Yet another fanboy pissing contest love it.

Amoled rules. Much better colors. Color is much more important than insane ppi. But of course, insane ppi + amoled would rule even more. I understand your (OP) question though. Nokia should know by know that insane specs sell more than common sense. Hence the 808 PureView

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
They better have something to brag about. iPhone 4s camera beats lumia or n9 8 mp cameras hands down:

http://www.gsmarena.com/8mp_shootout...review-673.php

Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
They better have something to brag about. iPhone 4s camera beats lumia or n9 8 mp cameras hands down:

http://www.gsmarena.com/8mp_shootout...review-673.php
The N9 camera doesn't impress. The N8 camera is so much better (understandably but still) . I even think the N900 camera is better than the N9. Even EDoF cameras take better pictures. Maybe it's something in the OS?

Posts: 411 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Cambridge, UK
Forget retina display, when is Nokia going to release a phone with Airport?

The Following User Says Thank You to Tedri Mark For This Useful Post:
I guess someone is really jealous of success. A normal human reaction. The 800x480 resolution that nokia phones carry is sooooooo yesterday. Windows found a hardware handicapped Nokia as a partner. Lumia 800 visual experience on my phone is better than N9, but still inferior to iPhone 4s. Retina display or whatever you want to call it is truly superior. Read the links above by resolution experts.
I think you mean Nokia found a software handicapped windows as a partner. Windows phone does not allow anything above 800x480 on any phone. Even if Nokia wanted to they couldn't put anything higher on it. If anything Nokia went downhill since then, they were initially pushing high PPI more than Apple. When I got an N900 it had more than twice the resolution of the iPhone's measly 320 × 480.

Resolution experts? who are they, what do they do? "This has a higher number therefore I conclude that it is better". Doesn't take a rocket scientist does it.

If however you are talking about the brightness test results then that doesn't paint the whole picture either. Brightness is often about visibility i.e beating external sources of light like sunlight. When doing that you need to take into consideration other factors like anti-reflective coatings, transflective screens, etc.

If it's PPI and resolution that turns you on then you shouldn't even be getting excited over the iPhones "retina display". It's a marketing buzz word for something that Apple is not even a leader in. The Xperia S already beats "retina display"

Xperia S: 341ppi 720 x 1280
iPhone 4S: 326ppi 640×960

Last edited by Cue; 2012-03-26 at 03:54.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:
Steve Jobs in the key note himself said in Apples' keynote, that anything with over 300 pixels per inch is "too detailed" that each individual pixel is invisible to the human eye.

So going by Apple's definition, a "Retina Display" is any display with over 300ppi.

The iPhone 4 and 4S easily achieve this (329ppi) because they have such small (3.5") screens. The Nokia E6 does have a "Retina Display" (326ppi) because the 640x480 pixels are squished into a 2.46" profile. Disappointingly The Apple iPad (3rd gen) does NOT have "Apple Retina Display" since its only 264 ppi, none of the previous versions do.

Hell even my SG NOTE doesn't have it, at only 285ppi. The Gnex has a smaller resolution than the NOTE but it does have a Retina Display (315ppi) thanks to its smaller 4.65inch size, however it feels inferior to the NOTE from my own user experience. So to be honest, anything over 250ppi is really going overboard. I rather companies put that extra effort into making the screen with deeper blacks and brighter whites, or other characteristics such as screen reflection, finger smudges and viewing angles.

I mean an iPhone with 960x640 resolution on a 4.6inch (251ppi) space would be ideal to the user to make better use of that space to add in more buttons/icons and better viewing experience (movies, browsing etc). And it would only be marginally larger than the current version with an edge-to-edge display (little bezel).

Samsung is realizing this, while Apple is regretting it.
iOS is dependant on pixel count, whereas Android is scalable...making Android more future-proof and always one step ahead.

I'm flattered

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
Steve Jobs in the key note himself said in Apples' keynote, that anything with over 300 pixels per inch is "too detailed" that each individual pixel is invisible to the human eye.

So going by Apple's definition, a "Retina Display" is any display with over 300ppi.

The iPhone 4 and 4S easily achieve this (329ppi) because they have such small (3.5") screens. The Nokia E6 does have a "Retina Display" (326ppi) because the 640x480 pixels are squished into a 2.46" profile. Disappointingly The Apple iPad (3rd gen) does NOT have "Apple Retina Display" since its only 264 ppi, none of the previous versions do.

Hell even my SG NOTE doesn't have it, at only 285ppi. The Gnex has a smaller resolution than the NOTE but it does have a Retina Display (315ppi) thanks to its smaller 4.65inch size, however it feels inferior to the NOTE from my own user experience. So to be honest, anything over 250ppi is really going overboard. I rather companies put that extra effort into making the screen with deeper blacks and brighter whites, or other characteristics such as screen reflection, finger smudges and viewing angles.

I mean an iPhone with 960x640 resolution on a 4.6inch (251ppi) space would be ideal to the user to make better use of that space to add in more buttons/icons and better viewing experience (movies, browsing etc). And it would only be marginally larger than the current version with an edge-to-edge display (little bezel).

Samsung is realizing this, while Apple is regretting it.
iOS is dependant on pixel count, whereas Android is scalable...making Android more future-proof and always one step ahead.
Just to point out, your six is upside down, the iPhone 4/4S are 326ppi not 329ppi.

Agreed that other aspects are just as important but I think the iPhone display actually has the other aspects fairly well covered. The iPhone 4 has a 24bit IPS TFT display as does the Xperia S (not sure of the exact TFT technology used but the colour depth is the same and the viewing angles look similar on inspection).

