does anyone know (or can anyone test) what public IP gets presented when you are roaming whilst on a Vodafone UK contract?

In UK, I have empirically discovered that you always get a public IP in 212.183.140.XXX. Just wonderng if this will change when roaming (particularly when roaming internationally). I kind of assume it will have to be allocated an IP from a range belonging to the roaming operator, but I'd love to be proved wrong?

If you are currently roaming from a Voda UK phone, maybe you could check on www.whatismyip.com (or similar) and post your current IP? If you don't want to reveal that, just a confirmation of whether or not it is in the above range (or even just a WHOIS on the IP) would do.

TIA for any helpful replies :-)

London UK

The Following User Says Thank You to danielz000 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by danielz000 View Post

London UK
thanks, do you mean you are contracted to an operator other than Vodafone & currently roaming on Voda while in London (if so, that would kind of answer my question, albeit in reverse).

If you are vodafone UK user currently connected to vodafone UK, then I already know the IP range they are using (but thanks anyway!)

Pigro,
Why do you need to know this information?
I would guess that you would be allocated an address owned by the operator you'd roamed to, as it would probably be very difficult to do otherwise.

long(ish) story ... suffice to say I need to make some connections to (& through) my home DSL router whilst abroad.

Right now the router has some f/w rules that I've set to allow inbound traffic - to do "Wake on LAN" to local PC's on my home network and/or to use the SSH server on the router (custom firmware) to proxy traffic through my DSL to a 3rd party who expects to see my static IP).

Some of those rules I've set to limit connections to Voda IP range only (in addition to all the other stuff like non-standard ports, public/private rsa keys etc.). In an ideal world I'd like to keep some of those f/w rules in place while abroad (though no great issue if I have to open it up to any old IP, it's just that I'm a cautious old fellow).

I agree with your guess, but I'd like it backed up by some practical evidence :-)

Sorry mate, I'm from the UK on the Vodafone network. I suspect the IP will change if you go abroad though. Can't imagine they'd route traffic back through the UK just to go through Vodafone's network...

The Following User Says Thank You to danielz000 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 663 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, UK
You'd have a foreign IP based upon whatever rangers are owned by the provider your connected to.
Nokia are a business and have chosen a path of using the OSS community phenomenon to reduce their overheads specifically after sales support and development. Unlike Apple who do the opposite and make a killing from their Applications store.

Posts: 17 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Northampton, UK
you would think...... a lot of networks do however. T-Mobile is one as your ip and webpages still bring up uk versions (google for one) I suppose it's so they can justify ripping you off £10 a meg when data costs could go though the partner network and cost next to nothing.

Its worth pointing out that the "public" ip address your assigned is simply a NAT address that could potentially be assigned to a few hundred others on the same network. All the push email on our company email server with about 10 employees all on Vodafone suspiciously all comes from the same IP.

This is why you can make outgoing connections to anywhere you want but often cant allow incoming connections on your Vodafone IP.

Last edited by unplugged; 2010-03-02 at 22:04.

Posts: 269 | Thanked: 1,096 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hampshire, UK
I will be roaming using a uk voda sim at the weekend, will try to remember to test the ip.

The Following User Says Thank You to epninety For This Useful Post: