Notices

Posts: 22 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Lappeenranta, Finland
I loved to use AGTL for the N900 for all my geocaching needs but atm there doesn't seem to be any geocaching tools available for the N9.

I would love to see AGTL or any other geocaching application for the N9.

The Following User Says Thank You to Pulzar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Davis, CA, US
Originally Posted by Pulzar View Post
I would love to see AGTL or any other geocaching application for the N9.
Yes, definitely! Me too!

I actually keep thinking about writing one, but AGTL is already quite good. But if its not ported then... maybe?

Posts: 8 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Sep 2011 @ Helsinki
Hi. I started looking at geocaching. There are three Qt based options so far I'm aware of:

- AGTL
- CacheMe
- The canceled CacheMe QML port

Of these the last one would be obviously the best if it wasn't canceled months ago. The author is German and understandably annoyed at Nokia's decisions not to sell it there... I tried to argue though in an e-mail that Qt 4.7 w/ QML is now available for Symbian^3, Maemo5 and Harmattan, which are, with the exception of Harmattan the same platforms he aims to support still (and Qt 4.7 is also available for S60 5th edition). But apparently the normal Qt CacheMe already has significant development past the canceled QML port.

Anyway, I have compiled all of the three to Harmattan, and each one of them "kind of" works. They are available at my harmattan repo

Code:
deb http://repo.pub.meego.com/home:/tjyrinki/harmattan/ ./
The cacheme author luckily just released the source code of the abandoned QML port. I renamed and compiled it with the name "katkemut" so as not to be confused with the official CacheMe. It works nicely, but apparently doesn't have eg. the actual cache information showing feature. Also, somehow the QML version .deb from the author's page had the location button enabled while it doesn't seem to work in this version I compiled from sources. Possibly some dependency or something missing when building.

I had to port to AGTL from PyQt to PySide (I've never used either but there was pretty straight-forward guide). Unfortunately some drawing problems seem to have raisen.

Both AGTL and the normal CacheMe are non-themed, look ugly and are kind of like running on desktop pc. However, since CacheMe didn't need any other work besides packaging so I didn't have a chance to break it like AGTL, CacheMe does work to the extent of map browsing and showing both the caches and cache information - only the first two possible with the nicer looking KatkeMut.

One hint for me as a pretty uninformed person was the "MApplication" class instead of QApplication, but I guess a lot more would be needed to get sane looking non-QML Qt application on Harmattan? Or maybe not. That also decides if it's more meaningful to try to port AGTL/CacheMe to Harmattan or try to improve KatkeMut to be at least semi-usable. If anyone actually takes the code to the latter and does something about it, I can put it to git somewhere.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TimoJyrinki For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by TimoJyrinki View Post
Hi. I started looking at geocaching. There are three Qt based options so far I'm aware of:

- AGTL
- CacheMe
- The canceled CacheMe QML port
I tried these three, but I couldn't get the AGTL to install on my N9, I get the error;

"Can't install Unable to trace installation package dependencies"

I am really looking forward to a geocaching app for the N9, the only thing I am really missing.

Posts: 560 | Thanked: 423 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by tonysc View Post
I tried these three, but I couldn't get the AGTL to install on my N9, I get the error;

"Can't install Unable to trace installation package dependencies"

I am really looking forward to a geocaching app for the N9, the only thing I am really missing.

You will have to run an
Code:
apt-get install -f
afterwards to resolve the dependencies, then it worked for me.

Sadly, the versions TimoJyrinki compiled seem not to work very well:
KatkeMut starts and looks very nice. It even shows some caches. and I can move around.
How ever it shows all the time the rotating "loading" circle. Also it seems not to use GPS. Even when GPS is active, the GPS button is deactivated. Tabbing on a cache never activates the (invisible/missing) "details" button which is usually at the top right corner in other cacheme versions.
This sadly makes KatkeMut not yet usable.

The AGTL port also seems not to work for me:
It shows a map and I can move around, but no caches are shown and GPS also seems not to be usable.

I compiled the latest working Maemo5-CacheMe version (0.8.9) for my N950. It works ok for me. Caches are loaded and shown, I can tab on one and get into its details. It uses the GPS and can show me the direction/distance to the position. And it even works with google maps if desired. (But not with the satellite images.
Question:
Is this due restrictions of google, or could we get this working? I know that also other maemo5 apps (Maep, Mappero,...) do not support this anymore.)

So for now, this seems to be the only working version available.
I was in contact with Till, and I undestand his reasons for discontinuing the Harmattan version.
So for now we seem to be stuck on the Maemo5 version.
I do not have much time to dig into it, but there are a few things, somebody could do to improve its usability:
- Limit amount of shown caches if zoom level is too big
- Try to make the texts/buttons in the details pages bigger (I know it is not possible for the menus, but it might be possible for the other texts/buttons)
- It opens for every detail page a new window, would be nice to close the parent one.

