a n900 (2.2009.51-1.203.2). Twice this week in two different pubs in UK, when trying to connect to their free (but password protected) wi-fi:

when I went to Internet Connections from the status area dropdown menu, I saw the pub's wi-fi listed. The icon was an open padlock. I selected it, and it was described as "Wifi connected setup compliant" (this is from memory so wording may not be exact) and the n900 showed a 6 digit number.

The on screen prompts advised that a button should be pressed on the router, or alternatively I could select PIN method (a button was on screen to select that method). I obviously had no ability to access the router, so only option was the press the button for PIN method. This did nothing useful - I just got a progress bar which slowly progressed but never completed.

In both of these cases, my wife was with me, and on her palm pre, she was simply prompted by the phone to enter a password to connect. In both cases, she did so (using the alpha numeric p/w provided by the bar staff) and immediately got connected.

I believe this is the bug in question:

https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=5786

The Following User Says Thank You to MaxiKana For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Pigro View Post
Hi - I tried to add the below to https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=7475 but that bug has been closed due to lack of feedback from the originator. Thought I'd seek advice here before openin a new bug to see if others have similar issues:

I have a n900 (2.2009.51-1.203.2). Twice this week in two different pubs in UK, when trying to connect to their free (but password protected) wi-fi:

when I went to Internet Connections from the status area dropdown menu, I saw the pub's wi-fi listed. The icon was an open padlock. I selected it, and it was described as "Wifi connected setup compliant" (this is from memory so wording may not be exact) and the n900 showed a 6 digit number.

The on screen prompts advised that a button should be pressed on the router, or alternatively I could select PIN method (a button was on screen to select that method). I obviously had no ability to access the router, so only option was the press the button for PIN method. This did nothing useful - I just got a progress bar which slowly progressed but never completed.

In both of these cases, my wife was with me, and on her palm pre, she was simply prompted by the phone to enter a password to connect. In both cases, she did so (using the alpha numeric p/w provided by the bar staff) and immediately got connected.
Describes my experience of a "setup compliant" router in a pub exactly! My N95 8GB worked fine in another branch of this pub chain a few months ago - just entered the password provided by the bar staff. I just thought maybe the router wasn't set up correctly in this newly refurbished pub. I'll try in some more pubs (obviously!) today, looks like may be a bug?

it is a bug, although admins in bugzilla refuse to accept it as such. The N900 user interface is lacking an option to choose NOT to enter into WIFI Protected Setup when encountering a router that

The workaround is to manually configure the connection from the phone settings menu. This is, of course, quite counterintuitive, and had me thwarted for a week (nearly sent my phone back for a refund).

Not fixing such a simple UI bug and therefore making people unable to connect to a rapitdly increasing number of public wifi hotspots is sure-fire way to have your customers running back to Apple with their arms wide open.