Originally Posted by qole View Post
Talking about low level hackers and keeping things close to the chest, I heard someone was going to hack around on the new kernel and get it working on the current tablets, or at least have some good notes. Any idea where those notes are?
You totally busted me. I think these are my kernel chronicles in-a-nutshell:

I got in way over my head very quickly. I'm good at that. I think this was around the same time the 2nd pre-Alpha Maemo 5 SDK was released. And concurrently, Mer was starting to find its stride. So, here we had Nokia continuing to release a 2.6.27 kernel while Mer was fostering good relations with them. After going nowhere fast with kernel patching, I had a quick chat with Stskeeps and he convinced me that with a robust open-source wireless driver, nothing was keeping the kernel behind. I rationalized that there didn't seem much for me to do there, really.

Stskeeps, in that same chat, further convinced me that since all closed-source drivers had been eliminated, we could just chroot the small proprietary blobs and move on. In the meantime, I've been very busy with stuff that enhances the tablets usage for me; a main reason I own them in the first place. And hopefully someday I'll have something worth sharing...

Can I go now? Good luck (Skip to 4:28), by the way.

The Following User Says Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Congrats, that was an excellent job of qolling!
I'd call it an excercise in realism.

Tags
mer