Beside of that I have some other issues:
Is somebody able to log into www.geocaching.com with the default browser? It never works for me, I always have to use firefox for this.
CacheMe 4 the N9, a geocaching client / MiniBible, a bible viewer / TheWord brings daily bible verses onto your phone / BatteryGraph to monitor the battery drainage / doublepress2unlock to unlock your phone with a double press onto the power button / GPRS Data Usage to monitor your GPRS data usage /
and more...

On N900 check out this: SleepAnalyser to analyse your sleep movements / PasswordMaker a for a password generator

I just packed the Maemo cacheme 0.9.10 version for Harmattan.
You can download it here: http://www.ruinelli.ch/download/
I haven't tested it very well yet, so please let me know if you have issues.

I will try to fix the icon quality and might also change its color so we can see its not the official version.
Do I have to change the name of it? Or is it enough if it is noted in the copyright that it is a modified version?
I will see if I can increase the text sizes. That should already make its usage a lot easier, even it will still look ugly.
CacheMe 4 the N9, a geocaching client / MiniBible, a bible viewer / TheWord brings daily bible verses onto your phone / BatteryGraph to monitor the battery drainage / doublepress2unlock to unlock your phone with a double press onto the power button / GPRS Data Usage to monitor your GPRS data usage /
and more...

On N900 check out this: SleepAnalyser to analyse your sleep movements / PasswordMaker a for a password generator

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic

The cacheme author luckily just released the source code of the abandoned QML port.
Nice to know this! That QML version of Cacheme seems to have quite a nice QML file selector - I was looking for the source while trying to get it working in my application (Mieru).

I had to port to AGTL from PyQt to PySide (I've never used either but there was pretty straight-forward guide). Unfortunately some drawing problems seem to have raisen.
From the Maemo package site for AGTL it looks like it has a dependency on Hildon - how did you get rid of it ?

The Following User Says Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 8 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Sep 2011 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by caco3
I compiled the latest working Maemo5-CacheMe version (0.8.9) for my N950. It works ok for me.
Was there something problematic in the installation of cacheme package from my repository? Anyway, it indeed works, it's just ugly. Somehow I didn't notice the GPS working either, but I didn't try hard.

So for now we seem to be stuck on the Maemo5 version.
Yes, unless the QML version is picked up by someone. There seems to be potential licensing problems, though, reading a Finnish forum... Till is quoted to being unsure if to actually release the QML source code with GPL in addition to the gcbrowser and gpx plugins. The packaging he has made states GPL as the license, but the files miss the headers.

Given that, I'd see that investigating AGTL more would be a good option as well which is stricly licensed as open source. Reworking the UI in Python with PySide might be easier than reworking CacheMe's code, and the AGTL upstream might be more willing to support Harmattan UI officially.

Originally Posted by MartinK
From the Maemo package site for AGTL it looks like it has a dependency on Hildon - how did you get rid of it ?
By noticing that in addition to Hildon/GTK UI there is a Qt UI written inside AGTL But as mentioned, it was written in PyQt so I switched it to PySide supported in Harmattan. The applied port_to_pyside.patch and provide_qt_launcher.patch are inside the source tarball.

The Following User Says Thank You to TimoJyrinki For This Useful Post:
Was there something problematic in the installation of cacheme package from my repository?
No, but I wasnt aware of your port
By that time I was already in contact with Till.

Yes, unless the QML version is picked up by someone. There seems to be potential licensing problems, though, reading a Finnish forum... Till is quoted to being unsure if to actually release the QML source code with GPL in addition to the gcbrowser and gpx plugins. The packaging he has made states GPL as the license, but the files miss the headers.
For sure a QML version would be much nicer.
How ever for me it seems to be the quicker way to work a bit on the UI of the Maemo5 version. I tried to port my SleepAnalyer to QML but got really frustrated and stopped my mork on the Harmattan version, at least for now.

I started to fix the button and text sizes of the maemo5 version (for Harmattan) and will post it here once I am happy with it.
I got in contact with Till, if he is OK with it, we could integrate my changes into the disabandened Harmattan version, so we would have an official CacheMe for Harmattan, even it's ugly, but functional.
Else I might have to change its name, icons and many other things

Given that, I'd see that investigating AGTL more would be a good option as well which is stricly licensed as open source. Reworking the UI in Python with PySide might be easier than reworking CacheMe's code, and the AGTL upstream might be more willing to support Harmattan UI officially.
I never really was happy with AGTL, even on the N900. The symbols are to small and I still struggle to understand how to use it.
But if you want to work on that, 2 apps for sure would be better than one app.

BTW:
On the Cacheme version for Harmattan I noted, that the compass is 90° off (shows tho east instead north). Can somebody confirm this?
The Nokia "Compass" app seems to be correct.
and more...

My compass seems to be about 90 degrees off as well. Just tried the CacheMe app, and although it works, it's terrible. I loved it on my N900 though, and if someone is working on making a decent Harmattan version, I'm happy.