This is in contrast to most other phones which only have 16bit displays. The current Lumias are also only 16bit. What makes it double worse for the lumia (most windows phones in the wild actually) is that their poor resolution and PPI do not mask any dithering applied to hide the colour banding.

This brings me to a good point about the software handicapped Nokia actually. If Lumiaman is listening. Nokia were designing for the WP7 spec which only allowed 800x480 16bit as the standard. There was in fact a case where HTC went outside of this spec (to the better side) but a windows phone update intentionally crippled peoples phones until MS could change the standard spec.

http://wmpoweruser.com/microsoft-adm...its-by-design/

Last edited by Cue; 2012-03-26 at 06:11.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Cue View Post
Just to point out, your six is upside down, the iPhone 4/4S are 326ppi not 329ppi.

Agreed that other aspects are just as important but I think the iPhone display actually has the other aspects fairly well covered. The iPhone 4 has a 24bit IPS TFT display as does the Xperia S (not sure of the exact TFT technology used but the colour depth is the same and the viewing angles look similar on inspection).

This is in contrast to most other phones which only have 16bit displays. The current Lumias are also only 16bit. What makes it double worse for the lumia (most windows phones in the wild actually) is that their poor resolution and PPI do not mask any dithering applied to hide the colour banding.

This brings me to a good point about the software handicapped Nokia actually. If Lumiaman is listening. Nokia were designing for the WP7 spec which only allowed 800x480 16bit as the standard. There was in fact a case where HTC went outside of this spec (to the better side) but a windows phone update intentionally crippled peoples phones until MS could change the standard spec.

http://wmpoweruser.com/microsoft-adm...its-by-design/
Oh, you're right.
I used the PPI Calculator. And if Apple were specific of having 326ppi then it must have exactly 325-327ppi...which brings me to my next point. The iPhone 4 (and probably 4S too) don't have a 3.5 inch screen. They have a 3.53 inch screen: an additional 0.03 inches than stated, only rounded down for Marketing.

Besides, Steve Jobs was wrong. To have a "Retina Display" you actually need a ppi of greater than 476, at a focul distance of 12inches from your face. If the distance is shortened (closer) then you potentially need even more pixels (thus higher ppi) for "Retina Display" until you hit the "dropzone" which is about 2 and a half inches when your eyes can't focus well anymore (it blurs) so the ppi for "Retina Display" figure drops greatly.

Actually, the screen found on the iPhone 4, 4S and iPad 3 are IPS LCD's and are one of the best in the industry in-terms of many features. It's like comparing two 32in 1080p TV's, one from Samsung and another against a nameless Chinese OEM...its obvious the Samsung is superior thanks to better aspects (colour reproductivity, speed, transflection, viewing angles, black ratio, brightness, colour temperature etc etc).

What I was trying to say was that a 240ppi display doesn't look any worse than a 320ppi one. Having a larger display is more practical for the mobile user. So OEMs shouldnt race only for higher ppi's they should try to find a balance; like a super-high end display, that's large (practical) and with a modest (240) ppi

Example:
Having a lower resolution of 1190 x 700 on 5.3inch on my SG NOTE instead of 1280 x 800. That's 23% less pixels (260ppi), which I would happily "put up with" if it instead had a Plus screen: for improved aspect, colours and removing the "PenTile annoyance".

I'm flattered

Last edited by Kangal; 2012-03-26 at 07:10.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
Oh, you're right.
I used the PPI Calculator. And if Apple were specific of having 326ppi then it must have exactly 325-327ppi...which brings me to my next point. The iPhone 4 (and probably 4S too) don't have a 3.5 inch screen. They have a 3.53 inch screen: an additional 0.03 inches than stated, only rounded down for Marketing.

Besides, Steve Jobs was wrong. To have a "Retina Display" you actually need a ppi of greater than 476, at a focul distance of 12inches from your face. If the distance is shortened (closer) then you potentially need even more pixels (thus higher ppi) for "Retina Display" until you hit the "dropzone" which is about 2 and a half inches when your eyes can't focus well anymore (it blurs) so the ppi for "Retina Display" figure drops greatly.

Actually, the screen found on the iPhone 4, 4S and iPad 3 are IPS LCD's and are one of the best in the industry in-terms of many features. It's like comparing two 32in 1080p TV's, one from Samsung and another against a nameless Chinese OEM...its obvious the Samsung is superior thanks to better aspects (colour reproductivity, speed, transflection, viewing angles, black ratio, brightness, colour temperature etc etc)
Thanks for the links Kangal, a good read.

LCD is just a more general term for a TFT screen. TFT is a specific type of LCD. It's akin to saying "I drive a car" instead of "I drive a Prius". Almost all LCD screens today are TFT screens, including the iPhone 4/4S.

Edit: I agree with you. I like larger screens too. staring at small text for long periods irritates my eyes.

Last edited by Cue; 2012-03-26 at 07:41.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:
Posts: 81 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Romania
I guess someone is really jealous of success. A normal human reaction. The 800x480 resolution that nokia phones carry is sooooooo yesterday. Windows found a hardware handicapped Nokia as a partner. Lumia 800 visual experience on my phone is better than N9, but still inferior to iPhone 4s. Retina display or whatever you want to call it is truly superior. Read the links above by resolution experts.
c'mon man, u really think i'm jelous of apple "succes"? haha
u really think that improved screen resolution will make me buy whatewer they sell?
i think N900 has enough resolution for his dimension. i need other things to be improved. his successor disapoint me from hardware point of view, but that's it.
apple just try to make me buy from applestore ewerithing, cut my hands and make me dependent of them.

Tags
godwin’s law, pentile, screen res